my new favorite thing!

Options
floweringcurrant
floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
I know there have been lots of posts regarding 'banana ice cream,' which is where you freeze cut up bananas, food process them, and have something similar to banana soft serve ice cream. I've been doing this for a while, but it never really satisfied that ice cream void... until now!

The trick? I started adding vanilla extract, one vanilla bean (seeds scraped), and a little splash of almond milk. Food process it for a thick, rich, creamy vanilla milk shake that tastes so similar to the real thing. You could also add a little bit of unsweetened cocoa powder for a chocolate flavor. The best part? It's only around 120 calories for about 1/2 or 3/4 cup. For all those people sensitive to dairy and trying to eat as little processed foods as possible (like me) this is the perfect treat - breakfast even, because it's all healthy!

More? Add a tablespoon of peanut butter or almond butter (with peanut butter I seriously can't even believe what I'm eating is good for me - it's sinful) and/or maybe a little drizzle of some local honey. YUM!
Maybe I'll eventually get around to posting a picture, but for now, try it for yourself! :)

Replies

• firefly101
    Options
    Just adding the vanilla & almond milk sounds really good... I love bananas and have had them in the old plain jane frozen form... this might perk it up w/o adding cals... thanks for the tip!:smile:
  • teenasbody
    teenasbody Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I love this there is a restaurant near me that sells them I get them every now and then didn't know you could make them at home they use a speical machine. I will try as my weekend treat this weekend.

thanks for posting :-)
  • reddoorjess
    Options
    that actually sounds amazing...might give it a go and see if the kids would eat it. sounds rich.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    bump for me...
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    bump
  • istutzman
    Options
    Yumm!!
  • bgc85
    bgc85 Posts: 68
    Options
    this sounds yummy!!!!
  • tamiesue2
    tamiesue2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to try this!! Thanks :)
  • katt0628
    katt0628 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow this sounds great.
  • missruiz11
    Options
    Yum! Yhanks for the idea for the vanilla one! Sounds sooo good. Im going to try this tonight. I been doing the one with coco powder and it is fabulous. It is a great satisfier for the sweet tooth!!
  • hkmamma
    hkmamma Posts: 70
    Options
    I add about a tablespoon of sugar free / fat free pudding mix. really thick. all flavors are great!
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I think i'm going to have to try this... bump
  • CathVan
    CathVan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yum.. I'll have to try this! Thanks for sharing!!
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Yummy!
  • aeboone24
    Options
    YUMMO THANKS FOR THE INFO~ ILL HAVE TO TRY THIS SOON :)
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    sounds incredible. I will have to look into how to make such a gem!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I need to try this!
  • deliak2010
    Options
    BUMP that sounds delicious!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    may have to try this for hubby, he LOVES bananas. But its the same calories as 1/2 cup of ice cream.. he may want the ice cream instead, who knows.