Dancing for Exercise

Options
Do any of you (make a fool of yourself at home)-oooops I mean, do freestyle dance at home for exercise and get results or do you prefer to purchase the dance dvds. If any of you know of any good fat burning dance dvds, please let me know. I knew a woman who told me that she lost about 100 lbs in a year by cutting her dailly food intake in half and she would do freestyle at home by just listening to radio and going out dancing with her husband. I know that Dancing With The Stars has caused people to drop so much weight, because we all know that dancers have great bodies. However, I know we can't all do ballroom dance moves in our livingrooms. I also thought that some dance moves v. gym equipment all the time, may make the idea of exercising a little more fun for me.

So, if any of you have had success with dance being your way to burn calories, please give me some tips/advice/etc.....

Thanks and have a blessed day!

Replies

• GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I can't say anything about dance DVDs as I haven't tried any of them, but I have Just Dance 2 and 3 for the Wii. I wear my heart rate monitor when I play and for every half hour I burn almost 300 calories. I play against my daughters and they get mad when I kick their butts at it :laugh: .
  • Brandi_Lei
    Options
    I can't say anything about dance DVDs as I haven't tried any of them, but I have Just Dance 2 and 3 for the Wii. I wear my heart rate monitor when I play and for every half hour I burn almost 300 calories. I play against my daughters and they get mad when I kick their butts at it :laugh: .

I LOVE THE SOUND OF BURNING 300 CALORIES IN 30 MINUTES!!!
  • BattyMama
    BattyMama Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I dance and jump rope almost everyday. I turn on the music and just dance while I am cooking, cleaning or well anything I love my music and dancing with my daughter. So I say shake that waist smaller
  • BreeLo91
    Options
    I have the Hip Hop Abs workout program by Shaun T, also creator of Insanity, and it is AMAZING. Not only is it fun, but you don't need much room to do it and the music is very upbeat. I have lost over 20 pounds doing it so far.
  • tplcook1
    Options
    I have that DVD too. I looooove it:)
  • Brandi_Lei
    Options
    I dance and jump rope almost everyday. I turn on the music and just dance while I am cooking, cleaning or well anything I love my music and dancing with my daughter. So I say shake that waist smaller

LOL! :)
  • tplcook1
    Options
    Make a fool is right.:) I do that all the time and I actually work up a good sweat. I get my baby girl and we turn the TV to the radio station channel with non-stop songs and we get down...lol. I think it is a great work out. When I'm dancing, I picture myself as a back-up dancer...lol...making the faces and everything...lol:)
  • Brandi_Lei
    Options
    I have the Hip Hop Abs workout program by Shaun T, also creator of Insanity, and it is AMAZING. Not only is it fun, but you don't need much room to do it and the music is very upbeat. I have lost over 20 pounds doing it so far.

Shaun T. Mr. Tilt, Tuck, & Tighten!! That infomercial played so much it was stuck in my head. It does look fun, though! The Insanity looks very hardcore.
  • Brandi_Lei
    Options
    Make a fool is right.:) I do that all the time and I actually work up a good sweat. I get my baby girl and we turn the TV to the radio station channel with non-stop songs and we get down...lol. I think it is a great work out. When I'm dancing, I picture myself as a back-up dancer...lol...making the faces and everything...lol:)

GO GIRL!!!
  • crazyleo86
    Options
    what do you put the wii dance videos under? when i do the just dance and other related videos -- i'm just not sure what catagory to put it under.
  • jazzie2421
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2005. I found the "free for ladies" nights places and would go dancing 2-3 times a week, only coming off the dance floor to get a glass of water. I dropped 145lbs using those tactics. Life, stress and a couple of nasty injuries to my back have caused 60lbs to creep back on.

I now like to play the Kinnect, we have Dance Central 2 and the Adventures games. I like them way better than the Wii. I also have the Zumba one on kinnect, and that's fun. I still go dancing, but not nearly as often. Those games are definitely work outs and they are a lot of fun.
  • Leigh2778
    Leigh2778 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do Just Dance 3 and Zumba on the Wii. Pretty sure my dancing looks nothing like it's supposed to. ;) But it's fun and it keeps me moving, so I say go for it!
  • crazyleo86
    Options
    what do you put it under when you log in your exercise??????
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I got a little I-pod shuffle and downloaded only songs that are only upbeat to it- I clip it on to myself and make a fool of myself for an hour at a time. When not dancing around for exercise, I use it to go walking outside and usually walk for about an hour and 10 minutes (4 miles). It really helps keep the mood "upbeat" like the music. Good Luck!
  • Deannajlm
    Deannajlm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    what do you put it under when you log in your exercise??????

I would put it under Aerobic Dance or there is one for Dance General I think. Have fun!
  • dawnkay1
    Options
    I use YouTube videos. I either find dance routines I really love and copy them, or I do Zumba on YouTube.

Best thing is it's all free and I can change the videos as often as I'd like.

I make them all into a long playlist and then just dance for ages. If you try a new routine, by the time you've done 4-5 times you've already passed about 20 minutes. Love it!
  • debshedkg
    debshedkg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi yip I agree "dancing for exercise" is really great. Do not know about any dvds though, I have heard pole dancing is excellent. I would love to do pole dancing (but for now I just need to try and get up 10 steps) never mind swinging on a pole

I need to loose 50-60kg and this is how I started, it was so hard for me to get going and do exercising because of my large body - by feet, knees, my body would just hurt. My mood also was blue.

Then my daughter 10 put on some funky music and we danced, then we started dancing to "drumming music, african origin" - it was such fun and each night we would all do dancing, moving our bodies and I worked up a sweat, even my husband and son joing in..

I always have music on - jazzy blue, folk country or high energy -as long as it has a beat - I dance - My body has got stronger and now I walk on the beach in the mornings - 40 minutes and at 7pm we all dance - it is really great.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    what do you put the wii dance videos under? when i do the just dance and other related videos -- i'm just not sure what catagory to put it under.

I log it under "Dancing, general" and input the calorie count from my heart rate monitor. :smile:
  • Freya7777
    Options
    I have heard great things about 'just dance' for the wii, but I haven't tried it myself. I did however join an irish step dance class (about a year ago) that I attend for 2 hours on sat mornings, and it has definately helped my bod out. I have noticed that my legs are way more toned than they have been in years! Plus its nice to ditch the hubby and kids to have a little me time and shake it!
  • butterflyqueen1984
    butterflyqueen1984 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I use Zumba as my dance fitness, I attend a class once a week which costs me £4 and then if I have the time (I did say if!) I use my zumba dvd's I have at home. Zumba is all about swaying your hips and looking all feminine but at the same time its a bit like aerobics and it's great fun!