Calorie counting....How much has it worked for you??

Options
I have just starting using MFP five days ago. So far in five days I have started watching closely what I have been eating and have been doing extremely well with my calorie counting. In five days, I have lost four pounds. I have been drinking tons of water also. I have not started exercising yet, but I plan on starting once I get my eating habits down pact. I know exercise will help, but I'm doing this one step at a time, this time. :)

I was just wondering how much of an impact calorie counting has had on everyone. How much has it helped even without exercise?? Thanks!!

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's worked 30 lbs worth for me. :) I don't do a lot of exercise due to disability, so much of what I do is calorie counting. 2 warnings though-- often in the first couple of weeks you lose a lot of weight, mostly water, and then slow down. Also when you start exercising your muscles will retain water in order to repair themselves, which can be very frustrating if you're tied to your scale. Just wanted to let you know that it does work, but it takes patience. :)
  • amonkey9
    Options
    Definitely taught me a lot. I was eating wayyy to little, still am actually but as yos said I am bringing it up one step at a time :) currently I am working to get a liitle over 900, one day I will get up to 1100.
    Its worth it to watch those calories, Good Luck!
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am short and not that far away from my goal weight counting calories is the only way for me to lose weight and lately it hasnt been working that well but I know I will get back into a groove. or at least i hope :)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    its the only thing that really works for me. when i was in high school i went to the gym almost daily and never lost weight... now that i count my calories and pay attention to what im actually eating its made a world of difference. i dont exercise to lose weight anymore, thats what calorie counting is for. i exercise to keep my body healthy and to get it into the shape i want :)
    i do agree completely with amber - the first week or two youll lose a lot of water weight. dont be frustrated when it slows down, or if the scale shows a gain when you start exercising. its part of the journey, and being healthy is so much more than a number on the scale :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think working on your eating first is an excellent place to start. Too many people think they can continue eating as they were, go to the gym and all is solved. For most people, this simply isn't true. I've heard/read the saying "You can't work out a bad diet" and I believe it.

This isn't to say you can't have treats and enjoy life, but I think learning about calorie counting and focusing on your food first is an excellent start. :)

That all being said, learning about portion sizes has been the biggest change for me. Until I started paying attention to that stuff and counting my calories, I had a pretty screwed up view of a portion size. So, I would say - learning that and learning how to count calories properly has helped me a lot.
  • Nos150
    Nos150 Posts: 150
    Options
    3 months almost 30 pounds
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I think working on your eating first is an excellent place to start. Too many people think they can continue eating as they were, go to the gym and all is solved. For most people, this simply isn't true. I've heard/read the saying "You can't work out a bad diet" and I believe it.

This isn't to say you can't have treats and enjoy life, but I think learning about calorie counting and focusing on your food first is an excellent start. :)

That all being said, learning about portion sizes has been the biggest change for me. Until I started paying attention to that stuff and counting my calories, I had a pretty screwed up view of a portion size. So, I would say - learning that and learning how to count calories properly has helped me a lot.

^^^This
    and it has helped me hold myself accountable for what I'm eating instead of sitting around and saying "why am I gaining this weight!!?" Now I know why, its a hand to mouth kinda thing. :wink:
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I dove in head first, and came out on the bright side...Changed the way I ate, and started working out at the same time. (not the route for everyone). I lost a total of 96 pounds from March 2011 to early aug 2011....I've been mantaing within a few pounds since the end of aug 2011...I sitll work out, but I quick add my cals instead of logging each item. (these are steps that have worked for me)...Good luck to you! :)
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    It worked great for me. It lost me just enough to get started on an exercise program as well. Welcome, and good luck!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It made all the difference in the world for me. Before, I was just winging it and trying to "eat healthier" which was not working because I lacked consistency.

MFP keeps me on track and accountable in a way I struggled to do on my own.

I struggle with exercise because my heart is not functioning like it should, so doing this with diet alone has been great because I still feel empowered to do it and get down to business.

Good stuff.
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    Tracking my calorie consumption has been an essential part of the process. It helped me learn what I was eating and plan ahead.
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Helping me work to a new life style. Understand the impact of food and thinking about what am eating and what is going in my body. Having the app on my smart phone been so helpful. sometimes when i really feel like something bad i put it in and then see the calories and work out if is worth, that oftens puts me off. Also shows how important excercise is and that balance and still being allowed food, just being careful.
  • amikad
    amikad Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have had great success so far with counting calories. Like another person said I exercise for health not for weight loss. It feels so awesome to know that I don't have to work myself to death trying to get high calorie burns so I can lose a pound or two. I have lost close to the same amount of weight years ago by working out several times a day and a lot of walking from one place to the next, but it wasn't sustainable because first it was a very slow loss, weather became my excuse, and once the winter was over I was already into my routine of grazing on the couch all day. So this time around I did more research and found an appropriate process for me. It has been working so far...