Veggie Needs Help!

Options
I'm looking for suggestions on high protein foods that don't have a ton of fat. I'm a vegetarian that is slowly giving up dairy and lately my fat intake is way too high while my protein is not at goal. For example, today my protein is only at 36 but I've already maxed out my fat. My protein usually comes from cottage cheese (trying to give up), beans and nuts but those are sky rocketing my fat intake.

Any suggestions would be very helpful!

Replies

• rebecca_d35
    Options
    Beans, lentils, and tofu don't have a lot of fat. And I love quinoa, which looks like a grain but is really a seed. It has a lot of protein, too.
  • Thamantha
    Thamantha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I quite often have a glass of skimmed milk to top up my protein as the fat content is very low.
    Otherwise I would struggle to get above 35 for protein most days.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Legumes, whole grains, tempeh, seitan... all low fat, high protein
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Edamame, Tofu, tempeh.
  • Coleyrole
    Options
    try some fats that are good for you like avocados, almonds, and olive oils, that way it's not bad fat you are consuming all the time. I am lactose intolerant so I like to use veggie cheese or rice cheese, they aren't too high in fat yet they still have protein. check them out, hope this helps! :)
  • silentnacht
    Options
    Lentils and quinoa are both amazing and easy to prepare. Baked tofu is also great, much more flavorful than plain tofu. I love to have it on sandwiches.

I'd also look into protein powder - there are lots of brands of various kinds: whey, hemp, pea, etc. and adding in just a scoopful every day can really help when you're vegetarian. If you mix it into a smoothie you can't even taste it.
  • jesssbeee
    Options
    try making a fritatta, or a a 3 bean salad you can keep in the fridge and munch on when youre hungry or use a healthy side. use i can of chickpeas, i can of canelini beans and one can of kidney beans, 2 tbsp. diced red onion, minced fresh parsley, and toss with some olive oil, red wine vinegar and salt and pepper. its yummy, healthy and full of protein!
  • Katiemae242
    Options
    Quinoa is a GREAT way to get protein! This is my favorite recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/detail.aspx
    It's vegetarian, dairy-free, low fat, high in protein and Delicious!!
  • Avengertk
    Avengertk Posts: 102
    Options
    good luck
  • th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    how about /tofuvege stir fry with quinoa or couscous, Lentil soup ( you can make it low fat ) , Chickpea curry, Chickpea or bean burger.
  • jigenigma
    jigenigma Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian too. I get my protein from lentils (lentil soup is a good option in the winter) and greek yogurt--I like chobani and fage (be careful because some greek yogurts are very high in fat).
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Well if you are a vegetarian that is trying to give up dairy... I guess soy products. Edamame, soy protein powered... like veggie fuel, tofu. People have already mentioned other sources, like beans and quinoa. Good luck!
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    Although Hemp protein powder was mentioned, try adding Hemp Hearts (Hemp Seeds) to your smoothie or salad.
  • beckyyoungers
    Options
    Beans, whole grains, and veggies all have protein without a lot of fat. Whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, oats, whole wheat, etc actually have a surprising amount of protein. Beans of course have a lot, and hardly any fat at all. And you'd be surprised at the percentage of calories from protein in most veggies, like broccoli or kale. A bean burrito in a whole wheat tortilla with brown rice & veggies is a high protein, high fiber, low fat meal. Hummus and veggies are a high protein snack. Marinated baked tofu is one of my favorite high protein foods.

Cheese and nuts have protein but also a lot of fat, they are more likely to add to your fat percentage.

I'm vegan and I hit my protein target every day.
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    Uhgg duh on the quinoa and tofu - silly me!! Many great suggestions everyone! THANKS so much!
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Beans, whole grains, and veggies all have protein without a lot of fat. Whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, oats, whole wheat, etc actually have a surprising amount of protein. Beans of course have a lot, and hardly any fat at all. And you'd be surprised at the percentage of calories from protein in most veggies, like broccoli or kale. A bean burrito in a whole wheat tortilla with brown rice & veggies is a high protein, high fiber, low fat meal. Hummus and veggies are a high protein snack. Marinated baked tofu is one of my favorite high protein foods.

Cheese and nuts have protein but also a lot of fat, they are more likely to add to your fat percentage.

I'm vegan and I hit my protein target every day.

THIS!!!