Sleep Schedule ?????

Options
Does anybody know anything about if and how much the sleep schedule (specially in relationship to eating schedule) affects your weight loss?
I work a 10pm - 7 am job. Have a two year old at home (not mine, but my responsibility) that gets up around 8 o'clock and only naps from 12-2 than goes to bed around 8/9. I don't sleep much and when I do it's at odd hours. The longer I'm up the more I eat, and I often eat right before passing out. I dont know what to do because I know this is hurting my journey :/ any advice?

Replies

• elysia81
    Options
    It's not the kind of advice I ever want to be giving and work out what's right for you but I would consider changing jobs. I know alot of people need to work night shifts and they can lose weight while they do it but sleep (even sleep at nights as opposed to day sleep) is really important: you can read more here: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/lose-weight-while-sleeping

I used to have a job that was very taxing on me physically, late nights and constant pressures (plus eating more junk and exercising less due to stresses and being time poor) and once I switched jobs I found that I lost the weight with the stress and my sleeping improved too. I took a pay cut but financially I was secure and I realised that my health was more important than my career.

Also, some tips in the meantime would be learning relaxation techniques. Doing breathing exercises and meditation before sleeping will help you have a deeper sleep and hopefully help your health. If you can't afford to change jobs, perhaps you could try childcare, maybe for only 1 day a week but it would allow you extra time to focus on getting some rest and also maybe going to the gym.

Good luck!
  • luwalmsley1983
    Options
    I have chronic insomnia amongst other things, it is hard. I wish I had the answers, I don't - and I'm in the minority I think that my lack of sleep makes me feel sick and so therefore I eat less.

All I can say is try to get into a rhythm of eating at certain times; and do what you can to make sure the snacks and food you do eat are wholesome and nutritious. Salsa and cumcumber, peppers or carrots for dipping are a favourite of mine.

Hope others have more useful input.
  • KaceeDawn17
    Options
    Thanks I appreciate anything and everything. Unfortunately financially I can't afford to switch jobs or even get a baby sitter. We're scrapping by right now and the extra 2 dollars an hour i get for working graveyards is a major help. thanks for the input. any and all is appreciated!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    That would be hard!! At that age they require so much attention too.. I would try and get the little one to sleep more LOL impossible?? Maybe, but worth a shot! I dont think that eating prior to sleeping is that bad for you.. I wouldn't worry abt that.. How many hours do you actually get?? Just the two!?
  • jkreed04
    Options
    I worked nights for three years and for me, it wasn't when I was eating, but what I was eating. On nights, I would tend to eat alot of crap and drank a ton of soda just for the caffeine. I would say just making sure to pack healthy snacks to graze on during the night and resist the urge for the late night pizza splurge with your coworkers (I'm speaking from my past experiences on nights, so that might not be applicable for you). I also switched from soda to iced black tea with no sugar and that helped. I work days now, but started losing weight before I switched over. As for eating before you go to sleep, I wouldn't worry about that.
    Good luck with your crazy schedule- I know it's rough!
  • KaceeDawn17
    Options
    That would be hard!! At that age they require so much attention too.. I would try and get the little one to sleep more LOL impossible?? Maybe, but worth a shot! I dont think that eating prior to sleeping is that bad for you.. I wouldn't worry abt that.. How many hours do you actually get?? Just the two!?
    \

No, luckily I do have a little help with the little one, I usually get a good 4-6 hours of sleep & some days when hes with his mother, I go to sleep and ill pass out for like 10 straight hours! So Im lucky about twice a month lol
    I just end up eating a lot of sugars to get me through the night at work when I havent had enough sleep :/
  • KaceeDawn17
    Options
    I worked nights for three years and for me, it wasn't when I was eating, but what I was eating. On nights, I would tend to eat alot of crap and drank a ton of soda just for the caffeine. I would say just making sure to pack healthy snacks to graze on during the night and resist the urge for the late night pizza splurge with your coworkers (I'm speaking from my past experiences on nights, so that might not be applicable for you). I also switched from soda to iced black tea with no sugar and that helped. I work days now, but started losing weight before I switched over. As for eating before you go to sleep, I wouldn't worry about that.
    Good luck with your crazy schedule- I know it's rough!

yeah that about sums it up! thanks for the advise!
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Just make sure whatever sleep you're getting is consistent, even if it's chopped up. It's okay (but not ideal) to grab 3 hours here, another 3 there, but try to make sure it's around the same time each day. Like I said it's not the most ideal situation in the world but it's at least a small improvement.