Ways to add protein to my diet

Options
I need to add more protein to my diet, what are your main ways you get protein in yours?

Replies

• iwillberipped
    iwillberipped Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do cottage cheese for breakfast and protein shakes for my snacks through out they day. I have to have something I can make quick without refrigerating, the protein powder has been working best for me. I try to plan my meals for the week so I know I am getting protein with every meal. I am also trying to come up with a variety of ideas to add more as well.
  • Shabnam222
    Shabnam222 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i've stayed away from protein shakes because i feel they are high in calories. which do you use? do you think the trade off is worth it (high calories but high protein and less hunger).
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky, turkey sausage, and chicken. :-)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Meat & eggs (more whites than yolks). Chicken breasts, fish & seafood, lean cuts of beef and pork.

Quality protein shakes. High quality protein powder is very low in calories. One gram of protein contains 4 calories. I buy either Now Sports 100% pure Whey Protein Isolate Natural flavor (1.12 calories per gram of protein) or Biochem Ultimate Low Carb Pure Whey Isolate Natural flavor.

Amazon.com is usually the cheapest but there are other websites like bodybuilding.com among others.
  • Alba15031
    Options
    If you are not getting enough protein then a protein shake n the morning would be a good thing at just over 100 calories and between 20 -30 g of protein (depending on brand) is a good way to go. Also eggs and lean meats things like a tin of tuna as a snack 130 calories and 30 g of protein. You should aim to eat 1g of protein per pound of body weight . If you are doing weight training you should up this to 1.5g of protein per pound.
  • Supraweight
    Options
    find a good high quality protein power. The calories from them will be mostly the protein. i use dynamize elite each scoop is 125cals 21g protein 1.5g fat 6g carbs. And it tastes great. I also mix oats with them and other stuff to make them a meal.

also keep in mind
    each gram of protein and carbs is 4 calories and each gram of fat is 10 so a protein shake with 21grams of protein will have atleast 84calroies from the protein alone.
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Me too. I have been eating greek yogurt and almonds (fruit too) for breakfast.
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    Eggs, Greek Yogurt and protein smoothies. I make my own protein smoothies ranging from 200-300 calories. They make a great breakfast on the go or a recovery meal. Usually, I make them with banana, Greek Yogurt, non-fat cow milk,berries and spinach. High protein, delicious and keeps me going. When I need more calories due to my schedule, I add protein powder. Adding protein means adding calories but not only do you need it, more protein keeps you feeling fuller longer. When I have a protein shake in the morning, it is very rare for me to eat anything else until lunch because I am still so full.