Question about projected weekly loss

Options
In my settings, I put that I want to lose 2 pounds a week and MFP set me at 1200 net calories and a projected loss of 1.2 pounds a week. This is fine with me but I am wondering why it didnt set me at 2 pounds per week like I asked. Is it because I would have to eat less than 1200? I am comfortable at 1200 since I am only 5'2.

Also, why is a 1 pound loss per week recommended? Is it so you are allowed more calories to eat?

Replies

• JustBeckyV
    Options
    I would think its because of the 1200 calorie limit. of course if you figure in your exercise you could lose more a week.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I would think its because of the 1200 calorie limit. of course if you figure in your exercise you could lose more a week.
    Is there any way to tell how much exercise I would need to do to lose 2 a week as long as my net is always 1200? I have been doing between 120 and 180 minutes of cardio a week. Is that too little?
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    try doing 30 minutes of cardio at least 5 times a week and then as your body craves more cardio add it on. i put in about 360 -420 of cardio a week now but started out 20 minutes three times a week two years ago .. guess you have to listen to your body to figure out what is best for you
  • Gshields42
    Options
    You really shouldn't consume less than 1200 calories a day net (intake minus any exercise) without doctor, nutritionist, or other form of medical supervision.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I don't think you can lose 2lbs a week without weighing a lot more to start with, the less you weigh the less you'll lose each week. When I first joined MFP I tried to lose 2lbs a week too but you've got to realize that this is something that you've got to do slowly and patiently. I kept trying and failing when I set my goal to 1200 calories a day, and so I upped it to 1400 a day and I feel like this is much more sustainable in the long term. Of course its different for everybody- but you should set your calorie goal to something you feel you can achieve comfortably long term, not just the lowest amount possible so you can lose the weight as fast as possible. (:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    In my settings, I put that I want to lose 2 pounds a week and MFP set me at 1200 net calories and a projected loss of 1.2 pounds a week. This is fine with me but I am wondering why it didnt set me at 2 pounds per week like I asked. Is it because I would have to eat less than 1200? I am comfortable at 1200 since I am only 5'2.

Also, why is a 1 pound loss per week recommended? Is it so you are allowed more calories to eat?

Here is a guide for setting appropriate weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

since you have less than 25 lbs to go your weekly weight loss goal should be to lose no more than 1 lb/week. Too large of a deficit will lead to a loss of a large % of lean muscle mass, instead of just the fat you want to lose. On top of the above guideline you should also be eating all your exercise calories back.

FYI: Your planned exercise is not taken into account to get your daily caloric intake. MFP's intake assumes no exercise, so when you do exercise you are prompted to eat them back to ensure you are at your daily goal caloric deficit.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, if setting your "Goal" to be 2 lbs a week would move your calorie goal below 1200 then the system will not give you that lower goal. When you're that close to your goal / little to lose that 1200 is your goal (my daily goal is 1900 calories at 2lbs per week loss) you should be aiming at a smaller weekly goal.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I don't think you can lose 2lbs a week without weighing a lot more to start with, the less you weigh the less you'll lose each week. When I first joined MFP I tried to lose 2lbs a week too but you've got to realize that this is something that you've got to do slowly and patiently. I kept trying and failing when I set my goal to 1200 calories a day, and so I upped it to 1400 a day and I feel like this is much more sustainable in the long term. Of course its different for everybody- but you should set your calorie goal to something you feel you can achieve comfortably long term, not just the lowest amount possible so you can lose the weight as fast as possible. (:
    ditto.

The 2 pounds will put you below the 1200 calories. You can manually adjust the numbers and play with them until it gives you the 2 lb. per week you want to...(although you should consult your physician on that to be on the safe side).
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

Because MFP does not endorse a self-defeating, starvation diet.

You should set your weekly goals at 1lb or even .5 lbs, and think long term.
    It's not a race.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what everyone else said. The site is structured to help you have a sustainable weightloss. It had no problem giving me 2 lbs a week, as I weigh 435 pounds. In fact, with my exercise and intake, it projects me to lose almost 6 pounds a week right now.
    One thing I like is that when you sign off for the day, it gives you the "if every day was like today" statement. I would check that to see how your efforts are stacking up. They may tell you that you'll hit your goal faster.

You just have to remember that the calculated net is based on what you said your goal is, what's healthy for you, and what is generally safe. It is assuming that you want to make that weight loss in diet alone when it sets that calorie limit. That's why it readjusts when you exercise.

I promise you, if you go under that number, it'll do more harm than good. That's what happened to me that I gained this much weight. I was starving myself as a teen without realizing it, and when I started to eat more normally, my body was so used to starving it didn't burn ANYTHING. I had to go on hormone therapy to get things working again, and you DO NOT want to do that!!!

Good luck, I hope you achieve your goals :)
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. After calculating some numbers I realized that in order to lose 2 pounds a week, I would be at 700 calories a day...thats too little to be healthy. I am fine with eating 1200 and losing slowly.
  • aash28
    aash28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

I lost 5.4 lbs. in one week by doing the 17 Day Diet. It's not a "starvation diet," and really not even a diet for that matter. You just eat clean, natural, non-processed foods. I ate about 1,100 (and that's only because I woke up really late) to 1,400 every day (and I didn't eat more because I was full). My average exercise was about 30 min. of non-strenuous activity. And on top of this, I only have/had 12 lbs. (6.6 now) to lose. Personally, the cleaner that I eat, the faster that I lose. But again, that's just what worked for me. I just wanted to offer a suggestion for more weight loss per week. : ) Good luck!