There's a Salmon in my Dishwasher!

Options
13»

Replies

• sacha_1987
    sacha_1987 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've heard of this before aswell, quite a few times actually on cooking programmes. It's safe so long as you pack it securely....although I'm not keen on Salmon!! :)
  • horaks
    horaks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You might like the cookbook "Manifold Destiny". It's all recipes you can cook on your car's engine during trips of various lengths. Pretty cool!

My father in Law use to put Hot dog on his engine-for our trip and by the time we would stop for lunch Wala-done
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I personally dont like salmon, but my hubby loves it, and will try this just to say I did it! HAHA Thanks for the awesome post, made me laugh!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Am I doing it right?
    dishwasher_salmon-431x300.jpg
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I've heard of this before. I'm still not going to try it. I like to keep my appliances and their uses all separate and stuff. My ancestors didn't climb their way to the top of the food chain to cook fish in a dishwasher.
    Be adventurous! Cook your dinner in the dishwasher and clean the dishes in the oven by burning the food off them. :smokin:

:laugh:
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I tried this last night, and it was super delicious! Just take a piece of salmon filet (mine was 1lb) and lay it on two pieces of foil. Cover with 1 T olive oil, chopped 2 cloves of garlic, and 1 sliced lemon. Then seal (TIGHTLY) and run in the dishwasher (with dishes and soap even!!) on the hottest setting with a heated dry. It should come out perfectly done!

ETA: It goes on the TOP RACK of the dishwasher!

Aside: The only weird thing is my garlic turned sea green. I think it reacted with the aluminum and the acidity of the lemon. It didn't taste bad, but if this bothers you, use powdered garlic or another seasoning, like dill.

Love that you are trying to be original and think outside the box, but honestly I would NEVER try this recipe, or recommend that anyone does. This sounds completely unsafe. Not only is not food safe (fish needs to be cooked at an appropriate tempature, for an appropriate time), you are in fact wasting energy in multiple ways (running the dry cycle, running only half a load, salmon where dishes could go instead, etc.) not saving energy like you say.

Plus, aside from my salmon potentially tasting like soap, do I really want my dishes to taste like salmon? :huh:
  • buzzbug
    buzzbug Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I tried this last night, and it was super delicious! Just take a piece of salmon filet (mine was 1lb) and lay it on two pieces of foil. Cover with 1 T olive oil, chopped 2 cloves of garlic, and 1 sliced lemon. Then seal (TIGHTLY) and run in the dishwasher (with dishes and soap even!!) on the hottest setting with a heated dry. It should come out perfectly done!

ETA: It goes on the TOP RACK of the dishwasher!

Aside: The only weird thing is my garlic turned sea green. I think it reacted with the aluminum and the acidity of the lemon. It didn't taste bad, but if this bothers you, use powdered garlic or another seasoning, like dill.

Love that you are trying to be original and think outside the box, but honestly I would NEVER try this recipe, or recommend that anyone does. This sounds completely unsafe. Not only is not food safe (fish needs to be cooked at an appropriate tempature, for an appropriate time), you are in fact wasting energy in multiple ways (running the dry cycle, running only half a load, salmon where dishes could go instead, etc.) not saving energy like you say.

Plus, aside from my salmon potentially tasting like soap, do I really want my dishes to taste like salmon? :huh:

"...as long as a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the fish reads 145° F, it’s safe to eat..."
    From: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/cooking-tips-techniques/cooking/bob-blumers-dishwasher-salmon-recipe-00000000022899/

ETA: I didn't die! Also, my dishes came out perfectly clean and non-salmon-smelling LOL

As for running only half a load...how big is your Salmon?!?! :noway: Mine fit in the space where maybe like 4 cups would have been.

And, like I said in an earlier post:
    I mean, we could argue if using a heated dry cycle or the oven wastes more energy...but come on :laugh: ...the point is the novelty of it! Live a little! :drinker:

But, if you want to play it safe that's okay too :wink:
  • Renaeen
    Renaeen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is my FAVORITE way to cook salmon! But I don't have a dishwasher at home...Every time I go visit my Mom or my kids--who all DO have dishwashers--we end up having dishwasher salmon. Every one of us can fix ours the way we like it, wrap our own (tightly) in heavy duty foil, and have the best tasting salmon ever!!! We have ALWAYS had success, never tasted soap and washed many dishes along with the yummy salmon. It's FUN!!!