Who has the time to work out?!

Options

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am serious about losing weight this year and eating 1200 a calories a day almost seems impossible to me. I have been going over by 100-200 cals a day :(
    I want to start working out and doing come cardio, however with school and work I just seem to be tired and not motivated. I would like to start getting up early in the morning and working out before my day begins but I can't seem to get myself out of bed. Any suggestions???
    You must decide how bad you really want to reach your fitness goals.
    And if this is a goal you truly desire, then attach intense pain to failure and extreme pleasure to success.
    That's real motivation that will never fail you - ever.

Nothing will keep you from taking the required action.
    You have to really want it though.
  • ykalucis
    Options
    If it were a priority you'd be amazed how you could fit it in. You can always break it up - 15 min increments. Make apts with yourself and get it on your calendar. I also try to trick myself into getting extra steps every day (I wear a pedometer)...i use the restroom downstairs, i try to stop in person to ask colleagues questions to get up and out of my office, if i go to a drive through i make myself get out of the car, i park far whether at work or malls, i always take the stairs, etc.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    When I make time to work out during the day I actually find that I end up having MORE energy and am LESS tired the longer I keep up the exercise. The hardest part to pretty much ANY working out is the initial "getting started." Try setting aside 30 minutes to an hour a day after work to do SOMETHING and eventually you should get into the groove,
  • melruiz5
    melruiz5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I didn't have motivation to get out of bed, for a long time. i Worked out afterwork. i would make dinner, and while the family ate, i would workout and then i would eat. . . well i missed a day and another and another and ebfore you know it, i was too exhausted to workout by the time i got home. I FORCED myself to get up 30 minutes early one day. I told myself, it's only 30 minutes and you will feel SOO much better and I do EVERYTIME!! Just Do IT< like nike says lol Now, i get up at 4:50 on work days and do my jillian michaels 30 day shred. It makes me feel soo much better because NOW before I get in the shower, in the morning, i feel like i NEED a shower, not just bc i need to wake up, but bc I am sweaty lol YOU CAN DO IT!!!:happy: Plus you will have energy to get through the day, which is a HUGE Plus also :bigsmile:
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It's hard to get into a routine, but once you do, it will be fine. You can have a nice burn in half an hour, so there is really no excuse. I had to make myself take the time for work outs and have now scheduled them into my bb - will put them into my work calendar tomorrow, so people know I won't be available after my official day has finished, plus, my work BB will annoy me with appointments ^^

Anyway, even if you do not make a work out, you can incorperate more moving about into your daily routine. Maybe leave the bus one stop before the rgular one, use the staisr rather then the lift... get up and see the colleague next door rather than sending them a lazy email ^^
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    Start by signing up for a single weekly fitness class at a local gym or rec center. You end up working out with the same people the whole time and are more motivated to go. By paying for a class, it may be easier to find/make time because if you don't show up you just end up wasting money.

Ours here are usually all 12 weeks long, so it's not that much of a commitment.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/431684-pics-of-my-ginormous-man-muscles

Then, do NROL4W. Less time at the gym, better lifestyle results.

Come join, on mfp, the "women strength training" group and the "NROL4W" group.
  • brittster52
    brittster52 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    awesome attitude guys!!!!
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You probably don't want to hear this but you've GOT to find the time, you have to, it's there, just do it!! You'll be rewarded!

^this. You have to make time to work out. Many people on here work full, go to school and/or are parents. You have 30 minutes somewhere in your day that you could fit in a workout. Watch one less tv show, wake up 30 minutes earlier, go to the gym on your lunch break, etc.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you go to school, you can study while you work out. I see lots of people reading text books as they use the treadmill or the stationary bike. There is always a work around. I go after work, I tell my family dinner is now served at 7pm instead of 5pm. I hope you can work it out, good luck to you.
  • carrieanthony
    carrieanthony Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That was always my excuse too. Now my daughters are old enough to get themselves up and ready for school so I get up with my husband at 4:30. He goes to work and I go to the gym for 45 minutes - an hour and go home and get ready for work.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to work out, I make time to work out. I am a single dad raising two kids, work full time, and my office is over an hour from my home. Yet I lift 6 days a week. If it is important to you, nothing will stop you from doing it. If it is not, nothing will make you do it. Only you can decide if you really want it.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Full-time job, 2nd part-time "job" doing photography, 3 kids five and under, no excuses.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Going to work and school is tough, but you can make time for exercise. Once you start, you will find you also have more energy for exercise. Remember, you don't necessarily need a lot of time to exercise, you can even break it into smaller chunks of time (do 3 sessions of 10 minutes in a day rather than one session of 30 minutes). Keep in mind, any exercise is better than none. Don't overlook combining exercise with chores either, raking and push-mowing burn lots of calories and get the heart going.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    No one has time. If its important enough to you, you just find a way to schedule it in
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    63965d1371105188-240z-sunroof-zombie-thread.jpg
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Being too busy is the number one excuse, couldn't think of anything more original?

I guarantee you there are people way busier than you who have accomplished more than you even dream.

As far as the 1200 calories go, you probably need to be eat a bit more anyway. I have no idea what your stats are but I'm just guessing seeing as how pretty much no one needs a 1200 calorie diet. Go look up some BMR and TDEE calculators and figure out what you need to eat on days you workout and then what you need to eat on days you don't workout (which sounds like most days for you) so that way you are still consistently at a deficit even on days you don't workout.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I love this :heart: thread!! I have been feeling the same way. I know it's all just excuses!! I have been struggling just to wake up for work in the morning. I am going to take the advice of waking up early and doing 30 minutes before my morning shower. Maybe this is what I need to break the sleepy cycle and get back to working out!!

Thanks OP for posting this and thanks to all who responded.....we can do this!!!
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    You just do it, you find it. I have four children, a full time job & a handful of other responsibilities. I'm up before the sun & get to it
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    People do what they want.

You don't work out because you don't want to. Weight loss is hard. I've lost 75 lbs and I can guarantee you that.
    No one can motivate you if you don't want to do it. The choice is yours.

this

I like what someone else said- some where - someone else is busier than you- and they find time to work out.

I work almost 4 jobs (3.5)
    Full Time
    2 part time
    and a once a month gig that eats up about 6-8 hours of my sleeping time.... so normally it wouldn't be that big deal but it seriously cuts into my sleep which is why I still count it) plus the costuming I do.

and I go to dance class 2 a week for upwards of 4 hours. I dance on my own for technically purposes at least 3-5 hrs a week and I work out 3-6 times a week.

When it becomes important to you- you'll make time. Period.

we all have 24 hrs in a day- you do not have any less time than I do- and I still manage to balance all that- working out and an out of town relationship.

All our problems are different... but for those who want to do something- they find time to do it. Period.