Where are my Tampa/St. Pete MFPers?

Options
Hey there!

I surfed the MeetUp.com listing for fitness groups in my area BUT was thinking if I can find some motivated people near me on here...that will be one more thing in common as far as what we are doing to loose weight :)

So here goes...

"CALLING ALL PEOPLE IN TOWN&COUNTRY/WESTCHASE/OLDSMAR/DUNEDIN OR NEAR DOWTOWN ST. PETE!!"

Looking for people who are interested in weekend hikes, kayaking, walking/biking the Upper Tampa Bay Trail, People who work out at Anytime Fitness near these areas who might want to buddy up one or two days a week....

I am just beginning so I am not a good match for someone who runs miles a day or bikes 40 before work... but If you are htat person...check back in a few months and maybe I can keep up ;)

Replies

• Karlaki
    Options
    I live in St Pete and work downtown. Currently I'm taking some dance classes at Hip Expressions (Nia and Belly dance), and doing the 30 day shred at home. When the weather isn't so windy I'm out paddling my standup paddle board or kayak. I also have a bicycle. I'm not able to do high impact stuff and my schedule is fairly flexible...

Anyone else around? I'd like to find some activity partners.
  • cleoleigh
    cleoleigh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I live in St Pete and work downtown. Currently I'm taking some dance classes at Hip Expressions (Nia and Belly dance), and doing the 30 day shred at home. When the weather isn't so windy I'm out paddling my standup paddle board or kayak. I also have a bicycle. I'm not able to do high impact stuff and my schedule is fairly flexible...

Anyone else around? I'd like to find some activity partners.

Cool, How is the stand up? I have like zero balance :)

I live up in Town and Country, but work near Ed White Hospital. I like taking my dog hiking in Tampa out around Morris Bridge/Turkey Creek at that Upper Hillsborough Preserve area. I prefer to do it early on weekend mornings for half a day, pack a little lunch. I am new to it, so still just exploring. Also, wouldn't mind trying out Mayaka State Park.

We are on a canal in Tampa and will put in the kayaks from there, but this time of year the water is pretty low so it is mud LOL
  • Karlaki
    Options
    Standup is fun - and will likely quickly improve your balance as it did mine. The first day I fell a few times and was really shaky. Now, I'm much more stable and my balance has improved overall. The worst case, you fall in. It might be better to start in the spring when the water starts to warm up. Also, it's really windy right now so paddling is a challenge unless you have a protected canal or area where the wind isn't so strong. It's a KICK-BUTT workout too. Most days it's the workout that doesn't feel like one. I paddled up Weeki Wachee river this summer a few miles and burned 968 calories according to my Garmin. It sure didn't feel like it, but then my muscles started feeling sore 5 hours later. I love it!
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am not in Tampa, but my son is! i just thought it was neat seeing this post and thought i would reply :) strange because since he has moved there, I see so much about tampa! wishing i was in the nice warm weather and able to exercise outside!
  • Theresa0577
    Options
    Just moved from NJ to Florida...Loving it here. I'm in the Orlando/Kissimmee area :)
  • silverstardust
    silverstardust Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm here! In S. Tampa/Ballast Point area! Looking for some bladin' buddies...anyone game?
    :flowerforyou: