Options
    Congrats! Enjoy your new place!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I live in an apartment. Rent amounts to about 19% of my income
  • Kimbulee
    Options
    I'm in the UK so this probably won't help but we pay £725 for a two bed flat per month, we have to pay utilities on top + tv, Internet etc then we have the car, petrol, mobile phone and gym memberships etc... About £1200 a month all in xx
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Less than 33% of your income is ideal. We rented a brand new 2 bedroom 2 bath 10 mins from the beach in FL for $850. Our mortgage is $1000. Nether includes utilities. We didn't realize oil for heating our house would cost $2000 - $3000 per year here in Virginia! In FL it was electric and stayed about $60 a month :grumble:
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I spend about 10% of my salary on rent.... and about the same on utilities. I count myself very lucky, but I live in an extremely rural community in a trailer house.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    About 15% of our montly income goes to mortgage.
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    About 25% of our comibined fortnightly salary after tax.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    um, only about 15% of combined income pre tax. I live in DC Metro but we're getting a sweet deal. Walk to work in 5 min. WIll move soon b/c will try to have a baby this year.
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • plcarpenter
    plcarpenter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I live in the SF Bay Area in California, don't move here...you will have to eat cat food to afford your rent.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Mine is $550 for a single bedroom everything included except cable and net and that runs another $130 roughly. So about $700/month
  • modernsoul
    modernsoul Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When we do credit checks to see if someone can move into our place, the rule of thumb for them to pass is that they need to be earning at least double the rent. Ours is $925 for a two bedroom unit near the beach. The people that do the credit checks for us, want the person to be able to pay the rent, but also account for living expenses.

$925 for a two bedroom by the beach? That's awesome. What state?
  • elliott82
    elliott82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Mine's about 27% of my income. I live in Austin, TX and chose not to live in crappy college housing since I'm not a college student. So I pay a bit more, but my apartment is awesome.

I say budget like you DO have a car payment so you don't get too fancy and that way you can still save a bit of money in the long run.
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    We always make sure one paycheck (weekly) can cover a full months rent.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    My mortgage is €1250 a month which is more than half of my monthly pay, but my fiance pays half x
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    FREE! But that's because I'm an RA in college. Before that, I spent about 400 a month and that was sharing with a roomie.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    44% burt hey ho, I live in Greater London, where you can easily pay even more