Help! Macaroni and cheese recipe?

Options
Hiya all,

Does anyone have a low fat etc recipe for macaroni and cheese? I'm so craving it, but my old family recipe is loaded with cheese and all things that I shouldn't have. I love pasta, but it is so calorie laden, I've avoided it for a week, but it's affordable, and it makes a good filling meal for the family. Please help me with a macaroni and cheese recipe that's low-cal, in fact any pasta recipes would be appreciated. I'm in the UK so many of the recipes on here that have US ingredients I can't use because I can't get it :sad: But I have got skimmed milk, and low fat cheddar cheese, so that's a start :ohwell:

Thanks all x x x

Replies

• msfenyves
    msfenyves Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have just made the 'Flat Belly Mac & Cheese'. Actually the Flat Belly Cookbook has great low cal receipes and they are full of flavour. Check out your local bookstore for the cookbook.:happy:
  • grendella
    grendella Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    get some shirataki, some laughing cow, throw in some low fat cheddar! viola

ps i live in sweden, and can find shirataki noodles at the japanese grocery store, sometimes called konnoyaku
  • dlynnkind
    dlynnkind Posts: 134 Member
    Options
  • AnneofAlaska
    AnneofAlaska Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is a couple of books that I have used for that item: Cook this not that and Weight Watchers... They both have Mac and Cheese recipes that are low in calories and whatnot.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I make mine the regular way, but then divide the pan into even portions. Each portion is 300 calories. Since I know the calorie count up front, I can account for this in my daily meal plan.
  • NikkiPsuedoDupuis
    NikkiPsuedoDupuis Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Mac and Cheese is one of my favorites too. I don't have a recipe but I found some "acceptable" substitutes for some of the incredients :

-Egg noodles instead of regular = (on average) half the calories for the pasta
    -Low fat or skim milk
    -I gave up low fat cheese and switched instead to a aged, sharp cheddar, higher in calories but use a lot less for the same flavor
    -I started adding broccolli and cauliflower to it, very filling and not a hugely noticable difference in the taste

Hope that helps some, and good luck!! :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Ingredients
    Cooking spray
    1 pound elbow macaroni
    2 (10-ounce) packages frozen pureed winter squash
    2 cups 1 percent lowfat milk
    4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 1/3 cups)
    2 ounces Monterrey jack cheese, grated (about 2/3 cup)
    1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon powdered mustard
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons unseasoned bread crumbs
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until tender but firm, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.

Meanwhile, place the frozen squash and milk into a large saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally and breaking up the squash with a spoon until it is defrosted. Turn the heat up to medium and cook until the mixture is almost simmering, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the Cheddar, jack cheese, ricotta cheese, salt, mustard and cayenne pepper. Pour cheese mixture over the macaroni and stir to combine. Transfer the macaroni and cheese to the baking dish.

Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and oil in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, then broil for 3 minutes so the
  • woodies1
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your tips and recipes. I will try one tonight - so looking forward to it now! You're stars! :flowerforyou:
  • woodies1
    Options
    dls06, do you have the calorie count on that? Just me being lazy - otherwise will put it on to my recipes. Thanks again x x
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Make your own recipe. Half your potion and have a big salad with it.
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    haha lets try that again...
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

I have made this and took it to a family function. It was a hit and nobody realized it was a healthier version. I left the spinach out, thinking the kids might complain lol and I used only light margarine instead of any real butter.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I make mine the regular way, but then divide the pan into even portions. Each portion is 300 calories. Since I know the calorie count up front, I can account for this in my daily meal plan.

Super smart idea! make what you love (swap out little things like lowfat and light here and there if it's a possiblity) but don't restrict yourself or else you'll go crazy one day! I make things I like. Make sure to add every ingredient into the recipe thingy on MFP and play with the portion size! If it usually makes 4 servings at 500 calories, maybe smaller portions like 6 would give you a number you can work into your daily #. :)

I learned on the biggest loser last night to have your "main dish" now be your side! like a full plate of veggies and a side size of carb and protein.. use your mac n cheese here!
  • peaceinside
    Options
    bump
  • Bonniebigbutt
    Options
    I don't have a great recipe but I have a great cheese substitution. Daiya cheese is dairy, soy, and gluten free comes in cheddar and mozzarella flavors and tastes really good. The only challenge is getting it to browm or melt, not impossible just turn on the broiler for 2 or 3 min. It really good on pizza, too. 90 calories per 1/4 cup of cheese.
  • dls06
    Options
    dls06, do you have the calorie count on that? Just me being lazy - otherwise will put it on to my recipes. Thanks again x x

Ingredients Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Chol
    Barilla - Elbow Macaroni - Dry, 16 oz 1,600 336 8 56 0 0
    Giant Food - Frozen Winter Squash - 12 Ounces (240g), 2/3 cup (87g) 40 9 0 1 0 0
    Albertsons - 1% Low Fat Milk, 16 oz 260 32 5 20 320 30
    Acme - Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, 4 oz. 440 2 36 28 720 120
    Cheese - Monterey Jack Cheese, 2 oz 220 2 18 14 340 50
    Albertson's - Part Skim Ricotta Cheese, 1/2 Cup 160 8 9 10 120 60
    Vigo - Bread Crumbs 2 Tablespoons, 1/8 cup 55 10 1 2 100 0
    4c Grated Cheese - Homestyle 100% Imported Parmesan, 2 Tablespoon (5g) 40 0 3 4 140 10
    Bertolli - Olive Oil - Extra Light , 1 Tbsp 120 0 14 0 0 0
    Great Value - Table Salt Mk, 1 tsp 0 0 0 0 2,360 0
    360 Organic - Spice (Cayenne Pepper - Red), 0.25 tsp (1.8 g) 2 0 0 0 0 0
    Colman's - Dry Mustard Powder, 1 tsp 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Add Ingredient
    Total: 2937 399 94 135 4100 270
    Per Serving: Cal.367 , Carbs 50, Fat 12, Protein 17, Sodium 513, Cholest 34

When I eat it I usually only eat /2 Serving because of carbs. I try to stay around 30 for a meal.
  • dls06
    Options
    You can also substitute Tomatoes, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Asparagus or all the above.
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    go to www.skinnytaste.com i believe they have a recipe. i have made a ton of greta stuff off of there.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Super smart idea! make what you love (swap out little things like lowfat and light here and there if it's a possiblity) but don't restrict yourself or else you'll go crazy one day! I make things I like. Make sure to add every ingredient into the recipe thingy on MFP and play with the portion size! If it usually makes 4 servings at 500 calories, maybe smaller portions like 6 would give you a number you can work into your daily #. :)

I learned on the biggest loser last night to have your "main dish" now be your side! like a full plate of veggies and a side size of carb and protein.. use your mac n cheese here!

When I make mine, I bake it in a 13 X 9 pan (I guess they'd call it a lasgne pan) and divide it into 12 equal portions (used to only make 9 servings till I started paying attention to portion sizes :laugh: ). I make sure to cut it equally. So when I put the recipe into the MFP calculator with the ingredients I use, it gave me 300 calories per serving. There are just some things I'd rather not skimp on, so I try to plan for them in advance so I won't feel deprived, and ultimately rebellious.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Check out the second recipe on this page. The Hungry Girl website is awesome! She has books, too.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1553

ETA: Found another mac and cheese recipe on her site! There may be more similar recipes, as well.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1298