Counting Oatmeal?

How do you count Oatmeal? The container gives you calories for 1/2 cup dry. Made with water and nothing else it becomes about a cup cooked. But I don't see anything in the data base? Do i count a full cup dry or stay with calories for the half cup? I'm so confused!

Replies

• dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I looked at the calorie count on my oatmeal and found ones that match in the database,
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    How do you count Oatmeal? The container gives you calories for 1/2 cup dry. Made with water and nothing else it becomes about a cup cooked. But I don't see anything in the data base? Do i count a full cup dry or stay with calories for the half cup? I'm so confused!

That half a cup dry expands to one full cup, but it doesn't double in calories. If you're measuring out half a cup to cook, then use the calorie count on the container for 1/2 cup dry. Make sense?
  • Rashel_kitten
    Rashel_kitten Posts: 81 Member

That half a cup dry expands to one full cup, but it doesn't double in calories. If you're measuring out half a cup to cook, then use the calorie count on the container for 1/2 cup dry. Make sense?

i totally agree ... count the half cup ..
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    yes, only count the 1/2 cup. I just ate some and for a 1/2 cup of the brand I have (hannaford store brand) it is 150 cals. I am sure that is pretty standard for any brand?
  • And if you add sugar, butter, etc. don't for get to add them.
  • AngelKeys
    AngelKeys Posts: 10 Member
    Thank you! Makes perfect sense! And gives me a few extra calories to use elsewhere. :)