Does anyone know anything about....

Options
Painkillers, like Vicodin? or hydrocodone? I got my wisdom teeth out last week, and took them for pain, and they seemed to work, but this week, one of the places that a tooth was cut out of got infected pretty badly and I'm in a lot of pain. I took 2 pills tonight for pain, as it was giving me hell and a pretty bad headache... and an hour and a half later, it still hurts so badly that I just threw up. I was wondering if anyone knew how long this takes to kick in? Or if I should just wait it out? I'm feeling pretty bad right now... if anyone is awake and knows about this, I'd really appreciate your info... thanks. -Adele

Replies

• adelespears
    Options
    Painkillers, like Vicodin? or hydrocodone? I got my wisdom teeth out last week, and took them for pain, and they seemed to work, but this week, one of the places that a tooth was cut out of got infected pretty badly and I'm in a lot of pain. I took 2 pills tonight for pain, as it was giving me hell and a pretty bad headache... and an hour and a half later, it still hurts so badly that I just threw up. I was wondering if anyone knew how long this takes to kick in? Or if I should just wait it out? I'm feeling pretty bad right now... if anyone is awake and knows about this, I'd really appreciate your info... thanks. -Adele
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    When I receive hydrocodone for a surgery or tooth extraction it typically takes 2-3 hours for my painkillers to take the full effect.

Talk to your doctor, I'm sure everyone is different.
  • adelespears
    Options
    thanks. ): It just sucks being sick at school and away from parents.
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You should probably go to the emergency room to have the infection treated. You don't want that to get out of control.

Usually an oral surgeon will have an answering service and someone will get back to you (Soon) if you call them. Try that

I don't think painkillers help with the pain from infection.

Good luck I hope you feel better:flowerforyou:
  • adelespears
    Options
    Thanks, we called the dentist pretty late last night and he called in some antibiotics, so I'm on those for the infection. it just hurts like hell while it's trying to heal.
  • hinther
    hinther Posts: 8
    Options
    If the meds are 500mg then you may have thrown up from taking two or it could even be an allergic reaction. I have had many surgeries and they always prescribe hydrocodone. This medication has been known to give people headaches, it is one of the most common side effects. You should try reading the drug info sheet the pharmacy gives with the meds. But I agree with dhayes, take off to the ER and get them to help get the pain under control, or call you dentist right now. good luck
  • adelespears
    Options
    I think I'll be ok for tonight, really.I'm drinking a sprite and having a few animal crackers and I'm starting to feel better. and even though the pain's not really going away, im really sleepy, so I don't think I could drive anyway. thank you guys for the concern, im going to call my mom early tomorrow to see what she says about all of this. I've been taking this for a week, 2 pills each time, and I've never thrown up, so it might be from dinner tonight. Who knows. Bah. I hope Helawat is right and it takes 2-3 hours, cause that means that it'll be going away soon, haha.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    get to the doctor sweets. Been there with a tooth gum infection!!!!!