Aching Lower Back

Options
Hi,

I've started working out (Power 90 nonreligiously) and I've developed a lower back pain. I live a pretty inactive lifestyle due to my job which is a desk job. I sit all day long and sitting hurts the most and I'm sitting for 6-7 hours a day. I've had back problems in the past and my doctor says to do exercises that will strengthen my lower back.

What can I do to do that?? I'm ready to get rid of this back pain!! It puts a huge damper in some of my strength workouts.

Replies

• armon403
    armon403 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Consult a Chiropractor in your area and ask him/her these very same questions. My guess is that you need to work on core strength which will help support your low back.
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I always hear strengthen your core. I have issues with my lower back, and I've always had weak core muscles, especially after having a c section.
  • SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ahhh a question I can answer!

I'm about to graduate physical therapy school. I dealt with low back pain patients for 3 months at my last clinical. I'd like to think i'm pretty qualified to help you out here.

Now, without doing a formal evaluation, I can give you some suggestions to see what works best for you.

First of all...try standing, feet shoulder width apart. Place your hands on your hips. Focus on something stationary on the wall. Now do some backbends. Its important to focus on something stationary so you don't flop your head back and forth with the backbends. Do about 10 and see if the pain is better or worse.

Since you have a sedentary job, I would suggest being more aware of your posture. Have you ever tried a lumbar roll? They have different kinds some are large, some small, small stiff some with more give. Start out with a small one that is more squishy (Early-compliance) to see if you like it and if you can tolerate it. If you dont wanna spend money roll up a magazine and then a towel around the magazine. Try that.
    Whenever you find yourself slouching , fix your posture. You cant fix posture over night so dont be discouraged if you cant sustain good posture or you just forget!

Another thing you can do is to strengthen your upper back. Try looking up rowing exercises that target the rhomboids, and scapular musculature.

And as others have said your core is very important. A tough exercise to kinda get down is a transversus abdominus exercise. Try looking up some exercises for this muscle because it is band like and so it provides support for your core but also your spine. WHen you contract it you should bring your belly button towards your spine and if someone was standing next to you they shouldn't even notice yourstomach moving at all! Its a tough one but important.

I have plenty of other exercises up my sleeve if you need anything but this should give you a good start to see what helps!
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Bump for me, as I am having lower back pain myself at the moment :cry:

Good luck OP, hope you get it fixed asap!
  • ChangingJosh
    ChangingJosh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks dancerchickch! I'll give all of that a shot. It's just so annoying throughout the day.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Dead lifts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    First thing I check for is hamstring flexibility. The majority of back issues I've dealt with on clients is that they were inflexible in their hamstrings, so no matter how much back strengthening, and core work they did their back would still hurt because of the tight pull from the hamstrings.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • frmeital
    Options
    This is an excellent stretch forlower back pain, try doing it before and after your workouts, I think it will really help you:

http://natural-alternative-therapies.com/low-backache-exercises/
  • nickiw68
    Options
    Have you tried pilates? That seems to have helped me quite a bit with my lower back problem.
  • spartacus69
    Options
    Dead lifts.

What works for one person may not work for you, depending on the source of your problem.

You've gotten some great advice in this thread so far.

I've suffered pain and muscle spasms in my lower back for years, and gone through all the traditional therapies (PT, TENS, heat, cold, daily hamstring stretches, core routines, etc.) Even had morphine at the hospital one time!

The two things that work best for me:

(1) I do a "sumo squat stretch" after every workout, and usually every morning as well, holding the position for about a minute, and rocking gently side-to-side. (Careful with the knees.) It's weird but it feels great to stand up straight after this.
    http://magazine.stack.com/Exercises/1522/Sumo_Squat_Stretch.aspx

(2) I recently started doing deadlifts with very strict form. I was worried these would make matters worse, but others kept insisting I try them. Glad I did! Best exercise ever, for me. I don't lift too heavy, preferring higher reps with moderate weight. Again, strict form is essential.
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deadlift-with-proper-technique/

You'll have to experiment a bit to see what works for you; but I really just wanted to second the deadlift recommendation.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I agree with the deadlift as long as there is not something wrong physically. Start out very light and make sure your form is correct. You could do more damage if you do things wrong. This exercise, along with squats will do wonders to strengthen your core. Again, performing these lifts correctly is the key to success if you want to strengthen your back and core.