ALWAYS over on my sugars!?!?!

Options
I try to eat a balanced meal throughout the day to stay within my calories and nutrition, but I always seem to go WAY over on my sugars. Should I eat less fruit?

Replies

• smartyart
    smartyart Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How much fruit are you eating?
  • panduhburr
    panduhburr Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I asked this same question. Ignore sugars from fruits, otherwise...no one would get their full servings of fruit each day! Just count added sugars. :) Don't sweat it.
  • soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am too, and I've seen on here that MFP sets the sugar bar pretty low. I go over every day, sometimes by more than 20 grams. I think as long as you are aware of what you're eating, and the sugar is coming from fruits and veggies, it's not so bad :)
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I never worry about fruit sugars!
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to that but I am always over too, even if I only eat 2 pieces of fruit a day!
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars shouldn't count against us on MFP, but they do. Don't eliminate fruit/veggies/yogurt because of sugar content - milk sugar (lactose) and fructose shouldn't be factored in - I just subtract my good sugar to be sure I'm not over in the bad, refined sugar ;)
  • LoneWolfBrent
    Options
    Fruit has a very high sugar content. Even though its "good" sugar", it's sugar nonetheless. And depending on far over you are going, it makes little difference. Now things like sodium (which I can never stay under my goal) or fat are the main concerns.
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've tried cutting down to 1-2 fruits per day because I tend to get a lot of sugar but I still go over because I eat a lot of vegetables and they also have sugar in them. Usually one for breakfast and one as a snack later on (before working out usually).

I still go over my sugars but not -95 like I used to. Also make sure to check the sugar content on other foods. Dairy products have a lot and some breads do too. Unsweetened almond or soymilk are good alternatives to milk if that is part of your problem. :smile:
  • applekoko19
    applekoko19 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hey I just had a quick peek at your food diary for the last few days... I would keep eating the fruit but cut out the cereal bars, sugary cereals and the energy drinks ( that's what monster is?!I'm guessing). The sugar sneaks in with the processed food. Not all sugars are the same and the ones in fruit are packaged in fibre. Maybe fruit and natural yogurt for breakfast with a little wheat germ for extra fibre? Best of luck with your weight loss :) wishing you a slimmer 2012
  • cg630
    cg630 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sugar from foods that are high in fiber shouldn't concern you too much. The fiber will slow down the sugar entering your blood stream which prevents a severe insulin spike. Insulin spikes will put your body in fat storage mode. So if you have an apple or orange with 30 grams of sugar the fiber will prevent a bad spike. If you drank apple or orange juice that spike would be MUCH worse because there's no fiber and that sugar hits your blood stream like a tidal wave.
  • Luvlynamazing
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded I got some awesome feedback and now know what to do. Much appreiciated:)
  • slowly_changing12
    slowly_changing12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    since i have been losing weight i have been worried about sugars too.......i was worried so bad until i became obsessed. lately i am beginning to learn to chill out from worrying so much. i began to accept that you cannot get away from sugars entirely. sugar is in everything, regardless if it is natural or artifical. so i basically told myself to worry about artifical sugars instead of natural sugars. that really helped me.