Heart Rate Monitor Without A Chest Strap

Options
Hello all of you lovely people and fellow fitness fanatics! :flowerforyou:

I was just wondering if any of you have recommendations for heart rate monitors WITHOUT A CHEST STRAP?

I would like one preferably under £50 but I am struggling and the pulse watches have a lot of bad reviews. I don't think I would cope with a chest strap as I can imagine a lot of chaffage haha!! :blushing:

So any recommendations would be marvellous!! Thank you all xxxx :smooched:

Replies

• anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You would be surprised with the chest strap. I don't even notice mine. I believe the bad reviews is because with no chest strap it doesn't read that well. If your going to fork out the money try one with the chest strap. If you don't like it make sure it is a returnable item
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Noo good. I have that one. When I first started I used to use it. Now I have a chest strap. Wow was the other one waaaay off..
    Chest strap all the way. Also u dont even notice its there. I forget I have mine on up until Im about ready to jump in the showers. It goes right under the lining of ur sports bra. Great investment!!
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i'd never by one without a chest strap......they aren't accurate. Honestly the chest strap you get use to and don't even realize it's there once you start to work out. If you want to get an accurate count, really the only way to go.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You do know where the strap goes right.. Under your sports bra/normal bra. They are also adjustable so you can make them as big/small as you need.

Polar is a good brand with a chest strap.. You'll prob. be looking at the FT4.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I never even notice I'm wearing the chest strap. It is no different of a feeling than wearing a bra to me, and I love knowing how much I burn :)
  • lelliebugh
    lelliebugh Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I love my polar ft4. I do not notice the chest strap at all. Plus it helps me push just a little more :)
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i have a MIO and it has no chest strap. i found it to be pretty accurate for the most part. i realized that mfp's calories were up too high once i got it. so when i was eating back my exercise calories i was eating too much. I recently compared it with a treadmill that you punch in all your personal info into and it was very similar. it's affordable and a good place to start. it's a mio classic, check it out/
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I have an inexpensive motiva petite wrist monitor. Works ok for my purposes for now. May try a chest strap next time to see if it is any more accurate. I have been happy with this, it is pretty close on the HR, though it takes time to work through the settings for some other features.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    The inaccuracy of the wrist only HRMs can lead to overconsumption of food. Not good when you're trying to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SamSlim2012
    Options
    The Scosche my Trek is the BEST on the market, though it only works with iphone 3s and above, it is a really good monitor, it pairs with your iphone by bluetooth, and an app called my Trek from the app store for free, Here is a link to the company. Enjoy!

http://www.scosche.com/health-fitness
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    There are some HRM's (I am afraid I do not know models off the top of my head) that work with or without a chest strap. That would probably be your best investment. You could try the strap, and if it doesn't work for you, you could use it without.

I will say as others that I really do not notice my strap once I get going, and on a couple of occasions I forgot about it and and walked out of the gym still wearing it.
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have two HRMS with chest straps that I love and I also have the Mio Eurofit but its terrible as a HRM Its not good at reading my heart rate.I use it as an everyday watch only! I would recommend a HRM with a chest strap and I by the looks of it i'm not alone.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    just recently got a Polar with the chest strap. The only time I noticed I was wearing it was the first time when I had it too tight. I was paranoid about it sliding down and interupting me. Come to find out, looser doesn't matter. the material is basically no slip. Now I can wear it while doing weights, walking, riding, and floor work and i don't feel it at all. I'm not a big fan of running so i don't know about that.
  • missamielou
    Options
    Thanks guys!! With all of your positive comments about chest strap I may bite the bullet and go for it. I have looked at the polar watches but then the chest strap has put me off! I am gonna do it!! Thank you xxx :flowerforyou:
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    But will the chest strap models fit xxl sizes?