IPOD Nano 6th Gen

Options
So do I need to insert the adapter to link the shoe sensor to run..thought this was built in? Pedometer seem to be accurate walk arouind office this morning. Can the pedometer track treadmill runs?

Replies

• purerunning
    Options
    You do not need the adapter with the 6th Gen Nano running the latest IOS. The built in accelerometer will work, however you most likely will have to calibrate it, which is done after the workout.
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Got a yes and no? Do I need show sensor and 6ft gen nano has built in adapter? Can i plug in adapter to sync with chest strap then?
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure this out too. I have a 6th gen ipod nano w/ the nike+ app, its more than just the pedometer version in older apps that were on the nano. But I got the sensor for xmas and I'm trying to figure out if I need it or not.

I don't have the polar nike+ strap yet but I'm thinking of getting that as well. Any clue on that works with the system?
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    So do I need to insert the adapter to link the shoe sensor to run..thought this was built in? Pedometer seem to be accurate walk arouind office this morning. Can the pedometer track treadmill runs?

Technically. As mentioned, the latest software updates for the Nike app calculates miles, time etc.. now. Not just counting steps.

If you have the Nike shoes built for this I guess you can still hook up to it.

Update the nano to the latest software (sync with computer) and you'll see what I mean.
  • crystalinda
    Options
    After a lot of internet sleuthing I think I've finally figured this out. At least as it pertains to me and really what else matters than that.

I have the 7th Generation Ipod Nano that was released last November. Which does NOT require the nike+ ipod sport kit. The 7th Gen has a built-in accelerometer eliminating the need for the nike+ sport kit. For those interested in using the nike+ ipod + Polar wearlink+ transmitter along w/ your 7th Gen Nano it appears from that no additional accessories are needed. No sensor needed for this either. Just Nano & Polar wearlink+ transmitter.

6th Generation seems to be a different story. Not sure but I don't have the 6G so I'm not interested in doing any more research. Sorry.
  • crystalinda
    Options
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    As per the spec sheet on the Nano 6th gen (Requires Nike + iPod Sensor, sold separately) . The software is built in to the nano but it does require the sensor.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    After a lot of internet sleuthing I think I've finally figured this out. At least as it pertains to me and really what else matters than that.

I have the 7th Generation Ipod Nano that was released last November. Which does NOT require the nike+ ipod sport kit. The 7th Gen has a built-in accelerometer eliminating the need for the nike+ sport kit. For those interested in using the nike+ ipod + Polar wearlink+ transmitter along w/ your 7th Gen Nano it appears from that no additional accessories are needed. No sensor needed for this either. Just Nano & Polar wearlink+ transmitter.

6th Generation seems to be a different story. Not sure but I don't have the 6G so I'm not interested in doing any more research. Sorry.

Technically if you want to use the Nike + software in what you call the Nano 7th gen ( Which is technically the 6th gen with firmware 1.2 ) you still need the adapter if you want to use the Nike+ app as designed.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I'll have to check but my 6th gen touch has the update nike app that can be set for time, distance and I've used w/o the sensor. I set it for 30 min and after, it tracked how far I've run.

I assume because the old software was pedometer based, the upgraded software uses the pedometer to calculate the distance. Time of course is not a factor.

For things like calories burnt, I can see a sensor to be required. HRM
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    Just to give you all the info, this is the official nike + page on Apple.com

http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/

This will itemize all the details. The biggest advantage is that the Nike+ sensor will update the Nike+ portal webpage with all your run/jog/walk stats.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    If you implying that I need the sensor, how did I use my 6th gen on a run w/o it?
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    I thought I was being as precise as possible. The iPod has a pedometer built it with can be used to track basic distance but the Nike + adapter if you do decide to use it will give you full run stats, speed, calories, change the music based on your pace and compile a full workout review after the run.

In the old days you needed to have the sensor in your shoe and a physical receiver hooked to your iPod. The new iterations of iPod and iPhones have the receiver built in so you only need to use the sensor in your shoe if you want to truly use the Nike+ system as it was designed. The pedometer is a completely different software package on the iPod.

It's like anything in life, do you want the basic pedometer or do you want the full blown experience. It's up to you to decide.
  • crystalinda
    Options

Technically if you want to use the Nike + software in what you call the Nano 7th gen ( Which is technically the 6th gen with firmware 1.2 ) you still need the adapter if you want to use the Nike+ app as designed.

can you clarify what you mean by using the Nike+ app as designed. This is where I get confused. What more is it supposed to do? There doesn't seem to be any solid responses to that question when asked do I need the sensor I only get yes you need it or no you don't. I've got the 7G (and I understand that the only dif. between 6 & 7 G is firmware) and it calculates my distance, time, pace, etc. it gives me audibles at the touch of a button and at the end of a work out gives me a summary that includes all of this and my calories burned and has a calibrate button option as well. And this is all without the sensor, so my questions is how does the sensor improve the functionality of the nike+ ipod nano app.?
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I also thought I was being clear. I read the OP's post again. He asks of the existing pedometer on the exisitng nike software will work w/o the sensor. Specifically on the treadmill.

I contend that the existing ipod nano will do what he requested. Especially if he downloads the latest version.

The pedometer based software isn't seperate. It's supplied with the nano when you purchase it.
  • crystalinda
    Options
    I thought I was being as precise as possible. The iPod has a pedometer built it with can be used to track basic distance but the Nike + adapter if you do decide to use it will give you full run stats, speed, calories, change the music based on your pace and compile a full workout review after the run.

In the old days you needed to have the sensor in your shoe and a physical receiver hooked to your iPod. The new iterations of iPod and iPhones have the receiver built in so you only need to use the sensor in your shoe if you want to truly use the Nike+ system as it was designed. The pedometer is a completely different software package on the iPod.

It's like anything in life, do you want the basic pedometer or do you want the full blown experience. It's up to you to decide.

... so I do need the adapter to improve the stats of the run and change the speed of the music, but I don't need the sensor because its built into the nano?
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    What I meant by different piece of software is that it is not the same package on the iOS device itself, sorry I am from an Apple technical background so it's hard to turn off the techy aspect of it.

This is how I understand it

1. You can use the iPod nano 6th generation with it's built in pedometer software to calculate time/distance/steps taken

2. You can use the full blown Nike+ sensor / software if you choose to, which will give you the same info as the pedometer ( although most like more precisely ) in addition the Heart rate, Music changes depending on pace and a full workout summary synced up to Nike+ website to give you more information on what you did during your run.

The only reason I added the additional info Jeff is because some people were asking about it. The OP may not but some others did so I volunteered the info.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

... so I do need the adapter to improve the stats of the run and change the speed of the music, but I don't need the sensor because its built into the nano?

To strictly use it no, you don't. But if you want to sync it and use some of the other features, you'll need to have the sensor I guess. ie... sync the info to your iPhone.
  • crystalinda
    Options
    I hate that it has to be this difficult to get straight answers. Thanks to all of those that have tried to clarify. Here's some additional info I got from the sport Kit item detail page from apple's online store:

*For iPod nano (6th generation), the Nike + iPod Sport Kit is optional and only required for workouts using the Polar Wearlink®+ Heart Rate Transmitter for Nike+.

* The sensor’s battery is not replaceable or rechargeable and has a life of over 1000 active hours. Battery life will vary considerably based on use and other factors.

I take that this is just a re-iteration of what Jeff & Eric have been discussing and that it also applies to the 7G. So the final word is no not required, it is optional and can improve some features.

Thank you again Jeff & Eric, and Mike, you're welcome.

That is all.