Too much carbs, Need advice!

Options
Hi there, im kinda new to this, and every day I seem to be over on my carbs, Im tring to think what I can swap and eat to get more protine, Im not really a bit meat eater. I like veggie stuff, and most raw foods, or lightly cooked.

Any ideas would be great! :o)
xx

Replies

• krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    If you are not really a meat eater then you need to google vegatarian diet for better idea on how to get your protein in. You can do protein dhakes,beans etc. But you need to look it up.
  • guccigirlxx
    Options
    egg whites, dairy products, spinach, lots of meat for protien. Or protein bars and shakes
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It's not hard. You need to cut the amount of carbs you eat. Find healthier alternatives for the things you love. But no one knows how or what you like but you. Watch vegetarian diets. If you don't do it the right way, they could be very high in carbs too.
    If you open your diary we can make suggestions.
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Open your diary up and we can offer alternatives - or you can look at other people's diaries who are open and see what they're eating.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I set my carbs high because I find them to be a good source of protein and I work out pretty hard and need them for fuel. As long as you're eating "good" carbs (whole grains,brown rice, vegetables) you'll stay full. Extra veggies are always a good option, fruits tend to be high in carbs because of the sugar but don't worry about it too much. You can manually adjust your settings at any time. If you like milk, cheese, eggs, etc they are high protein and lower carb; so are nuts and nut butters. Unless you're planning on being a bodybuilder you don't need an excessive amount of protein either, too much can damage your liver.
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    quinoa (pronouned KEEN-WA) is a great grain that is also a complete protein, you can use it the same way you would couscous. try using COMPLEX carbs like whole or multi-grain pastas and breads. i have a friend who is a pescatarian, so she only eats fish, eggs and dairy products apart from veggies and grains so I can always check with her what she eats for protiens. I know beans and lentils are a good source of proteins, plus if you add a carb like brown or wild rice you can get a lot of good nutrients. And yah, kdorosh is right, try googling it, see what other vegetarians are eating, maybe even go to a book store and find a cheap vegetarian cookbook, best of luck!!
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Breads and Pasta are loaded with "bad" carbs - try to avoid, or just go light - use your carb allowance for fruits and veggies - full of great carbs! I'm not sure I'd worry too much about being over on carbs when its all fruits and veggies. How could a tomato be bad for you? A banana? orange? Scale back on the bread and pasta or cut it out completely - it will help you!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Breads and Pasta are loaded with "bad" carbs - try to avoid, or just go light - use your carb allowance for fruits and veggies - full of great carbs! I'm not sure I'd worry too much about being over on carbs when its all fruits and veggies. How could a tomato be bad for you? A banana? orange? Scale back on the bread and pasta or cut it out completely - it will help you!

Not necessarily, there are breads and pastas made from whole grains and sprouted grains which are a great source of energy. Just avoid the processed "white" breads/pastas and unnecessary fillers and preservatives. The closer it is to nature the better your body can use it.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    gourmet elite whey and casein has 5 grams of carbs ..i drink it just as that or sometimes add berries to it for natural carbs which isnt really that high and i also will be drinking ABB Pure Protein shakes again once they arrive in the mail. i eat a ton of meat but sometimes can find breads and wraps with more protein than usual in it.. 5 grams in sandwich thins and bagel things and a wrap i buy now is called La Tortilla Factory - multigrain with extra virgin olive oil.. theres 18g of carbs in it but 9g of protein and its only 100 calories.. never heard of this wrap before and stumbled upon it in the store the other day .. 12g of fibre too!! i cant see your food diary or else i could make better suggestions for you.
  • PattyfromToledo
    PattyfromToledo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    loose the complex carbs ... rice, bread, pasta and flour.. stick with fruits for your carbs and if you need to have bread try a pita; they seem to be less in carbs. Or use those sandwich thins by Pepridge Farms ... it's all about adjustment and getting use to the change. I am fairly new myself and am amazed at just how quickly those calories and carbs add up.

Also, if you start exercising you earn back calories so you can add back some protein. If you are exercising and doing weight training you should try and swap out the protein for the carbs. You need more protein to build muscle.

Good luck!!!
  • tiggerdug
    tiggerdug Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    thanks for your tips will give that a try! thanks
    x