Specific Carbohydrate Diet - breaking the cycle

CornellGirl
CornellGirl Posts: 30 Member
Is anyone currently on / researching the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) discovered by Dr. Haas and Elaine Gottschall?

Basically, this diet is for a range of people suffering from indigestion, celiac, IBS, etc... and it is even recommended for children with autism.

SCD cuts out white and brown rice, potatoes (and all tuber plants), legumes, milk, wheat products, etc - so it is a step UP from eliminating gluten from the diet.... / it's very similar to the Paleolithic diet

Today is my 14th day on the diet and I am happily surprised to say that I am symptom-free. Has anyone been on this diet in the past?

Replies

• CornellGirl
    CornellGirl Posts: 30 Member
    *also, any recipes related to SCD?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Its really nothing new... just a couple of 'experts' piggybacking on other dietary specific lifestyles and trying to think of it as 'brand new'...

Paleo does not consume most of those items.
    Low carb/very low carb do not consume those products... and then you will have cases like myself who have allergies to almost all of those foods you have listed... (Im a real case! LOL)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    ACK!... Cant edit - server is sloooooooooooow!

I cannot consume (ever): flours of any grain variety, breads, pastas, rice, potatoes, corn, full fat dairy but clarified butter is ok sparingly.... Matter of fact, my lips are still coming off of their inflamation issues from the last food reaction I had... lol
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    wow, very interested. struggling with IBS symptoms (I think that's what they are....) so frustrated it's not even funny!!!!! :) thanks for sharing..
  • Would love to hear your progress on scd!! I've been researching it and trying to get my daughter to try it.
  • Yup! I sure am! 4 months into Elaine's SCD and I'm making a lot of progress - I was sooo sick before. Anyone similarly interested in SCD, please put in a friend request - I'd love to get to know you guys and we can support each other through the ups and downs of the healing process! So glad to meet ya'll! (Can't you tell? I've only used one period so far - the rest are exclamation points....)

Gutsy Girl
    http://naturallygutsy.com
  • beansnsprouts
    beansnsprouts Posts: 15 Member
    My partner has been using SCD on and off for about a year and definitely feels better when he's eating by SDC.

Before that, I had been looking for diets that helped with Crohn's/UC/IBS and it's ridiculous how current medicine says diet and digestives diseases are not related... really? What I found to reduce flare-ups at the time was : no whole grains (only white bread for ex), no fibers (so peel cucumbers and tomatoes and avoid anything fibrous) or eat nothing but Ensure-type drinks for 2 weeks... these were doctors recommendations!

I figured there was no way this could be good for anyone so we started doing a bit of research and found many great recommendations for the SCD.

My partner isn't in pain or discomfort as often when he eats this way. He was more hungry at first (maybe first week or so) until his body adjusted and until we started figuring out what he could eat instead of thinking of all the things he couldn't eat.

I mostly eat by the SCD because I don't feel like cooking 2 sepearate meals every night and I've noticed some benefits of my own. Mainly, I don't have carb cravings like I did and I don't feel as hungry all the time even though I'm eating less. My energy levels are also more stable during the day (less ups and downs).

If you're just starting the SCD, it can seem really hard to figure out what you can or can't eat. We've been using the list on this website for help: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/legal_illegal_a-c.htm

Best of luck to everyone!