Delicious Soup - 47 cals & 0.5 gram fat per 1 cup

Options
Hey everyone, here's my adaptation of a Cajun recipe called Catfish Courtbouillion...I've made it much more healthy and made it VEGAN FRIENDLY (although adding some boiled shrimp is delish for us meat eaters)!

I make this soup in a super large batch (lasts me about 10 meals) and then freeze it in indiviual containers...then if you have access to a microwave during lunch you are good to go. ONLY 47 CALORIES & 0.5 G FAT PER CUP!!! I'm not kidding!

INGREDIENTS:
Broth - 8 regular sz cans (about 16 cups?) Vegetable stock (or Chicken Broth if you prefer)

Canned Veggies:
1 lrg can Hunt's whole plum tomatoes (break tomatoes into bite sz with fork)
1 can mild diced Rotel tomatoes
2 cans of sliced stewed tomatoes (I bought some that were already Cajun flavored, Italian variety would be good, too)
2 small cans of green chilies

Fresh Veggies:
2 large white or yellow onions (cut into large bite sz)
1 green bellpepper (cut into large bite sz)
1 orange (or red) bellpepper - use orange for the color (red is already in the soup with the tomatoes) (cut into large bite sz)
1 yellow bellpepper (cut into large bite sz)
1 reg sz bunch of celery (cut into large bite sz)
2 cups chopped kale

Seasoning:
4 tsp Old Bay (add slowly to your taste)
4 tsp minced garlic (again, add more or less to your taste)
4 Bay Leaves
optional: salt, pepper, cayenne(red) pepper, Tony's, or other Cajun seasoning (but Old Bay is my fav)

DIRECTIONS:
1) Combine all canned items into extra large pot or slow-cooker. (if you don't have an extra large pot, then 1/2 the recipe)
2) Chop all bellpepper, onion, and celery into large bit-size pieces; add to pot. (I know it seems weird that you will be eating large chunks of this stuff, but trust me, after cooking for 2 hours this stuff melts in your mouth!)
3) Chop parsley and kale. Add kale to pot (hold out parsley for now).
4) Add minced garlic, Bay Leaves, and Old Bay to pot.
5) Cover and simmer on stovetop or slow-cooker for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Occasionally check to ensure enough liquid.
6) Add parsley last 5 mins of cooking.

Serve and enjoy!

Replies

• njh2008
    njh2008 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What is "Old Bay"...is it a bayleaf?
  • noiva
    noiva Posts: 94
    Options
    What is "Old Bay"...is it a bayleaf?

It's a seasoning...used on a lot of seafood. You should be able to find it with all of the other herbs & spices at the store!
  • phattie17
    Options
    Old Bay is a spice mix, usually used on crabs and seafood. Very tasty, but use sparingly as it is mostly salt.
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Options
    I'll be throwing all this in my Crock Pot Saturday morning! Thanks for sharing. AND i have lots of shrimp taking up space in my freezer ;)
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This sounds yummy. I love cajun style cooking!
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • istutzman
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • dcjackson50
    Options
    Love Soup, thanks for sharing
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    hey if you do add shrimp, be sure to wait until the last few mins b/c they only take 3-4 to cook...over-cooked chewy shrimp are nasty!

when I do eat shrimp with this, I boil them separately and only add them to my bowl (instead of adding a bunch to the entire pot). Especially if you plan to freeze this, dont freeze it with the shrimp (I made that mistake once and had to pick all the shrimp out when i thawed it!)

13800327.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • amykingsley1
    amykingsley1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I lov e soups, I'm totally making this over the weekend!!
  • aarnette
    Options
    I am trying to get my wife to make it.
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    if you make it, let me know if you like it, or don't...or if you did a cool variation. I make this so often I would like to vary it a bit more.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    ^^I may give this a shot over the weekend as well...bet the house will smelll amazing...
    Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • serena221
    serena221 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing :)