Anyone have a healthy recipe for scones?

Options
Hi all,

I would like to make some healthy scones tomorrow. Does anyone have a recipe that I could use?

Replies

• LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I saw this one posted by a MFP member the other day (looked yummy to me):

http://momvsfood.blogspot.com/2012/01/not-so-bad-rosemary-scones.html

Also, if you do a search of the message boards, there are many posts regarding scone recipes. Happy baking!
  • rashooy
    rashooy Posts: 55
    Options
    thx :)
  • ssp1977
    ssp1977 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    There is healthy food...and then there are scones. If anyone tells you they will be "just as good" with substitutions for the butter and cream, they are fooling themselves! So my suggestion would be to have a scone now and again and enjoy its rich deliciousness! There are plenty of healthy foods that are also delicious but I am not a fan of ruining amazing food by trying to "dietize" them. Just my opinon :)
  • carolinacourtney
    Options
    Currant Scones
    390 grams whole-grain gluten-free mix
    1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
    70 grams (1/3 cup) sucanat (whole cane sugar)
    80 grams (1/2 cup) currants
    114 grams (1/2 cup or 1 US stick) cold butter, cut into 8 to 10 pieces
    120 grams (1/2 cup) cold buttermilk
    120 grams (1/2 cup) thick Greek yogurt or crème fraiche
    1 cold egg
    1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
    2 tablespoons raw sugar

Preparing to bake. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Or, if you want your scones to puff up higher, grease a 9-inch pie pan (preferably not glass). Preheat the oven to 350°.

Mixing the dry ingredients. Pour the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sucanat, and currants into the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix them together on low speed until they are well combined.

Add the pieces of butter. Put the entire mixing bowl into the freezer for at least 5 minutes and no longer than 15 minutes.

Mixing the liquids. While the bowl is chilling, combine the buttermilk, yogurt, and egg. Whisk them together well.

Making the scone dough. Put the bowl back on the stand mixer. Mix on the lowest speed until the butter has broken down a bit. The pieces of butter should be the size of lima beans.

Slowly, pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour-butter mixture with the mixer running on low speed. As soon as the dough comes together — with loose flour remaining on the bottom of the bowl — turn off the mixer.

Forming the scones. Remove the bowl from the stand mixer. Turn over the dough with your hands. It will be a bit wet, with the loose flour at the bottom. Gently, turn the dough in the loose flour until all the flour is mixed in. Do not over-mix. You want to keep the buttery layers in the dough.

Dump the dough onto the baking sheet (or in the pie pan). Pat the dough into a 7-inch circle about 1 inch thick. Brush the egg yolk over the top, then sprinkle with the raw sugar. Cut the circle of dough into 8 wedges. Put the dough into the freezer for 15 minutes.

Baking the scones. Slide the dough into the oven. Bake until the entire circle of dough is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 50 minutes. Allow the scones to cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes, then slice the wedges.
  • Ash852
    Ash852 Posts: 10
    Options
    bump
  • Fraileya19
    Options
    I found these online:

Healthy Lemon-Blueberry Scones Recipe
    (Adapted from Dinner With Julie)

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 Tbsp. sugar (optional)
    1 Tbsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 Tbsp. lemon zest
    1/4 cup butter, chilled and cut into pieces
    1/4 cup olive or canola oil
    3/4 cup milk or buttermilk
    1 cup fresh or frozen berries (don’t thaw them)
    2 Tbsp. lemon juice
    1 cup powdered sugar
    Method:

Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.

Put the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest in the bowl of a food processor or into a medium mixing bowl and pulse or stir until well blended. Add the butter and oil and pulse or stir with a wire whisk or fork until crumbly. If you’re using a food processor, transfer the mixture to a medium bowl.

Add the milk and berries and stir gently just until the dough is combined.

Pat the dough into a circle that is about 1” thick and 8”-9” in diameter on the cookie sheet. (If they are sweet and you want a brown, crunchy top, brush them with a little milk and sprinkle with sugar.) Cut the circle into 8 wedges with a knife or pastry cutter and separate them on the sheet so that they are at least an inch apart.

Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven.

If you would like to add glaze, stir together lemon juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl until well-blended. (Feel free to add more/less powdered sugar to make the glaze your desired consistency.) Brush or drizzle glaze on top of cooled scones (or if you’re impatient like me, brush while they’re warm), and serve.

http://gimmesomeoven.com/healthy-glazed-lemon-blueberry-scones/
  • rashooy
    rashooy Posts: 55
    Options
    I agree :) thx
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I just went onto Skinnytaste.com and there's a recipe for Chocolate chip scones front and center -- and they look goooood :love:
  • Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The one posted on skinnytaste today looks amazing!!
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've made these before, they are AWESOME! and easy:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=506067

Scone Blueberry (Low Fat) with Bisquick

Nutrition Info
    Calories: 115.6
    Fat: 1.6g
    Carbohydrates: 23.3g
    Protein: 2.8g

Ingredients

*Heart Smart Bisquick (mix only), 1.5 cup (remove)
    Better 'n' Eggs egg substitute, 0.25 cup (remove)
    Granulated Sugar, 0.25 cup (remove)
    Blueberries, frozen (unsweetened), 0.5 cup, unthawed (remove)
    Milk, 1%, 0.25 cup (remove)

Directions
    In a large bowl, place Bisquick Mix, sugar and blueberries. If you have a fresh lemon, 1 t. lemon zest adds a great flavor boost. Set aside.

In a 1 cup measure, whisk milk and egg together.

Pour liquids into Bisquick bowl and use a fork to mix things together gently. Use a large cookie scoop to portion out 8 dollops of dough onto parchment paper.

Use wet fingers to flatten each scone slightly.

Bake 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until edges are browning.

Number of Servings: 8

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MANJUK.