I want some motivated and active friends here on MFP!

Options
Hey all! I'm on a weight loss journey to get fit again; high school fit.
I'm looking for some active friends on here who are supportive and excited to make the same healthy first step that I have. :)

Replies

• JessieHolzmeister
    Options
    Me too! I love the idea that it is possible. For so long I thought that whatever your condition in high school was was only for high school. How enlightening and motivating that you can get back there. What are your goals??? How are you going to get there???
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Me too! I love the idea that it is possible. For so long I thought that whatever your condition in high school was was only for high school. How enlightening and motivating that you can get back there. What are your goals??? How are you going to get there???

Hey!
    I'm combining cardio and strength training to get there. :) I've been doing a lot of core workouts, and on top of that, pushing myself on treadmills, ellipticals, and stationary bikes. I'm trying a Zumba group fitness class tonight too! I'm hoping to get back down to 120-125lbs like I was in high school.
    I've also started eating more healthfully, and actually taking a look at what I'm putting into my body. I've cut out fast food (minus Subway), and I don't drink soda anymore either. :)
    I started just over a week ago, and I'm already down six pounds.

What are your goals to get where you want to be?
  • ShawtyLatina
    ShawtyLatina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Let's friend. I'm looking for the same. Need help holding myself accountable.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Let's friend. I'm looking for the same. Need help holding myself accountable.

I can be your accoutability-buddy. :) Friend request sent!
  • dragonfly1570
    Options
    Add me if you like! We can all use the support!
  • n8vchick77
    n8vchick77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I wish I was fit in high school, instead I was anorexic! Good luck!
  • JessieHolzmeister
    Options
    Awesome! I think you will LOVE Zumba (I don't know you well, but it is so much fun!!!). It is the best cardio I know because it doesn't feel like "exercise", it feels like dancing with great music.

My goal is to weigh 120 and work on my cardio. I am currently 152 so there is some work involved but I would like to stress how important it is to lift weights too. As we age, we lose muscle and firmness so I would suggest that too. It doesn't bulk you up, it tones you. I am 34 (today actually!) and so my workouts have to be geared toward toning and conditioning.

Diet is very important too. That is my struggle. :blushing:

I love this website! What a wonderful program and it is easy. The awareness is my first step.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Add me if you'd like!

I aim for 30 minutes of cardio, 5 times per week and 45 minutes of strength training, 3 times per week. I slipped up a lot recently (holidays!), but have been getting back into running and circuits. My favorite cold-weather workout is Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (but I do it twice, because 22 minutes is kinda skimpy.)
  • tplcook1
    Options
    Yes definitely. I want to be about 15lbs more than high school but I am with you. I am trying to lose and KEEP OFF about 15lbs. I was at high school weight early last year and was just a little too small. I quickly gained that back with little to no exercise and eating bags of powdered donuts (my weakness) but I refuse to let that happen again. I will get there and then maintain it.:)
  • I wish I could do zumba, it looks well fun, but as a 230lbs guy who dances like a cringey uncle at a wedding, I think for the saftey of everyone Ill just remain in the gym area lol
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I wish I could do zumba, it looks well fun, but as a 230lbs guy who dances like a cringey uncle at a wedding, I think for the saftey of everyone Ill just remain in the gym area lol

Group fitness is all about having fun! :)
    You should do it! I dance like a cringey uncle at a wedding too, get that from my dad. =p
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Awesome! I think you will LOVE Zumba (I don't know you well, but it is so much fun!!!). It is the best cardio I know because it doesn't feel like "exercise", it feels like dancing with great music.

My goal is to weigh 120 and work on my cardio. I am currently 152 so there is some work involved but I would like to stress how important it is to lift weights too. As we age, we lose muscle and firmness so I would suggest that too. It doesn't bulk you up, it tones you. I am 34 (today actually!) and so my workouts have to be geared toward toning and conditioning.

Diet is very important too. That is my struggle. :blushing:

I love this website! What a wonderful program and it is easy. The awareness is my first step.

You're making me excited to take this class tonight! I'm showing up 10min early just so I can make sure I get a spot. :)

Happy birthday by the way! You can definitely do this. :) And with diet, make sure you make your meals interesting and colorful! When I plan out my meals, I always make sure I have tons of fresh veggies. Especially with my omelets, I like to load them up with the good stuff. :)
  • I wish I could do zumba, it looks well fun, but as a 230lbs guy who dances like a cringey uncle at a wedding, I think for the saftey of everyone Ill just remain in the gym area lol

Group fitness is all about having fun! :)
    You should do it! I dance like a cringey uncle at a wedding too, get that from my dad. =p

haha Im pretty sure you would look alot better and acceptable than me in zumba :) unless my gym have ambulances ready and waiting I would join in but I may just do it on my own in the changing rooms, Im sure Id look normal dancing around in the showers amongst the body builders lol
  • shannonc1115
    shannonc1115 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Same here - I am all set and ready to go ... started a Biggest Loser Contest at work, so not only do I need to lose all this horrible weight for myself, but the money at the end of this three months will be nice too!!!
    Lets friend! :)