Finding time...

Options
I'm not making excuses, as I do have time to exercise, but I find it really difficult getting up at 6.30am, sorting a toddler, working 8.30-5.30 everyday, picking up from Nursery, supper, bedtime routine and finally sorting dinner out, around 7.30pm....by 8pm i'm either shattered or so hungry I need to eat.

Any tips for fitting in some exercise??

I try and do 20 sit ups every morning (only day 3 so will build it up) and i'm planning on running on a weekend when my husband is around to watch our son.

I know I could do 20-30 minutes on Wii Fit or Kinnect but like I said by the time i've sorted my son (husband doesn't get home until late), and then sorted dinner or put washing on, tidied up etc etc, I'm completely exhausted. Maybe I need some super foods for supper to give me a boost in energy....any ideas???

Claire x

Replies

• theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I also work all day and have three kids. Like you, I am truly exhausted by the evening. There is no way I can work out at night except I occasionally run outside, which I enjoy.

The only solution for me was to get up and do it before work. My husband and I wake up at 4:30, drink a cup of coffee, and start our workouts by 5.

Does it totally suck the first few weeks of waking up that early? Yep. Totally. But I promise that you get used to it AND it will help you feel more energetic during your busy day of working and being a mom.

The other solution is to work out a lunch but that doesn't go so well unless you can shower at work. I can but it's just a hassle that I rarely do it.

Good luck!
  • fsukunce
    Options
    I am curious to see the responses here as well because I am finding the same problem and thus I am only working on my eating habits and portion control right now!

Good Luck!!
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Have you considered getting up at 6am and doing your work out before the little one gets up? Is that even an option? What kind of lunch break do you get at work? Would it be possible to take a 20-30 min brisk walk during your lunch break? Is there anyway that you can leave your son at the nursery for an extra half hour to get a walk in or if he's young enough put him in a stroller and take him with you? Do you have a gym near by that has a child minding service where you could go after dinner before he goes to bed and they could watch him?

Hope that helps! Best of luck!!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Eat a snack before working out. :)
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    I have your exact same schedule, take a look at my blog for some tips. One thing I've done is to constantly think about what I can do throughout the day. Get a pedometer, and start walking as much as you can. My goal is my user name: 10 thousand steps a day. For instance, after every bathroom break walk or jog in place 5 minutes. At lunch I always try to walk at least 10 minutes. On the phone with a client, walk it vrs sitting down. etc. When your at home watching tv at night, jog in place. I know you don't feel like it now, but as you increase what you do you'll start to feel better and you'll have more energy. Then one day you'll set that alarm just a little bit earlier and you'll walk or run to get a head start not because you feel like you have to, but because you want to. Also at work, just do random 30 second breaks of pushups and other exercises like that that are weight free. You can do it!!!! :smile:
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    is there anyway for you to fit something into a lunch or a break?? Getting up earlier is hard, but once you do it a couple times it because like any other routine you have. I would prefer to work out in the morning but that means I would have to be up by 3am, which I refuse to do so i make myself do it at night HA! i actually have to be at work at 6. I would say maybe find little things to do at work on breaks or lunch. Every time I go to the washroom I do 20 squats or leg lifts or something. even jumping jacks
  • yesiwillbeloosingit
    Options
    I'm not making excuses, as I do have time to exercise, but I find it really difficult getting up at 6.30am, sorting a toddler, working 8.30-5.30 everyday, picking up from Nursery, supper, bedtime routine and finally sorting dinner out, around 7.30pm....by 8pm i'm either shattered or so hungry I need to eat.

Any tips for fitting in some exercise??

I try and do 20 sit ups every morning (only day 3 so will build it up) and i'm planning on running on a weekend when my husband is around to watch our son.

I know I could do 20-30 minutes on Wii Fit or Kinnect but like I said by the time i've sorted my son (husband doesn't get home until late), and then sorted dinner or put washing on, tidied up etc etc, I'm completely exhausted. Maybe I need some super foods for supper to give me a boost in energy....any ideas???

Claire x

The fact is that when your body gets used to exercising you will have so much more energy to do your everyday things. It is hard to get up earlier to fit in 30 mins of exercise, but if you do - you will notice that already after a few days, you will feel so much more energetic through the whole day.

You could also turn "watching our son" into an exercise. Go out for walk with him - play games like football, jump on a trampoline - every small move matters.

I don't know what you normally eat, but green tea, and blueberries are a great source of energy for me :)
  • njoithomp
    Options
    Its take about 21 days of consistency to make a habit. Getting up earlier than normal needs to be a habit in order to do it easily. If you can commit to at least 21 days of getting up at 5:30 instead of 6:30 and then workout first thing in the morning, you will actually have way more energy for the entire day. Working out early gets it out of the way so your schedule is not bogged down, raises your metabolism for the remainder of the day, is very motivational mentally to stick to your meal plan, and creates endorphins that make you feel good and ready to tackle the world. Just decide its not hard to get up earlier and then just do it. It may be hard at first but self talk is a power thing and if you develop a mantra that its easy or you are an early bird or you love to get up super early, it will actually become easy for you! Good luck.
  • bella2509
    bella2509 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice....I can't work out at lunchtime (no showers) but your right I can go for a brisk 10-15 minute walk in my lunch hour. I can also get up half an hour earlier, I know its just a case of breaking the habit of getting up at 6.30 and getting used to a 6.00am start instead.

I will also think about little exercises throughout the day, and walk over to see someone instead of picking up the phone or e-mailing.

I don't get to Nursery until just before closing time and my son then needs supper, bath and bed by 7.30pm so putting him in a gym creche doesn't really work, but maybe I could put the dance wii game on and get him to join in for 20 minutes as soon as we're home, or he can play and just laugh at Mummy!

Thanks again for all the advice!!

Claire x
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have similar problems. What I do is....
    I walk for half an hour at lunchtime. This burns at least 100 calories and is really good for your fitness level. If I manage to do a run , I usually take a rest day the next day. When i can't manage to get outside to do a run, my aim is to do some sort of exercise when the kids have gone to bed. This might be going to the gym, an exercise class, an exercise DVD or video game like wii fit . If I don't manage this I try to make my housework count by doing it quickly and using more energy. Whatever you do, I think the key is to do it at high intensity as this burns more calories and challenges your body. I don't always manage this, and to be honest since just before Christmas I have found it hard and my exercise has dropped off. But in the last couple of weeks I have been trying to get back to what I did when I first joined mfp which helped me to lose the weight I have already. I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • kcmg0730
    Options
    I was in the same boat, and I am now dragging myself out of bed 45 minutes earlier. I am very fortunate that my husband 'does' mornings, so even if our children are up before my workout, he sorts out their breakfast and stuff while I get my stuff done.
    Could your husband lend a hand in the morning so that you'd have more time?

I love working out in the mornings...I have so much more energy in the day!
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person at all & have pretty much the same schedule as you but when I was 'good' I try & get exercise done at night as its the only time I have to fit it in
    Last night I didn't get to exercise till 8.30pm and I can tell you I was in a mean mood which made me work at bit harder although I don't think my OH was happy with my mood :laugh:
    I also tried using workout dvd's too which helped but I like to get out of the house.
    I think it'll be trial and error for awhile until you get into a routine and found out what works for you and your family but don't despair you will get there.
  • SixPackIsMyGoal
    SixPackIsMyGoal Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it all comes down to choices and priorities. I used to work out in the afternoons, which will always be my preference, after work and before dinner. but with kids, school, working late, etc,etc there was always a *reason* I couldn't get to the gym. So, like many others who have replied I chose excersize as my priority. You have ti make time for yourself.

Instead of waking at 7:30 and going to sleep at midnight (after a couple hours of TV), I get up about 530 so I can get 45-60 minutes in the gym before the day starts. I am usually asleep by 10:30 and all I miss by shifting my schedule a couple hours are the TV shows I didn't really enjoy anyway! It was tough for the first month but now its just part of the morning routine that I look forward to everyday.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Hi there,

I understand. Although we do not have kids, we have a very busy lifestyle with lotsa' commuting back and forth. Anyhoo, what I try and do also is to incorporate mini-workouts at work:

- arm dips on my chair (3 sets of 15)
    - front and side planks in bathroom, leaning on the counter (3-4 sets of 30 seconds each)
    - push-ups leaning on bathroom counter ( 3-4 sets of 15)
    - abs (lift on arm rests of my chain and bring in the knees: 3 sets of 15)

And it all add up. I also try and use the stairs as much as I can in a day... I work on the 5th floor of the building so going up twice a day also adds up. It's because I work at a desk all day and it drives me nuts to just sit there!
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Ultimately it all comes down to choices and priorities. I used to work out in the afternoons, which will always be my preference, after work and before dinner. but with kids, school, working late, etc,etc there was always a *reason* I couldn't get to the gym. So, like many others who have replied I chose excersize as my priority. You have ti make time for yourself.

Instead of waking at 7:30 and going to sleep at midnight (after a couple hours of TV), I get up about 530 so I can get 45-60 minutes in the gym before the day starts. I am usually asleep by 10:30 and all I miss by shifting my schedule a couple hours are the TV shows I didn't really enjoy anyway! It was tough for the first month but now its just part of the morning routine that I look forward to everyday.

^^This. Absolutely! Hubby and I signed up for evening classes of capoeira, twice a week, 1.5 hours each. You have to shift your schedule around a bit and try to accomodate, even if only 30 minutes a day, some sort of work-out.
  • bella2509
    bella2509 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to try going to bed a bit earlier and getting up an hour earlier and go for a run...hubby is still home that time, and Oscar is usally asleep, so should work out ok....and by the sounds of it, it will set me up for the day!!

I will hopefully start this week and see how it goes!

Claire x