Filling Foods

Options
Can anyone give me suggestions on what foods and snacks are good, low in calories, and keep you full? Also how does everyone resist those urges for the bad/unhealthy foods?!

Replies

• STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Filling foods are
    Broccoli, Green Beans, Beans, Zuccinni, Apples, for examples..
    Oatmeal.....
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Whole grain crackers or something, and I make other people around me eat all the fattening foods!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Guacamole/Advocado's. I have some with soy crackers and I am full for hours.
  • Katenater
    Katenater Posts: 1
    Options
    A cup of most bean soups will really help. Beans are complex carbs and complex carbs digest slower leaving you sated longer. Do some research on complex carbs and stick to em for snacks!
  • karamae
    karamae Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When I get a sweet tooth I either eat air popped popcorn or a sugar free pudding. It seems to do the trick! I agree with beans and oatmeal. Veggies are also low in calories. Good luck!
  • JaneAusten
    JaneAusten Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    yoghurt and any kind of soup (not necessarily together :happy: )
  • JaneAusten
    JaneAusten Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    yoghurt and any kind of soup (not necessarily together :happy: )
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I like Uncle Ben's 100% Natural Brown Rice. When I cook it, I add onion flakes, garlic, salt, cayenne pepper...anything really you like. Then I can snack on 1/4 c if I want something substantial and savory. I also LOVE edamame saute`d with carrots and red onions! LOVE THAT!
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Almonds or low fat string cheese are some of my favorites. You want to get protein in your snack to keep you satisfied longer. Usually having snacks around and eating regularly (every 2-3 hours vs. 3 large meals a day) help with my cravings. I crave more when I'm hungry. If I have a big craving I usually allow myself to satisfy it to an extent. If I really want some ice cream i'll have a frozen yogurt low in fat and only have a small cup full, laughing cow ice cream sandwiches are good alternatives. :-) My biggest craving is flamming hot cheetos so I'll allow myself to have 10 cheetos per craving. haha.

For me if I completely neglect my cravings it gets so bad that either I eat a ton of other food trying to stay away from my craving or I binge on crap food. :-)
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    A cup of most bean soups will really help. Beans are complex carbs and complex carbs digest slower leaving you sated longer. Do some research on complex carbs and stick to em for snacks!

Plus beans have protein which also helps you to feel full. Complex carbs & protein. What could be better?!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Also how does everyone resist those urges for the bad/unhealthy foods?!

Browse through the success forums and look at those before and after photos, hehe.
  • usmdancer88
    usmdancer88 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is very helpful!
  • DebbieDuffy31
    Options
    100 calorie popcorn, baby carrots raw, Sugar free Jello, fruits, water water water!
  • dnd858
    dnd858 Posts: 64
    Options
    Avocado's are super filling--sometimes I'll have one or half of those as my afternoon snack and it'll keep be full till dinner.
    I've also been snacking on almonds
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    100 calorie Orville Reddenbacher (sp?) Kettle Corn - curbs sweet and salty cravings AND its very filling.

Almonds, any fruits
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i eat oatmeal when i am really hungry between meals keeps me full and only 120-150 cals depending on flavor. peaches and cream really satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I find that there are two types of hunger & it's worth the evaluation. If your belly is feeling empty then vegetables is the way to go. Anything you like as much as you like. If your brain is feeling hungry then protein is the answer. Egg whites, cottage cheese, lean meat, beans etc.

If you can't figure out which it is, then it's probably boredom. Go do something fun & interesting!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    protein generally keeps you feeling satisfied longer so that is always a good idea. I personally have protein at every one of my main meals.
    As far as caving to the unhealthy stuff.. I won't say it doesn't ever happen but I have found that if you load up on water you tend to feel sort of full so you don't concern yourself with wanting to eat anything let alone those unhealthy snacks. If I want something unhealthy I usually drink a bottle of water first and if I still want it afterwards then I go for it.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    protein is definitely KEY!

I :heart: Fage 0% greek yogurt. You can eat a cup of it for 120 cals and it lasts and lasts. Add a little honey, granola, fruit, whatever and it is a meal.