MFP Runners - 1/2 Marathon Virgin.. looking for advice

Options
Hi guys!

I've decided I would like to try to complete a 1/2 marathon in April. Any other MFP peeps 1/2 marathoners or marathoners? I would love any tips, suggestions, "watch outs" etc.

I have a training plan for mileage and I know I will need to mentally prepare myself as well. What did you guys do food wise? Cut out processed foods? Increased carbs? No alcohol?

What were your "mantras" while running? Did you listen to music?

Thank you!!!

Replies

• MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I too have set my sights on a mini in April, so I'm after the same advice.
  • CornellGirl
    CornellGirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try to build up your workouts/mileage with interval training - youtube/google "interval training" (it maximizes recovery time & endurance training).

In terms of food - I would increase your protein intake - lean meats... BH Turkey with horseradish mustard is my favorite. Pre-race, wake up 2-3 hours before and have a Power Bar or a medium banana and NOTHING ELSE.

Hope this helps
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first in April too!

I love to listen to music, but some races forbid it...And my mantra usually is "just 5 more minutes..." Somehow pushing through the just the next 5 minutes (and the next, and the next) when it's getting hard keeps me going.

The best advice I got from someone more experienced than me -- at least about mentally preparing -- is that the first 2 miles ALWAYS suck, whether you run every day or NEVER. She actually wrote this on her forearm before every race to remind herself. Your body is always screaming "What the HECK are you DOING to me???" :noway: during that beginning phase...but after that, it gets better.
  • Shabnam222
    Shabnam222 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love to listen to music and can't run with out. I've ran a full marathon, 6 half marys and dozens of shorter races. My running buddy HATES music though. Do what feels right for you and congrats on wanting to do a half mary. They are my favorite races!
  • Calvinator24
    Calvinator24 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Training: Make sure you are logging enough miles to prepare you adequately. It's also helpful to train with a group if any exist. Look for running clubs in your area. Another source is a running store. If there is a store near you, I'm sure they either offer training programs or know where you can find one.

Food: Find out what works for you. There is no one right answer. The general consensus now seems to be to have some protein before a long run. In older days, it was all about carbs, carbs, carbs. For me, I eat toasted white bread with peanut butter before my long runs. The amount I eat depends on how long the run will be. I use white bread because I read that the body better handles it than it does a whole grain. In short, your body doesn't have to process it as much because it has already been processed. Thus, you produce far less gas. And gas can be a very bad thing when running, especially a race.

Water: Drink more of it.

Mentally: There's really nothing that can prepare you for those moments during a race when you just feel like quitting. A Half Marathon isn't as mentally taxing as a full, but it still has its moments. At about Mile 9, when your legs start to feel heavy, it's easy to think you should just quit, or maybe just walk it in the rest of the way. You have to find your own strength to push through that.

Music: Find what works best for you. When i first started running, i took my iPod with me every time. One evening, I was only going out for a 30 minute easy run, so I decided to leave it at home. I found that I actually enjoyed running without music better. It's also safer not to have your hearing restricted if you are running where there may be traffic. However, some people really like/need their music. In that case, keep the volume as you can and/or only put in one ear bud.
  • Calvinator24
    Calvinator24 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    One more thing, obviously, training on a treadmill is better than not training, but it really doesn't prepare adequately for running outside. The hills, the wind, the temperature, and the mere fact that the ground doesn't help you along makes running on pavement a far different experience.

I don't know if this relates to your situation, but just in case.