Anyone with ME/other chronic conditions?

Options
Finding it hard to stick with the exercise as it's making my ME flare and I'm totally exhausted. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ShauntelB
    ShauntelB Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What is ME?
  • Mrs_Hitch
    Options
    ME is Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
  • Buzzy21
    Options
    Hi i have Fibromyalgia so know how you feel....just do a small amount at a time like 10 minutes think the main thing is to not overdo it as much as your mind wants to...good luck
  • Mrs_Hitch
    Options
    Little and often... well, as often as we can!
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    I was diagnosed with ME when I was 15, I work out everyday normally twice a day, first thing when I get up then again in the afternoon, if I feel myself getting too worn out I just have a nap. I'd rather have a nap and push myself to exercise then slack off because I feel tired. But at the end of the day it's whatever works best for you I suppose.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have terrible, excruciatingly painful endometriosis. It has been a plague all my life. I cannot describe how bad the pain is at times. More pain then is possible to imagine. So yes, I do know what it is like to have a disabling chronic illness. I was on a hormone medicine that made me gain 40 pounds in 4weeks. This medication decreased the pain but the weight gain was depressing.

I had major surgery 6 months ago and the endometriosis is better. But I can feel it starting to creep back in. I live in utter fear the pain will return to it's previous levels. That amount of pain is incompatible with life.

Weight loss with a chronic illness is pert-near impossible. But it can be done. Oh life, why do you have to be so hard?
  • ItsMichaela
    Options
    I was diagnosed with ME when I was 14 and quite frankly, I don't know how you can even think about working out if you're still suffering. I'm almost fully recovered now and even with that I still get extremely exhausted and can't move my muscles sometimes. If you're recovering the worst thing you can do is a hard workout because you'll just set yourself back and prolong your recovery. Walking, swimming and light pilates all helped me when I was recovering, anything else was far too strenuous and put me back into bed for weeks.
  • Mrs_Hitch
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, much appreciated. Hope you are all feeling well today.
  • 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am studying physiotherapy. I will be assisting suffers of ME in the near future, I would love to hear any information on coping strategies you use, or anything that aggrevates/eases. It is a difficult condition, it is good the stigma associated with it is being lifted. We have a Me/cfs Organisation in Aus (http://www.mecfs.org.au/) but a fact sheet only will tell me so much. Any firsthand info would be great, regarding any aspect, be it social, physical or other :)
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I was born with a genetics condition which makes it hard for my body to metabolize proteins, so they just build up toxins in my blood.

My limit is 25-30 grams of intact (aka food) protein per day, and then I supplement the rest of my protein with about 30 grams of synthetic "medical food" that has been prescribed to me my whole life. This synthetic protein is devoid of the amino acids that my body can not break down, so it is very different from the protein someone would buy for dieting and body building. It's also a lot more expensive (roughly $5,000 a month - for my entire life....unless I ever decide I want to get a LIVER TRANSPLANT. blah)

My condition makes dieting EXTREMELY difficult, because I can't take any of the protein supplements everyone else takes. It also kills my energy.

such a pain