Any one else with a history of mental health problems?

Options

Replies

• teamlangston
    teamlangston Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yours might be the reverse....your mind is so fixated on the bad memories that the good memories are over-shadowed. hopefully the new therapist can help you sort this out. I am so excited for you!
  • Amh32290
    Options
    I have EXTREMELY bad anxiety, which is exactly why i am overweight,its a long story but for a good 2 1/2-3 years it debilitated me to the point where i rarely left my house. I still struggle with it but its gotten WAY better and now i want to get my old body back(or at least close to it).
  • lyssamichelle
    lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Yours might be the reverse....your mind is so fixated on the bad memories that the good memories are over-shadowed. hopefully the new therapist can help you sort this out. I am so excited for you!
    That's actually really interesting. I'm hoping so! (:
    & thank you so much! (:
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    I have EXTREMELY bad anxiety, which is exactly why i am overweight,its a long story but for a good 2 1/2-3 years it debilitated me to the point where i rarely left my house. I still struggle with it but its gotten WAY better and now i want to get my old body back(or at least close to it).
    I'm so sorry about your anxiety. I know how hard that can be. I was on this one medication back when I was medicated, I couldn't leave my house. Lasted a few months. So I can only imagine what 3 years of that would be like. Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll get the body you want! (:
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    Thank you for the link (:
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I don't have any illnesses, but I do live with three schizophrenics, my mother, father and twin brother. So I sort of know abit about it, but can't say i've thoroughly lived IN it.

My brothers has multiple issues, such as Anxiety (panic attacks), schizophrenia, and I think he was diagnosed OCD. My mom's a mild-schizophrenia, (functional) and my fathers more severe (non-functional) in terms of jobs, coping, socializing, etc etc.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link (:

You're welcome! If you search within the groups there may be more to choose from.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I have issues with depression... and fairly significant mood swings. I'm still working on me, though... it's a day to day process. I was doing great for a long time. I used to be one of the most positive people on this site (here for almost 2 years), but the past few months have been so hard for me, and in turn, I've lost a good majority of my friends here... a lot of them I deleted for no real reason... others deleted me I'm sure because of my negativity.

Sometimes people just don't understand that when someone is REALLY down... that's when we need them the most... and who knows??? You might just save that person's life...

I have some VERY supportive and caring friends on here... and that's what's important... I might not have 270 anymore... but I have a very special 41. :)
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I used to get anxiety attacks very frequently, and went through depressed episodes, which led me to anorexia. That only furthered my troubles, but since eating healthy and exercising healthily, I haven't needed any meds!! Endorphins are my drug, and they're free!!
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    I have issues with depression... and fairly significant mood swings. I'm still working on me, though... it's a day to day process. I was doing great for a long time. I used to be one of the most positive people on this site (here for almost 2 years), but the past few months have been so hard for me, and in turn, I've lost a good majority of my friends here... a lot of them I deleted for no real reason... others deleted me I'm sure because of my negativity.

Sometimes people just don't understand that when someone is REALLY down... that's when we need them the most... and who knows??? You might just save that person's life...

I have some VERY supportive and caring friends on here... and that's what's important... I might not have 270 anymore... but I have a very special 41. :)
    I understand what you mean, 100%, even when I'm feeling down I try to stay just a bit positive.. No matter how I feel, I'd much rather make sure other people feel okay. I guess that comes off as fake, my friends from high school used to delete me all the time.
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    I used to get anxiety attacks very frequently, and went through depressed episodes, which led me to anorexia. That only furthered my troubles, but since eating healthy and exercising healthily, I haven't needed any meds!! Endorphins are my drug, and they're free!!
    I'm so happy for you! If only that fixed everything, lol ):
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    I killed my own thread.. ):
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I am diagnosed bipolar and ADHD. I am medicated and do very well. Like you, I don't remember much of my childhood. Not sure why that is! Do you see a psychatrist? If not, I highly recommend it. Treatment is the best thing that happened to me!
    I don't yet, I just found a place near my house. It would be free for me. Which is great. I've been on medication before.. Whatever it was I was on made everything so much worse.. I've never even fully recovered. I'm looking forward too it. (:
    I'm really happy for you though! (:
    It was a long road getting to the right combination of medicine. Some of the things we tried were hell, but if you go through the process, you will find what works for you.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Are we the same person?
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    Are we the same person?
    I've had dreams of people saying this to me.. lol
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with severe Obsessive Compulsive Disorder at age 10. Prescribed Zoloft. Zoloft caused me to become suicidal at 13. Doc switched me to Prozac. Made the decision to stop taking the meds at 15. It's a constant struggle. I had my first panic attack today, actually. it turns out that the stress from school + calorie counting + constant attention from men really, really made me go over the edge today. Rode the subway, and THREE men made comments, from smacking their lips to talking about my thighs. Unfortunately, "street harassment" happens fairly often to me, but never have I had three separate people harass me in such a way.

These all seem unrelated, but serotonin levels cause all of these things to be heightened.
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    It was a long road getting to the right combination of medicine. Some of the things we tried were hell, but if you go through the process, you will find what works for you.
    I know back at the beginning, I just couldn't deal & mom wasn't okay with any type of trail and error thing. It's a dead end though, so it's my only option lol. Thank you though. Kind of gives me some sort of peaceful feeling.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

Past experiences (like your father's alcoholism) can act as triggers for the mental issues we face. It's good that you recognize that and realize that you, too, could easily be affected by alcoholism. It's a super slippery slope, so take care of yourself, love <3
  • lyssamichelle
    Options
    To the OP:

Past experiences (like your father's alcoholism) can act as triggers for the mental issues we face. It's good that you recognize that and realize that you, too, could easily be affected by alcoholism. It's a super slippery slope, so take care of yourself, love <3
    Thank you doll.
    I'm really sorry for the scum you come across ): I hope everything works out for you. Most of the time, instead of meds, there are healthy natural ways to keep "your head on straight" I've read about them in my old therapists office. Good luck to you ♥