Weight gain after exercising

Options
I really don't understand it. My scale showed a 4 lbs. weight loss over the weekend after I started exercising for the first time. It showed another weight loss of 5 lbs. yesterday morning. I worked out on the treadmill, weight machines and then the NuStep. This morning I hurt all over and I show a weight gain of 9 lbs. I don't get it. 9 lbs. in one day! Anyone have any ideas?:cry:

Replies

• phlpsfamily01
    phlpsfamily01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself everyday. Your body fluctuates naturally. Weigh once a week same time same way.
  • clairer2282
    Options
    Are you sure your scales are right? You wouldn't gain that much muscle in 1 day. Did you drink a lot of water? Maybe it's water weight, or your monthly cycle?
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Muscles repair themselves after exercise by filling with water, well liquid.

Its normal, its healthy and it will go away as soon as your aches do. Keep on keeping on and disregard the scale,
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    you are weighing yourself too often. You may not like it but it is true. I don't understand it but you can be heavier (but leaner) from a lot of exercise.

Try not to obsess with the scales and have goals outside weight. It is about being happy as much as losing weight.

Focus on being happy and working hard and before you know it you will be there.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    You're probably rigtht, I am getting ready to start. My joints and legs are a little swollen. It's just irritating to see a gain when you've worked so hard.
  • irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Muscles repair themselves after exercise by filling with water, well liquid.

Its normal, its healthy and it will go away as soon as your aches do. Keep on keeping on and disregard the scale,

^^ this^^ It is very normal to gain weight at the beginning of a new exercise routine. This is a big reason why people get discouraged and quit. Give it a few weeks and you will see a big change in the way you look and feel !
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    There are about 3500 calories in a pound.
    If you gained 9 pounds, but did not eat an excess of 9X3500=31,500 calories, then its probably water. Many large weight fluctuations are loss or gain of fluids and a natural process.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    There are about 3500 calories in a pound.
    If you gained 9 pounds, but did not eat an excess of 9X3500=31,500 calories, then its probably water. Many large weight fluctuations are loss or gain of fluids and a natural process.

^^^^ exactly!
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yep, chairless is right... your muscles are repairing themselves, and they retain quite a bit of fluid in that process. Its temporary, so no need to worry. Its a good sign, actually, it means your muscles are growing. If this bothers you, perhaps don't weigh yourself for a few days following a hard workout... let the soreness go away, and the fluid will go also.
  • TurtleCrush
    Options
    Just by taking a quick glance at your diary I would say you need to change your food diary so you can see your sodium and sugars.
    I struggle with these like most people and they could be a reason for a plateau or even a gain. Hope this helps!!
    Big hugs,
    Rebekah
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    One gallon of pure water weighs 8 lbs. I would chalk it up to water weight. I gained 1 lb in 5 minutes this morning, after drinking 8 oz of water.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Just by taking a quick glance at your diary I would say you need to change your food diary so you can see your sodium and sugars.
    I struggle with these like most people and they could be a reason for a plateau or even a gain. Hope this helps!!
    Big hugs,
    Rebekah

I wouldn't bother keeping track of the sugars. All you have to do is eat one piece of fruit and you're almost maxed out on your daily sugar! No. Sugars are a form of carbohydrate, so i'd keep an eye on those and ignore the sugar. You know whether you've been eating good or bad sugars.
  • TammyLynne71
    TammyLynne71 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    after this happening to me I asked my friend who is a trainer at the gym as she said that your muscles swell up and hold water after a workout.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    One gallon of pure water weighs 8 lbs. I would chalk it up to water weight. I gained 1 lb in 5 minutes this morning, after drinking 8 oz of water.

I never knew this
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It's what they said about the muscles swelling with water to repair. That would be the reason. Never weigh after a workout (it sets yourself up to feel like you just worked your *kitten* off for nothing). Definitely make sure you're drinking lots of water and to weigh weekly.
  • kellsma
    kellsma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am sure it is frustrating. I am like you and weigh everyday and Wei before I workout and after I workout. Wish I would stop that. Just continue what you are doing and also drink lots of water as that will help you overall with any swelling. Hugs to you!