Weight gain :(

Options
I started on Monday and instead of losing weight I have gained a pound! :( I have been under my calorie goals so far plus I have been exercising. Why am I gaining weight??? I am so frustrated... I know that today is only my 3rd day and I only gained 1 pound but it is still very frustrating when I have been trying really hard with this...

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    No worries, it's just daily fluctuations. Or you're not weighing yourself at the same time. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Keep at it
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind, is if you're not eating enough calories you may not be losing much weight either. Your body goes into starvation mode and keeps what fat it can. It's a balance, difficult to obtain at first but gets easier with more practice. Just keep tracking and working hard!! It will come!
  • kanesha31
    Options
    don't get discouraged just reevaluate what you are eating and make sure you get some type of exercise in for the day but you can do this i know it's frustrating !!!!
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Your body is adjusting to your new routine. That almost always results in odd fluctuations. Lots of people gain during the first week or two, only to see it flushed out as they continue. Don't give up! Keep going!
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight? I wouldn't get too frustrated. :) That's why I only weigh myself once a week...the fluctuations would probably drive me crazy!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    could be sodium....hard to tell when the diary is private....i think u should take two weeks monitor calories and sodium etc....and see if you have progress...i wouldnt panic but i wouldnt ignore it either becuse if its sodium you need to know and nip it..
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Dont weigh yourself every day I know some do on here but it doesnt give a true reading. Once a week on a set day in the morning in your underwear should work best. x
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    fluctuations here and there are normal. Its the average of the week. Most of us on here may weigh daily..but have only 1 official weigh in day which we record.

I know for myself...if I didnt get enough sleep. Had some carb overload..didnt go to the (ahem) toilet..it all adds to a pound here and there.

I know for myself...I am at my initial goal weight..but I do fluctuate. If I go about 2 pounds..then I worry..but a pound here or there..is no biggie.

Also to keep in mind..you have shocked your body by exercising..so it may just be water weight..drink more water and give it time..this is a life change you want to do..so take it slow...change will come
  • sammywil
    sammywil Posts: 104
    Options
    Why are you weighing yourself after just 3 days? YOur body needs a total deficit of 3500 calories over a 7 day period to lose 1 lb. Do as others have said - go for weigh in once a week, at the same time each week & resist temptation to weigh in early. You will flucuate from day to day so it can be disheartening if u see an increase. the flucuations are normal.

You will lose weight, just give it time.

Good luck!
  • Gabby32675
    Options
    My food diet is pretty accurate :) I have some bad habits on there (soda) but I am proud to say I went from having a 12 pack to only 2 a day!!! That's quite impressive for me as I have been drinking Coke since before I can remember. I need to drink more water also. The only reason I weighed myself today was because I did the Biggest Loser Challenge for exercise today and at the end it does a "weigh-in" otherwise I wouldn't have weighed myself until Monday ;) lol Thanks everyone for the advice and good wishes, I'm gonna keep plugging away at this because I am tired of looking at myself in the mirror, not liking what I see, and knowing that all it takes is me changing things:happy:
  • lovingallofme
    Options
    Hey, Well I really can't answer that question, but I, have gone through the same thing!! And IT IS NOT
    A GOOD FEELING!! It has been a let down, depressing....We exercise our butt off and eat the
    right way but then the scale says different....I started MFP about a week ago , but before this I would do my own thing
    but I weighed myself everyday....And I saw the up and down of my weight SOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!
    so now I've decided to just weigh once a week either early monday morning.... but with all that said.....
    Stay encouraged, keep exercising, keep watching your diet/calorie intake. you say you started on monday,
    I'm assuming this pass monday (1/9) and here it is wed. I believe you weighed yourself a lil' to soon. DONT'
    GIVE UP!!! Many of us are on the same wagon as you are and we have to keep each other encouraged!!!
    Continue with your journey!!!
  • kristensuz
    kristensuz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    A friend told me only weigh yourself like 2 times a month. Judge by your clothes not the scale!