17 day diet and heavy exercise

Options
I'm on day 2 of the 17 day diet, trying it for the first time. I tell you what, I've felt really tired, but I'm sure it's just a sugar detox. I ate a LOT of candy over Christmas. Anyway I am really enjoying the diet, but my question is about heavy exercise. I love snowboarding, and plan to go this weekend. On snowboarding days, I'm always famished afterwards. it burns a lot of calories, like in the 800-1000 plus range for a couple hours worth (depending on how hard you're working, powder vs. groomed runs, etc)

I'm afraid I will pass out if I eat the things I've been eating, and will just be better off going for something "solid" like a cheeseburger! Of course I really dont' want to work hard all week and then blow it on lunch Saturday. So any suggestions on what to eat? I was thinking maybe a good sized grilled chicken breast, but I've never eaten that without a salad or whatever, which I don't think will travel well to the slopes with me. Any suggestions on filling food that will help? I need to come up with something that will be substantial enough for heavy exercise.

Replies

• poppadop89
    Options
    I have no experience with snowboarding, but I have heard it works the legs and core pretty hard! So I'll take your word for it about burning a lot of calories for a few hours!

I have no clue what the 17 day diet is all about, so I can't really give suggestions if you're doing keeping certain macros low. (fat, carbs, protein) But if you've been on point majority of the week, you'll be fine with a nice juicy burger "post workout." (Having 1 or 2 scheduled "cheat meals" in a week can beneficial. It'll help keep you "sane" and should fight off future cravings.) Red meat (your burger, for instance) packs plenty of natural occurring creatine that helps build muscle. Also, the saturated fat from red meat is good for you too! (lean cuts and in moderation of course)

A great thing I came across: IIFYM which stands for If It fits Your Macos. Google it. If you eat mostly "clean" food throughout the day, its ok to have, say, pancakes and eggs with syrup for dinner. As long as it fits into your target macros for the day. So if you can fit that burger in, go for it!

Another trick to keep calories in check: went over your limit in grams of fat? Keep your carbs a little lower than usual. Just enough to fill the rest of your calories for the day. And vice versa.

Hope this helps...