brown rice improvements

Options
lilbuddytatertot
lilbuddytatertot Posts: 57 Member
what can be added to brown rice to make it taste better or add flavor and thats good for you, of course

Replies

• LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I like using cooked brown rice to make fried rice. I just add whatever is around - egg, scallion, ginger, garlic, maybe some ham or frozen peas, a little soy sauce and sesame oil.

Looking forward to seeing others' ideas - I could really use some myself!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    salsa!
    Johnnys garlic spread and seasoning
  • worm5996
    worm5996 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like to mix taco seasoning into mine. It really needs to have some sort of flavor added to it. You could try a little cheese too.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sub half the water for coconut milk and then top with chives or scallions. It goes really good with a spicy stir fry!
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    cook it in vegetable broth or chicken broth instead of water.
  • nirvana1
    Options
    I love peas or sweetcorn in it, I like the little bit of sweetness it gives.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I like adding chicken breast and BBQ sauce (maybe not the healthiest, but it's freaking delicious!). Or making stir fry and putting it over rice.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Substitue chicken broth for part or all of the water.

Of course I LIKE brown rice. I find it more flavorful than white rice.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    try cooking it in chicken or veg broth... or add some salsa while it's cooking for a fast tasty fix that ends up tasting alot like spanish rice *S*

but then i love the nutty taste of brown rice anyway *S*
  • simkinsjan
    Options
    I add chopped red onions, sundried tomatoes, slivered almonds, olive oil and a little Montreal Steak seasoning to the water while I'm cooking the rice.
    The seasoning gives it a little zing, and the nuts and tomatoes give it some color and chewiness.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Ginger! Peel a ginger nub, and slice into coins. Add it to the rice when it begins to simmer.

Gingered brown rice.

I like brown rice too, though. Have you thought of making a brown rice salad? A lot of people use it for salad because of the firm texture.
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    try using broth or stock or low sodium bullion instead of water. adding herbs to the water are nice too- especially fresh ones (drop the whole sprig of herb in and pull it out before serving). I too have made the switch from white to brown (pasta too) and it is definately taking an adjustment! especially since I grew up with a Japanese momma who made a fresh pot of the sticky white goodness every morning! :smile:
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I also really like to do fried rice with brown rice, but I also like to make casserole-esque dishes with leftover brown rice. I usually saute some onions and garlic, and toss that into the rice with a little olive oil to keep everything from sticking. I often add in cooked black beans or pinto beans, as well, for added protein. Then I add spices, depending on what type of flavor I'm looking for - often ancho chile powder, cayenne, cumin, oregano, etc with diced fresh peppers and sausage (chorizo, or sometimes jalapeno chicken sausage) and an ounce or so of grated cheese, usually sharp cheddar. Sometimes I'll also add in some sour cream or plain greek yogurt. Then bake until hot, voila. It's a quick and easy weekday meal with infinite variation - sometimes I do basil, oregano, marjoram, etc, with tomatoes and mozzarella or a similar cheese, for a different flavor.
  • noiva
    noiva Posts: 94
    Options
    1) Stir fry some chicken and vegetables to go on top.

2) Add brown rice to black beans and make black bean burgers (recipe: http://chefinyou.com/2010/04/black-bean-burgers-recipe/)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cook it in low sodium stock with some Mrs. Dash seasoning (my fave is garlic & herb).
  • mrspetrosian
    mrspetrosian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Rotel tomatoes with green chilies! I am actually making a Brown Spanish rice dish tomorrow night with pork tenderloin and grilled rosemary balsamic veggies :) If you want the recipe(s), send me a message and I will send it over!
  • mrspetrosian
    mrspetrosian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I also like to make a healthy stir fry and serve it over brown rice, too.

When I'm not cooking for hubby, I like to cook rotel tomatoes in olive oil and get it really crispy and put it over brown rice.

Some people have better luck with brown rice in the oven (takes a lot longer) or in a rice cooker (longer than the stove, but not as long as baking). Just play around and try some different flavors and tastes.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    When I cook brown rice I put some butter spray (Can't Believe It's Not Butter) on it and some garlic powder (not garlic salt because of high sodium). Make sure you cook it long enough or it will be chewy and gross. You can add any Mrs. Dash seasonings (there are a lot) that you like and are not bad on sodium and very good.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    i always cook mine in low sodium fat free chicken broth. Then i might cook it with peanuts, delicious. Add some chicken to the peanuts if you want and some steamed broccoli. My dinner last night was brown rice with tuna and steamed broccoli all mixed together, yumm. edited to add you don't need many peanuts to add lots of flavor.
  • katt0628
    katt0628 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump