Running question: strength train before training to run?

Options
I'm trying to figure out what I should do about training to run. I'm modifying the Couch-to-5K program so I can keep up with it at my own pace. I did run 1 min/walk 2 mins for 10 days and I did one day of run 90 sec/walk 1 min. My shins are KILLING me. People have advised me to do strength training in my legs so they are strong enough to run without getting shin splints and the like.

So my question is: should I focus on strength training and low-impact cardio before I try to train to run? Or am I just being a baby? The program advises a "rest" day, but I like to exercise every day. PLUS I have to walk an hour to get to work/school most days anyway. Rest is not really an option for me! Is it better to get in shape more by low-impact cardio or should I just keep trying to run? If so, how do I allay the pain from running so I can keep doing it?

Thoughts?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    A balanced diet and proper recovery is typically the solution for shin splints.

" The program advises a "rest" day, but I like to exercise every day" -Stick with the program.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I alternate running/weight training with 1 rest day. My typical running schedule looks like this:

Mon - rest
    Tues - run
    Wed - strength/cross train
    Thurs - run
    Fri - stength/cross train
    Sat - cardio of choice
    Sun - long run

Cross training can be cycling, swimming, arc trainer, whatever - just something that isn't running. Alternating days allows for proper muscle recovery. Protein is pretty important, too - make sure if you're running AND doing strength training that you get enough protein to help rebuild the muscle fibers.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Leg strength has nothing to do with shin splints/leg pain.

It's either overuse, poor form, or weak core.
    So you are either running too much
    Have bad shoes
    Or have a weak core.

The first two are much easier to fix ;)
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Ooo...duh...didn't even think about shoes! Shoes are SUPER important! Make sure you get fitted at a specialty running store to make sure you have the right shoe for you. That can make all the difference!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You can strength train while running. Focus on core if you are just starting out as it will help your form.

Re: shin splits - get properly fitted shoes, don't overstride and do toe taps
  • missbis
    missbis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    A balanced diet and proper recovery is typically the solution for shin splints.

" The program advises a "rest" day, but I like to exercise every day" -Stick with the program.

True, true. I've stopped doing the elliptical on rest days, but I still walk all over campus all day which kinda sucks. Trying to do my running on days when I walk on campus more so the rest day is actually a rest day!
  • missbis
    Options
    I alternate running/weight training with 1 rest day. My typical running schedule looks like this:

Mon - rest
    Tues - run
    Wed - strength/cross train
    Thurs - run
    Fri - stength/cross train
    Sat - cardio of choice
    Sun - long run

Cross training can be cycling, swimming, arc trainer, whatever - just something that isn't running. Alternating days allows for proper muscle recovery. Protein is pretty important, too - make sure if you're running AND doing strength training that you get enough protein to help rebuild the muscle fibers.

Thanks, doty! I look up to you and your running endeavors. You're a machine! =)
  • missbis
    Options
    Wow, this is GREAT advice, thanks everyone! I've been thinking about getting fitted for shoes and getting my gait "analyzed" lately, so that's something I'll definitely go do!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I would say you need to have some rest days if you are a novice runner. Its quite important. I like to exercise as well but I try and do other things like zumba/dvds/weights. I finished couch to 5k in august and ran the recommended 3days a week. The shin splints as someone has said are probably from poorly fitted shoes. My IT band used to hurt after every run until i got properly measured in october. Keep up with the programme as its fab! I would be running without the c25k programme! good luck
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Certified running coach here. :)

First, yes - the trifecta, in order of importance: SHOES. SPORTS BRA. SOCKS. Everything else is gravy. :)

Rest days are very important. You're likely doing too much too soon in the wrong footwear. Once you get that fixed, STICK TO THE PROGRAM. That's why it exists. You will get there, don't rush it. :)

Core strength is important, but also don't neglect having strong lower back/glutes/hips. Everything in the lower body is connected, and knee pain has been linked to hip weakness, as an example. You may not have any issues now, but something could crop up later. Agreed, shin splints are not tied to leg strength, but overall joint health is definitely related.

This is what my schedule looks like:

Mon - derby practice (which usually has a core strengthening segment)
    Tues - short run
    Wed - derby practice
    Thurs - short run/strength train
    Fri - rest or cross train (depending on what I did Tuesday)
    Sat- long run/strength train
    Sun - derby practice

Also, don't forget to stretch when you're done, not before! Stretching cold muscles offers no benefit.

Feel free to add me and ask more questions. Best of luck :)