How long does it take to show weight loss/gain

Options
This may be a dumb question, but how long does it take to show if you gained weight from whatever you ate over the course of a few days. I weighed in this morning after a weekend of not tracking calories and I am not showing that I gained anything...is this right or has my body not processed all the junk food I ate over memorial day???

Replies

• MissesOfficer
    MissesOfficer Posts: 368
    Options
    Now this is not medical advice... but my mom said it can take up to a week... not sure if thats right or not
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I overdid it this weekend and immediately showed an increase on the scale. :grumble:
  • roadtripfool
    Options
    That's a loaded question, and frankly, everyone's body is goin' to be different, depending on metabolism, exercise, genetics, and yes, even bowel movements. :noway:

You simply have to "learn" your body. You probably know of friends that can eat whatever they want and not gain a pound...it's just a part of life. You may also know someone that can gain a few pounds in a week!

A simple rule of thumb, though...if you take in more calories than you burn, it's most likely goin' to be stored somewhere. But too many people weigh themselves too much. Your body IS going to fluctuate a few pounds EVERY DAY!!! That's why it is important to only weigh yourself around one time a week at the same time each week (say Sunday morning, for example).

Case and point...if you drink 8 cups (4 bottles) of water after a run (64 oz.), YOU WILL GAIN FOUR POUNDS right on the spot!!!! A gallon (128 oz.) of water weighs 8 pounds, so it's only logical! Of course, after a half hour, much of that may be lost through sweat and evaporation (intense exercises can make you lose that much weight in water, as well). That doesn't mean go exercise and lose four pounds of water and not replenish...that will simply be detrimental to your overall health. This is just an example. (It's the same with any food, too. If you eat a 1/4 cheeseburger, you will immediately gain 1/4 pound! Plus whatever the bun, fries, and drink weigh! Some will be used for your body's processes like pumping blood, etc., some will be sent to the ol' toilet, and some will be stored somewhere...probably as fat if it's greasy food, maybe as lean tissue or muscle if it's healthier food, and you have an active lifestyle).

So...there is no "simple" answer. You just have to learn and know your body. But again, if you take in more than you burn, it's probably goin' to show somewhere in the long run. Just picture a big bucket with a small hole in the bottom. As long as you slowly pour gas into the bucket, the hole in the bottom will be able to keep up with letting the gas out. But if you pour a ton of gas in at once, the hole can't keep up, and the gas will overflow and go somewhere else. :cry: Now, that hole is your burning of calories (through exercise, metabolism, etc.). As long as you only give the body what it needs in terms of calories, your body will be able to burn off those calories and not have fat stored anywhere (which is why we daily count our calories!!!). BUT if you pour in too much gas, it's goin' to overflow and go be stored somewhere as....fat most likely!!! (Also, if you pour in too LESS gas, it's goin' to cause havoc, too, because your body needs a certain amount of "gas" to function. With too little, the engine will sputter and not perform like it should).

Now...And if you had a bad day or days, well, start over again! Don't be waitin' for it to show! Go walk for a half hour and burn off those "possible" calories from bein' stored somewhere!!!!

Wow, that turned out to be long! Wish ya the best!
  • johnsoag
    johnsoag Posts: 59
    Options
    I think it depends on what type of food you are eating. high in carbs, sugar, etc. :smile:
    I would imagine if you are trying to gain weight, junk food wouldn't be the best. multigrain pasta and breads. anything high in carbs. it stays with you longer and takes more to burn off.

hope this helps!
    AJ
  • Joyous
    Joyous Posts: 1
    Options
    I have heard from both Weight Watchers and LA Weight Loss that it will sometimes take up to three days to see the true results.

Good luck!
    Joyous
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    To my knowledge, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. Sure if we overeat all the time, we'll gain...that's pretty much why we're here to begin with. But there are weeks when I do everything right and work out and stay within my calories and come weigh in day....nothing. I either gain half a pound or lose nothing. Then there are other weeks where I eat like a pig (like this one) and I dread weigh in day, only to find out I lost a few pounds. So I don't know.

The thing I try to keep in mind, is that tomorrow is another day, and that next week is another weigh in, so if I did bad this week, there is always next week and I try to look at my overall weight loss, rather than judging myself on this one week. Easier said than done I know.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    That's a loaded question, and frankly, everyone's body is goin' to be different, depending on metabolism, exercise, genetics, and yes, even bowel movements. :noway:

You simply have to "learn" your body. You probably know of friends that can eat whatever they want and not gain a pound...it's just a part of life. You may also know someone that can gain a few pounds in a week!

A simple rule of thumb, though...if you take in more calories than you burn, it's most likely goin' to be stored somewhere. But too many people weigh themselves too much. Your body IS going to fluctuate a few pounds EVERY DAY!!! That's why it is important to only weigh yourself around one time a week at the same time each week (say Sunday morning, for example).

Case and point...if you drink 8 cups (4 bottles) of water after a run (64 oz.), YOU WILL GAIN FOUR POUNDS right on the spot!!!! A gallon (128 oz.) of water weighs 8 pounds, so it's only logical! Of course, after a half hour, much of that may be lost through sweat and evaporation (intense exercises can make you lose that much weight in water, as well). That doesn't mean go exercise and lose four pounds of water and not replenish...that will simply be detrimental to your overall health. This is just an example. (It's the same with any food, too. If you eat a 1/4 cheeseburger, you will immediately gain 1/4 pound! Plus whatever the bun, fries, and drink weigh! Some will be used for your body's processes like pumping blood, etc., some will be sent to the ol' toilet, and some will be stored somewhere...probably as fat if it's greasy food, maybe as lean tissue or muscle if it's healthier food, and you have an active lifestyle).

So...there is no "simple" answer. You just have to learn and know your body. But again, if you take in more than you burn, it's probably goin' to show somewhere in the long run. Just picture a big bucket with a small hole in the bottom. As long as you slowly pour gas into the bucket, the hole in the bottom will be able to keep up with letting the gas out. But if you pour a ton of gas in at once, the hole can't keep up, and the gas will overflow and go somewhere else. :cry: Now, that hole is your burning of calories (through exercise, metabolism, etc.). As long as you only give the body what it needs in terms of calories, your body will be able to burn off those calories and not have fat stored anywhere (which is why we daily count our calories!!!). BUT if you pour in too much gas, it's goin' to overflow and go be stored somewhere as....fat most likely!!! (Also, if you pour in too LESS gas, it's goin' to cause havoc, too, because your body needs a certain amount of "gas" to function. With too little, the engine will sputter and not perform like it should).

Now...And if you had a bad day or days, well, start over again! Don't be waitin' for it to show! Go walk for a half hour and burn off those "possible" calories from bein' stored somewhere!!!!

Wow, that turned out to be long! Wish ya the best!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I agree with this and everyone else that posted.

Everyone is different...........I have a friend that has a cheat weekend and always shows a loss on the scale the following week, go figure....... :grumble: :grumble: