Half-Marathon Training Program

Options
I have decided to run a half-marathon at the end of the summer......I am looking for a training program that incorporates a lot of cross-training, and not solely running. Obviously, I will need to rack up some miles, but if I only run I will injure myself (I've trained for marathons in the past and twice came up with a major injury).

Please send me any websites, training ideas, inspirational reading, etc. that you can think of pertaining to this race. Thanks!

Replies

• rockstargal629
    Options
    I too just started training for a half marathon about 4 weeks ago. A training program will depend largely on where you are fitness wise right now. If you can run/jog for at least 30 minutes straight then you're ok to begin a 10 week training program. I certainly was not at that point yet so I began much slower. Typically you can expect to increase your running distance by a half mile per week. As far as incorporating cross training, that will also depend on your current fitness level.

There are lots of different programs and schedules to potentially follow. I've found the sites www.runnersworld.com and www.marathonrookie.com to be helpful in planning my training.

Also - be sure not to overtrain, that is what leads to injury most frequently. Have rest days planned into your schedule, if you don't want to run exclusively I would recommend cross training twice a week, running twice a week and having at least 2-3 rest days (or focusing on mild strength training only for those days). My best running days are the ones after I've taken a day or two off, my endurance is better, I feel more energized, etc. Good luck and feel free to friend me! My half marathon is coming up on May 12th!
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what happened the first time I trained for a marathon.....I OVERtrained! I didn't take days off, thinking "more is better"! I do tend to be obsessive with exercise, so I have to be careful NOT to over do it this time! I will check out those sites. Thanks Jessica!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Hal Higdon program on my phone.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    what exactly is your base and goal for the race?
  • Sporty98
    Options
    My base fitness is fairly good.....I work out daily, taking a day off each week. I do HIIT and vinyasa yoga work outs. I power walk and job when the weather is good. I have a wrist injury, so did take some time off late fall and put on a few pounds (5 lbs.).

My goal for the race? Not really sure. I guess I'd been saying to my family that I needed to find something that was just for me.....I'm a homeschooling Mom of three children, two of which are off to college and moving out of our house! Our youngest will be 13 this spring, so her need for constant care is pretty low! I guess I'm feeling lost without "my job" of homeschooling being so intense. I thought if I had something to work toward, like this race/run, I could focus on my own health and fitness and training. So, maybe the run itself is the goal. Any thoughts?
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Hal Higdon has some great training programs on his website for free for all levels of runners and all race lengths. You can always modify the schedule and swap out days for cross training days and so forth (especially since your half marathon isn't till summer, as most training programs are 8 weeks or 16 weeks). Most training programs will have you running 4 days a week anyway, leaving you 2 other days to crosstrain and 1 rest day. Basically set up a schedule that works for you but as a good training guide incorporate a speed work day (intervals), a tempo day, a long slow run day, maybe a hills day, etc into your running schedule each week.

Here's an example of what I do. I basically use my own hybrid schedule myself. Running 4 days a week and lifting 3 days a week. with 2 rest days.

Monday - 2 or 3 miles of HITT. Then lift weights.
    Tuesday - Tempo run 3 or 4 miles or average pace 6 miles.
    Wednesday - 2 or 3 miles of HITT. Then lift weights
    Thursday - rest day
    Friday - 3 mile jog or do hills for 2 miles. Lift weights
    Saturday morning - Long slow run 8-11 miles.
    Sunday - Rest Day
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I think Hal H beginner would be the best option. While it sounds like you are working out, there isn't a large volume of actual running right (example 25+ miles per week). Because of that, I would not do any real speed workouts as they would put you at risk of injury. You could do some 1 min on/offs but that is about it in my opinion. Use that rest day for sure.

As for your goal, sounds good. If you don't have a time goal, I think a great way to think about it is getting through the race without walking/stopping, at mostly even splits and knowing you couldn't have done any better at the end. :)

That being said, what was your injury from marathon training?
    My base fitness is fairly good.....I work out daily, taking a day off each week. I do HIIT and vinyasa yoga work outs. I power walk and job when the weather is good. I have a wrist injury, so did take some time off late fall and put on a few pounds (5 lbs.).
  • Sthiara18
    Sthiara18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm running my 1st half marathon in May and I found this website that has running and cross training days with 2 rest days a week. They send you an email every morning on what you need to do for the day. The website is www.trainer.active.com it's free and I think it's a really good site it has helped me alot.
  • Sporty98
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

My injury was a break-down in my hip and knee on one side......I do have the tendency to become obsessive with my workouts (i.e. my wrist injury is from 1.5 hours of vinyasa daily last winter!), so when I was training before, I didn't take rest days. I didn't stretch enough, and I didn't take great care of myself.

I am older, and (hopefully) wiser this time around! :)
  • Sporty98
    Options
    Does anyone know if the Hal Higdon program is available for Blackberry? I can't find an app for it, but did find it for the iPhone.....Thanks!
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Bump* doing my first half in may and I could use some adbise too!
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    Runnersworld.com has a smart coach running. It gives you days for cross training but you have to come up with your own workouts.
  • azgirl1997
    Options
    I'm doing my first in May as well. My problem is that I get bored when I run farther than 3 miles.
  • sasskin18
    Options
    Hi there

I've ran 10 half marathons and a couple of marathons and found Runners World is great for plans, however I always alow time for injury as when you are ramping up the mileage you are bound to get injured at some point. Also use these plans as a guide, and dont be put off if you miss a few training runs due to illness etc. So as a rule of thumb, use a 12 weeks training plan for a race which is due in 16 weeks. You then give your body time to adjust to the training. Hope this helps. Most of all Have fun x
  • kellyc3
    kellyc3 Posts: 95
    Options
    Bump