What time do you eat breakfast?

Options

Replies

• lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    when I'm working away from home at 7am as I have a three mile uphill walk to work and arrive ravenous otherwise... when I'm working at home I walk the dog first and eat breakfast around 9am... for me a good breakfast helps me stop snacking for the rest of the day... I can wait til lunchtime before i eat much else...
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    also the longer you leave not eating in the morning the more likely your body is then to store your first meal as fat for energy later

I don't understand this at all. You say that if you deliberately put off breakfast then your hungry body will store your late breakfast rather than burn it? How much does one's metabolism vary in 12 hours? I don't know anything but I imagine not that much.
  • soccerchey1
    Options
    6 AM right when I wake up :)
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The minute my eyes are opened, I'm hungry! LOL.

Weekdays: 6:15 am.

Weekends: between 7:30 and 8:30 am.

^^This!!
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Question that comes to my mind is why you're not hungry?

Do you eat before you go to bed? I'm starving in the morning after working out the day before.. the only time that I wasn't is if I ate a lot before I went to bed.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    on weekdays i have breakfast abt 7am

on weekends it can be anywhere between 7am and abt 8:30am
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever I feel hungry.

If I don't feel hungry and I eat my body rejects it and I end up throwing up (years of having an eating disorder).

I allow my body to tell me when to eat and I make sure I eat the right things.

I have found though that now I am FINALLY eating the right food and the right amounts of it and exercising I am getting hungrier and eating more.
  • PetersonMatthew
    Options
    Eating early doesn't "jump start" your metabolism. This is based on myth that unfortunately hasn't died yet.

Thermic effect of food is based on calories (primarily) and macronutrient composition. It is not based on frequency.

You can go upwards of 3 days without food before any negative effects on metabolism.

So, I would suggest that if you're not hungry, don't eat breakfast. See how you feel doing this and also see how it effects your decisions when it does come time to eat later in the day.

For SOME people, not eating breakfast causes them to overeat (when I say overeat, I mean go beyond their daily goal intake). For others, it's a great strategy because it allows them to "bank" calories for later in the day.

I prefer not eating breakfast and my intake is at 3200 currently. It allows me to effectively eat more later during the day since I'm not eating those calories earlier.

Thank you for this info. Going to give it a try for a few days.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I usually eat within 20 mins after I get up...

Saturday around 6.30am and Sunday around 7.30am....

Weekdays, the time just depends what time I get up...
  • THINandFABULOUS
    Options
    I usually wake up between 6:30am and 7am and I have breakfast between 8am and 9am. I noticed that my body functions better when I eat breakfast in the mornings. I'm less irritable when I have something to eat and it helps me make better food choices throughout the day. I've noticed that when I don't have breakfast or when I'm really hungry, I'll usually go over my caloric goal.. by a lot. :/
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I eat at 6:30am, I wake up around 5am. I just can't eat right when I wake up. But I MUST eat before I leave for the day or I make bad food choices, like driving through McDonalds or picking up chips or cupcakes at a gas station. Eating early starts my day out on the right track.
  • Ashalena
    Ashalena Posts: 162
    Options
    Question that comes to my mind is why you're not hungry?

Do you eat before you go to bed? I'm starving in the morning after working out the day before.. the only time that I wasn't is if I ate a lot before I went to bed.

no, i don't eat before i go to bed. i stay under 1400 calories a day. I eat dinner between 6-7 pm every night. go to the gym about 8-9pm. i'm just not hungry when i wake up. everybody is different.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm starving and I'll eat immediately. Typically, I'll feed the cats first, get them out of the house, make my coffee, sip on that, check email... then eat. Some days I don't eat breakfast at all. I just eat lunch.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    On weekdays I eat something substantial within half an hour of waking up (around 6:30). This might be a small piece of whole grain toast with almond butter, a protein shake, or oatmeal. This week I've been having about 1/2 cup of walnut and cinnamon quinoa.

Then a couple hours after arriving at work (around 9-10) I'll have something light-- usually yogurt with berries.

I might have black coffee or tea with one or both of these meals.

Weekends are a lot less methodical, :)
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry; it's been keeping the human race alive for a little while.
  • daniella0456
    Options
    I GET UP AROUND 5:30 AM AND GO TO THE GYM TIL ABOUT 6:30 AM. BY THE TIME I GET A SHOWER, GET CHANGED FOR WORK IT IS ABOUT 7:20 AM AND I AM READY FOR BREAKFAST. IF I DON'T EAT BY 9:30 AM I START TO FEEL SICK TO MY STOMACH. WHETHER I AM ACTUALLY HUNGRY OR NOT I EAT SOMETHING EVEN IF IT IS JUST OATMEAL. CURVES MY STOMACH PAINS AND THEN BY 10:30 AM I AM READY FOR A LIGHT SNACK. I EAT ALL DAY AT WORK. BREAKFAST, SMALL SNACK IN MORNING, LUNCH, SMALL SNACK AROUND 2:30 PM AND THAT HOLDS ME TIL DINNER WHICH IS USUALLY AROUND 5:30 PM TO 6:30 PM. I REFUSE TO EAT AFTER 7:30PM BECAUSE MY BODY HAS ALREADY STARTED TO REST AND I CAN'T BURN IT OFF BEFORE GOING TO BED. I AM A MORNING WORK OUT PERSON SO BREAKFAST TENDS TO BE VERY IMPORTANT FOR ME.
  • Tivo8MyNeighbors
    Tivo8MyNeighbors Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have coffee when I wake up, and generally, I have my breakfast an hour to two hours later, when my stomach "wakes up." It is extremely unusual for me to be ravenously hungry when I wake up, so this works out pretty well for me. Coffee while I check email, draw up my "to do" lists for the day, and feed my son. Second cup while I do the morning dishes and do a quick cleanup of the kitchen. Then, it's time for a bowl of oatmeal or high fiber cereal. By stretching out my breakfast time like this, I'm able to eat a bit more efficiently and effectively later on in the day. I like to work out in the evenings, after I put my son to bed, around seven thirty or so.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I'm not typically hungry right when I wake up, but if I don't eat right away I never get hungry throughout the day. I like to eat like 10-15 minutes after I wake up, and then I usually have a snack like 3-4 hrs later when I do get hungry. It works for me, and for someone recovering from years of eating disorders and body abuse, it's nice to feel the hunger again.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I eat around 6am.. it is scientifically proven to jump start my metabolism. Around six am my metabolism is around 655 if you eat around 6am and use a meta monitor it shows a spike of +150!!!

When I ate around 5 am the spike was only +50 and when I ate past 8am it was a measly +25.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I eat around 6am.. it is scientifically proven to jump start my metabolism. Around six am my metabolism is around 655 if you eat around 6am and use a meta monitor it shows a spike of +150!!!

When I ate around 5 am the spike was only +50 and when I ate past 8am it was a measly +25.

please provide sources of this scientific proof.