Canned Pumpkin

Options
Hey Everyone!

I have a can of pumpkin that's been sitting on my shelf since September. I was on a really big oatmeal kick last year and used to add it in for taste and fibre and I thought I would use it, but I've since moved on from the oatmeal phase and the pumpkin is lonely on my shelf. I also live in a college dormitory and have a little semi-pathetic toaster oven so that sort of limits what I cook .. is there anything I could include pumpkin in, because I feel bad that it's just sitting there and if it continues to do so it will probably get tossed when I move out in three months. Thanks in advance. =)

Replies

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    It's good mixed into yogurt.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I make a delicious dessert using sugar free pudding, 1 cup 1% milk, can pumpkin, spices, and 1/2 container cool whip - mix and enjoy =- YUMMMMM
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Super Moist Low Fat Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Glaze..pumpkin is the secret ingredient!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/super-moist-low-fat-chocolate-cupcakes.html
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    look up WW pumpkin mousse. I can't remember the recipe off hand but its pretty simple ( vanilla pudding mix and something else) and makes a yummy snack a little lighter then yogurt.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    pumpkin, unsweetened almond milk, protien powder, stevia, nutmeg and cinnamon. One of my favorite breakfast pick-me-ups! I think I will do that today!
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You can make pumpkin spice pancakes.

Whole wheat pancake mix, follow directions on the book.
    Add in as much pumpkin and cinnamon as you would like. ( Or just pumpkin, your call)
    Then cook. They'll need alittle longer than a normal pancake to cook all the way through =)
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I love me a pumpkin protein shake. Mix it with some vanilla protein powder (or raw egg if you're brave), some milk (almond or rice milk work great too), some nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves & ginger. Sweeten to taste. (I use stevia drops). Tastes like pumpkin pie.
  • ladyhunter2011
    ladyhunter2011 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would suggest www.skinnytaste.com. They have some really good pumpkin recipes in there. There is a really nice loaf recipe that you would be able to cook in your toaster oven.
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I make pumpkin cookies (low fat of course) or baked pumpkin pie oatmeal...both delicious! Let me know if you are interested in the recipes.
  • heartshines
    heartshines Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's good on toast, also.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe on here that used canned pumpkin to make low-cal chocolate cupcakes or cookies or something. See what you can come up with using the search function.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Quesadillas? I'd use a thin layer of it with maybe some black beans and cheese.
  • andreacord
    Options
    It's good on toast, also.

Sounds interesting!

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. =)
  • jaimebirchenough
    Options
    You can make a pumpkin smootie, or my mom makes pumpkin bread in empty coffee cans.
  • tigger2009
    Options
    Don't throw it out as the Expiration is usually more than a year depending on what it shows on your can. Box cake mix - chocolate & a can of pumpkin. Forget what else but you don't use eggs and bake up for a yummy lowfat treat!
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl has a ton of pumkin recipes. Its one of her fav ingredients.:heart: