Portion control - HOW?

Options
2»

Replies

• Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I got a food scale for Christmas and it has been amazing. I would always guess at chicken portions, even chips when they only say 1 oz for a serving. It's the Biggest Loser one and it's awesome. I also use measuring cups. When I was still eating pasta, I would actually cook my serving separately from my families so I can measure 1/2 cup dry and make sure I was getting the right portion. If you're eating too fast, maybe try setting your fork down in between bites or even chewing a certain number of times.
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I use my kids' plates & bowls....

Me too!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    My dinner hasnt changed in size at all to what i used to have it.

I just make allowances for it now. I exercise more, and eat less during the day, so i have room for that 1k-1.2k dinner! :D:D
  • MaryAnn678
    MaryAnn678 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I read an article about removing yourself from all distractions when you eat. Enjoy every bite, allow your mind to know you are eating - it is proven that by the third bite you brain recognizes you are feeding the body (no that doesn't mean stop at the 3rd bite). Plan your meals and weigh them - also eat in smaller plates.

^^ it all ads up.

I agree with this quote. I make my meals and do not sample as I make it, I weigh it all out and put 1-2 veggies on the plate, with a starch, potatoes, rice, bread, with my 4 oz of protein. I then bring it to the table with my glass of wine or diet soda or water, I sit down to eat, the first 3 bites I really taste and really enjoy my cooking, then half way through I stop and put the fork down for about 1 min. to make myself not wolf it down. Then I have a drink or two. then finish my meal. This way I really enjoy the meal, feel content with what I'm eating and allow my brain to realize it's being fed. I even light candles for the meal, even if I'm eating alone, usually in the evening though when I have more time. Oh and I only eat on a small sandwich plate on fancy china. Meal time is a time to relax, enjoy and taste what you are eating.
  • SkinnyGirlFatBody
    SkinnyGirlFatBody Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I found prepackaging helped me. When ever I buy something I then split it up into baggies or containers with the proper portion size, that way if I am in a rush I don't have to worry about couting out a portion later. It helps me I think because I am a student and I spend all day at the school, this way I am not tempted to eat out because I didn't have time in the morning to prepare lunches or snacks.

Also when I'm eating, I've come to realize I just enjoy the act of eating not always the food itself. It keeps me busy and I like that, so now when I am eating I have a giant bottle of water and I take a bite then take a sip of water. It's helped slow me down so my body realizes that I am eating.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Amen to using kid size plates and bowls!
    You can go to Wal-Mart (or where ever) and pick up some cheap plates and bowls from the toddler section.
    I use them all the time. I even got some that have divided areas - like my more expensive portion control plates.
    And no cute characters on them to give them away as being toddler plates! LOL
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i glued a pair of dice and a deck of playing cards to magnets and stuck them on the fridge. that helps me remember the portion sizes for cheese and meat. when i remember, i go ahead and dice my blocks of cheese into portion-sized cubes, but i don't always remember to do that.

the other thing is a trick i learned from a friend who had gastric bypass surgery a few years ago. she went out to a local artisan gallery and got a hand-thrown bowl made by a local potter, and that bowl holds exactly one cup of food when filled all the way to the top. it's a beautiful bowl and it was a gift to herself, the bowl that holds her nourishment. she eats only out of that bowl, which automatically limits her portions to a size that does not stretch out her stomach. i have a similar bowl i use a lot at home.

i also put away the large dinner plates, we only bring them out on special occasions. the rest of the time we use salad plates which are much smaller and that way the plate looks full with less on it. i bring leftovers for lunch at work sometimes and i have chosen tupperware sizes that correspond pretty well with the dish sizes i use at home.

the only time i really stray from eating out of these sizes of containers is when i am eating salad greens, in which case i use a big, big bowl. :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    That portion control plate picture is awesome! No clue they made such things!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Use smaller plate, weigh everything. For each bite of food take a sip of water.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I started reading labels to figure out what a portion size is. A bowl of cereal is often TWO portions - who knew? :laugh:

And what a lot of people have said about slowing down, enjoying your food, etc. Plus - make sure you eat really *yummy* food. I bet for some people that's a factor too - we get stuck in ruts of "Oh, this again for breakfast/dinner/whatever" and it becomes mindless eating. Switch it up and give your tastebuds something to enjoy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I just weigh everything out. :)

Yep.

Food scale and measuring cups and then I ONLY put my planned portion on the plate or in the bowl or whatever, leave the kitchen and eat what I have.
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    Use smaller plate, weigh everything. For each bite of food take a sip of water.

Exactly this. I INHALE food... also, put down the utensil or food after every bite. That alone will double or more the amount of time you're eating and help control it.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I never eat anything good.

If I like it, I'll eat it all.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Here are some things that worked for me:

* I got a food scale and measure my food
    * I now use a small plate - no big plate for this girl at the table. This helps the eyes to think that there is a more food.
    * I drink a glass of water about 30 minutes before I eat a meal and then a glass during my meal
    * A big one not to eat fast .... put the fork down after every bite! If the fork is not kept in your hand you are not as likely to "shovel it in"
    * When dining out, I ask for a box at the beginning of my meal and put 1/2 in right at the start!

Hope some of these might help you (or even some others) out.
    :flowerforyou:
  • elysia81
    Options
    Things that work for me are having a full glass of water before eating anything and eating at a table without distraction (not in front of a computer, reading a magazine or in front of TV).
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a food scale.