5lb weight gain in the evening??

Options
Hey, so I'm lost within this new world of dieting. I was never a person to step on a scale once a year let alone once a day! :s I really never paid much attention to my weight before. But now that I have taken up dieting, I'm a touch conflicted with gaining 5lbs by the evening. I know that you are to gain some weight during the day but is it really normal to take on sooo much extra weight? I drink around 8-10 glasses of water/day and yes..I pee like a rece horse!! But how do I manage to wake up in the morning 5-7 lbs less than when I go to bed? Some feedback would be great! :)

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Hey, so I'm lost within this new world of dieting. I was never a person to step on a scale once a year let alone once a day! :s I really never paid much attention to my weight before. But now that I have taken up dieting, I'm a touch conflicted with gaining 5lbs by the evening. I know that you are to gain some weight during the day but is it really normal to take on sooo much extra weight? I drink around 8-10 glasses of water/day and yes..I pee like a rece horse!! But how do I manage to wake up in the morning 5-7 lbs less than when I go to bed? Some feedback would be great! :)

until you "eliminate" everything you ate, it's in there, and it has weight.

doesn't really make sense to weigh more than once a day. First thing in the morning, nude and empty. that's it.
  • ve022
    ve022 Posts: 21
    Options
    As you go through the day.. you gain water.. and you eat... and your body works through all of the material. This is why they say to weigh in at the same time every day.
  • melbraith
    melbraith Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weird, because the same thing happened to me today! I thought my scale was wrong this morning, but after day of normal eating and exercise, I was back up 5 pounds. Wondering what's going on...
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    five pounds is about average. things change you wear different clothes, you haven't pooed yet, you've eaten, retained water, rah rah rah. So many factors lol. Stick with once a day one time a week it'll keep you sane =]
  • Opeth09
    Options
    Water weight and any food you ate is going to make you weigh more than you would first thing in the morning. Personally, I don't weigh myself everyday because weight fluctuates too much. I weigh myself usually every monday first thing at the gym. If you weigh yourself once a week, you'll be able to tell if you met your goal of losing weight.
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I go through this almost daily. Generally its water for me. I am an OCD weigher. I've learned to only count the morning weigh ins. ;)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Normal weight fluctuation can be anywhere from 5-10 pounds in any 24 hour period.

Remember this, 8 oz of water weighs a half pound. Drink 2 back to back, and you've just gained a pound.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Stop obsessing over the scale.
    Weigh yourself in the morning after a good poo but before breakfast. You can also track body fat here: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
    Record your weight daily and track the trend and adjust your calories according to these measurements.

Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!

And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES~!

That's it.

It's actually quite simple.
    The easy part is the what to do; the hard part is the doing.

Good Luck!
  • aprilc1982
    Options
    I know I am to only weigh in the morning etc. Like I said, I'm not usually a person to go on the scale. I just found that 5lbs was pretty extreme! Thanks ladies
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that no one has really spelled out the process for weighing yourself. As MFP suggests, you should weigh yourself ONCE every 7 days at the SAME time. Always in the morning (or the evening if you're a day sleeper), nude, after you go to the bathroom.

There are a lot of reasons your weight might fluctuate and the method suggested by MFP is not theirs that they made up. It's the most scientifically correct way to go about it. Note: it's never a sure thing.

I happen to weigh 5 lbs heavier in the middle of the week even if I do weigh myself in the morning. By Wednesday, work has me so stressed out that I retain water like crazy. Also, I have non-exercise days and those days cause a fluctuation in my water retention. Also, what you eat matters. If I eat a burger on Saturday, I would skip my Sunday weigh-in because it can take up to 3 days for red meat to pass through your system.

I stick with a strict Sunday morning weigh-in. I never eat red meat between Thursday and Saturday (well I don't eat much to begin with anyway) and I watch my sodium very closely from Wednesday through Saturday. That way I get a more accurate weigh in.

A tip too: Don't get married to your scale. It's a surefire way to blast your confidence. Do your measurements weekly and use those as your guide. And don't forget, you lose weight first where you gained it last. So if your butt or your thighs don't get small right away, just remember, they will eventually follow...and the width of your body does not necessarily coincide with the number you will see on the scale.
  • michelerich77
    michelerich77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I got on a new scale last night and it said I had gained 7lbs. I FREAKED out.. BUT, I think it will go down. I drink like 15 glasses of water a day, and ate.. I hope its the scale! lol..
  • aprilc1982
    Options
    I'm all about high protien and mid range carbs. Its been working quite well for me. I am however at a higher weight loss due to sup shakes and 1200 cal/day..I eat half my def of cals back! Thanks for the advice and congrats on your sucess!!! :)
  • Myhighway2
    Options
    I would only weigh in once a week, you may also want to start measureing.
  • amywhite8809
    Options
    Omg fabulous question!! Ive been wondering the same! I usually weigh in the early afternoon.. like 11ish.. I weighed myself tonight at 8 and it said i hadnt lost any weight! I hadnt weighed in for a couple days, and ive been really strict almost everyday.. I knew it was impossible to not have even lost 1lb lol. I feel sooo much better now!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I got on a new scale last night and it said I had gained 7lbs. I FREAKED out.. BUT, I think it will go down. I drink like 15 glasses of water a day, and ate.. I hope its the scale! lol..

15 glasses of water = 7.5 pounds of water. Also any food you haven't excreted yet will add to your weight. No need to fret. Just take a couple trips to the bathroom.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I've seen gains if 10lbs in a day. I've seen losses of 14 lbs over just 2 or 3 days. There are many variables at play which can effect your weight at any given point. Keep in mind, whatever you eat, counts towards your weight as long as it's in your body.
  • Carlamere84
    Options
    This is completely NORMAL!!! Stick to weighing yourself in the morning ONLY, and ONLY once a week. Once a week because some days we fluctuate with our weight because of water, and you will become discouraged with this.
  • aprilc1982
    Options
    I've seen gains if 10lbs in a day. I've seen losses of 14 lbs over just 2 or 3 days. There are many variables at play which can effect your weight at any given point. Keep in mind, whatever you eat, counts towards your weight as long as it's in your body.

Thank you!!!!!!!! You actually answered my question to the fullest! :) I have been gaining but at the same time have managed to lose 10 lbs in under a week. I'm glad that it's a thing of nature and I'm not going about everything all wrong! Never needed to diet before, lol until I stopped running a year ago. So thank you for clearing that up for me! :)
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    You really do weigh less first thing in the morning. I actually had a discussion with the Peds dr I work for and told her I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that I can check my weight right before I go to bed and then check it again first thing in the morning and iI can be 2-5lbs lighter. Maybe I have a bladder the size of a gas tank and pee off that much weight in the mornings. :)I am a nurse and we are known for being able to hold our bladders and be deprived of food because we are too busy to eat lol
  • tanyasheree
    Options
    Everyone's weight fluctuates on average 2 lbs a day plus the weight of what you have consumed through out the day will also show up on the scales. I would suggest weighing your self only once a week, first thing in the morning. loosing weight is a slow process so don't get discouraged. :smile: