Advice for a first time weight lifter. Please and Thanks!

Options
I'm about to start lifting (NROL4W) and I've got to head down to my gym today to check out the free weights area. However I have never lifted before and I am very nervous.

I also need to get some shoes. Any recommendations?
I also need some clothes, the usual big t-shirt and sweat pants isn't going to cut it. What should I wear?

I know I'm gonna look like a noob but I don't want to look like a total plonker so any other advice?

Replies

• richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I also need some clothes, the usual big t-shirt and sweat pants isn't going to cut it. What should I wear?
    You can garb yourself in an assortment of those cute girl outfits, but your sweats and t-shirts are fine, because this is about comfort more than anything.

Just go do your thing, and try to forget anybody else is even there.

You're there to work - not impress others.
    As for specific workouts and routines, hear me! Get this down before you hit the gym.
    Either hire a personal trainer or do your own comprehensive research on how best to begin.
    Here's a link to get you started:
    http://www.dcdoctor.com/pages/rightpages_wellnesscenter/fitnessandexerciseprograms/resistancetraining/resistrain_women.html

This is but one resource of many. Know what you're going to do and why before you darken the door of any gym.
    Keep a log with you and journal your workouts.

And finally, HAVE FUN!
    Yes, enjoy yourself. Life is to be lived.

Good Luck.:smile:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. Those are going to be interesting to read through. I've read a couple of things and I really like the New Rules of Lifting for Women. So I'm planning on doing that.
    I've photocopied the exercises I don't know every well so I can stand there and read them before I do it.

I'm only checking out the free weight area today, I don't plan on starting until Monday, after I've read the book again. I'll have a look at those links as well.

I can't afford a personal trainer right now so that's out of the window.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    In terms of footwear and clothing - you want clothes that will maintain your dignity throughout the different ranges of movement, and for footwear, something that will provide you steady footing. I personally opt for skate-style trainers (Airwalk) as they have a very wide, flat sole, although I ocassionally work out in my running shoes.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you don't know what you're doing at all, be careful with free weights. You don't want to injure yourself.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do them, just go steady, don't try to do too much too soon, and if there's anything you're not comfortable with it's ok to ask someone to be your spotter.

If you really want to use free weights then fair enough, but you might be better off starting with the machines instead. There's a much shallower learning curve on those, and you get to watch and learn what the people are doing with free weights while you build up a base layer of strength on the machines.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I would consider one or two sessions with a personal trainer or someone you trust to show you the moves. Like David said, you can injure yourself if your form is wrong. It is not something you would need to do on an ongoing basis as once you learn how to do an exercise you will know them.

Good luck!
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options

I would also recommend Scoobys workshop, I find him really good. Although I didn't know he did stuff especially for women so can't recommend them specifically.
  • PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    heehee.. I looked like a total noob when I started NROLFW.. I didn't care though.. I take a diary in with me with the workout for the day so I can add in my sets and weights.

AMAZING workout though
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If you're following NRoLFW workouts then try going on youtube to check out the exercises before heading down there, that's what I did, and then definitely get one of the trainers at the gym to show you correct form, or you could end up doing yourself some damage. Good luck with it.

I'm also starting the NRoLFW workouts today, been lifting for a while but want to start this programme and needed a swiss ball first before I could start...have that now! Will check in on you later see how you got on, we can compare notes :smile:
  • mcdonl
    Options
    I had to google NRoLFW as being a man I never heard of it.

I have to ask though, and I am not being snarky I honestly do not know.... Do women have different muscles/muscle structure than men? I have always been around women athletes and they train just like the men.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start lifting (NROL4W) and I've got to head down to my gym today to check out the free weights area. However I have never lifted before and I am very nervous.

I know I'm gonna look like a noob but I don't want to look like a total plonker so any other advice?

I love that book and have started using it. NROL4W has a website that you can go to and in their chat boards there are vidios that show you some of the work outs, and Utube is anouther great place to check out.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options

I have to ask though, and I am not being snarky I honestly do not know.... Do women have different muscles/muscle structure than men? I have always been around women athletes and they train just like the men.

Not when it comes to lifting, which is the whole point of the book.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    If you're following NRoLFW workouts then try going on youtube to check out the exercises before heading down there, that's what I did, and then definitely get one of the trainers at the gym to show you correct form, or you could end up doing yourself some damage. Good luck with it.

I'm also starting the NRoLFW workouts today, been lifting for a while but want to start this programme and needed a swiss ball first before I could start...have that now! Will check in on you later see how you got on, we can compare notes :smile:

Thanks.
    I know they have the swiss balls at my gym. I remember seeing them because we have one. It was a something my mum bought and never used. It's been in the garden for about 3 years but it's actually still good. Just needs a little pumping up.

I'll try and grab the trainer at my gym.
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Shoes--not too cushiony, you want to be lifting weight, not compressing EVA foam. Avoid running/basketball/casual&skate shoes. Look for real cross trainers or bare foot type runners (with the five toes, although I don't personally like them).

Clothes--whatever you are comfortable in. some people like baggy (sweat pants and t-shirts are OK) while others like compression fit stuff, see what you like and don't run out and buy a whole gym wardrobe until you know your preferences.

Note--think about buying weight lifting gloves, they prevent calluses and can make lifting a little more pleasant especially when you are new to holding textured bars.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options

I'm in the same boat.
  • mcdonl
    Options
    Ok, I understand now. Good luck and thanks.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

If you haven't yet join here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
    and here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/128-bodybuilding

shoes: if all you're doing is lifting converse are the best. a nice flat (not springy) shoe allows your foot to ground fully into the floor and give you a nice strong base. I usually run for warm up so I use a thin soled puma runner. cross trainers or shoes with extra padding can throw off your squat, deadlift, and lunge form.
    wear whatever you are comfortable in that won't hinder movement or get caught up on the equipment (racer back tanks are my go to).
    Even if you don't feel like you belong there, act like you do and no one will question it.
    Ear mark the pages in your book that you need for that day's exercise (chart and moves) so that you're not standing there paging back and forth like a tourist.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I prefer doing strength training in my bare feet because I find that I improve my balance that way. At the gym, I think they pretty much frown on that, so I'd wear something without all of that cushioning like running shoes have. I like to wear capri yoga-type pants, or shorts with compression shorts underneath (so people don't see my knickers when I'm working on my abs!), for a shirt just a nice short sleeved shirt that fits but isn't too tight and something that will help wick the sweat away from my body.

When you start lifting heavier, workout gloves will help a bunch!
  • cmc571
    cmc571 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recommend finding a gym that offers Les Mills classes in your area if you can, and start with a Body Pump class - it is a 55 minute class that uses a barbell with weighted plates on the end - they do a warmup track, a shoulder, chest, squat, lunge, back, bicep and tri-cep track with a final track of abs and cool-down -

If you can't find that, everybody knows a Beachbody coach, and you can now order Les Mills Pump (the kit) through Beachbody - and if you don't happen to know a Beachbody coach, just go to www.beachbody.com and check it out -

Candy
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting to lift!! There is a great group here for NROLFW that you might want to check out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

You'll see all kinds of clothing at the gym - some people wear fancy gear, some are there in plain old shorts and t-shirts. Doesn't matter a bit - t-shirt and sweats will be just fine (as long as it doesn't get in the way of your work). You can't wear flip flops LOL - just a good pair of tennis shoes will work.

Make sure you warm up good and stretch afterwards. Check out some videos to help you with the form that you can't learn from a book (form is important so you don't injure yourself). If you feel silly, just pretend you don't and nobody will know the difference. Have fun!!!