brown rice improvements

Options

Replies

• MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    what can be added to brown rice to make it taste better or add flavor and thats good for you, of course

I think if you get a good quality short grain brown rice, it's delicious with nothing other than salt. :D I HATED brown rice for the longest time. It was nasty. I knew it was good for me, but no way, wasn't gonna eat it. Then a friend introduced me to Lundberg Organic brown rice (found at Costco). I steam it in a food steamer and sprinkle salt on....I can't get enough of this stuff!!! I prefer it now over my old favorite - long grain white Basmati.

ETA: I also like to mix in a tablespoon or two of hummus with the rice on my plate. I love hummus and rice...so this makes me double yummy!
  • MonicaLee1982
    MonicaLee1982 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Try Furikake. One tbs for 20 cals. It's Japanese falvoring. Comes in meat, egg, seaweed, whatever. Totally delicious :)
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I bake it in the oven in chicken or vegetable broth. Or u can always add it to soups instead of noodles.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I also really like to do fried rice with brown rice, but I also like to make casserole-esque dishes with leftover brown rice. I usually saute some onions and garlic, and toss that into the rice with a little olive oil to keep everything from sticking. I often add in cooked black beans or pinto beans, as well, for added protein. Then I add spices, depending on what type of flavor I'm looking for - often ancho chile powder, cayenne, cumin, oregano, etc with diced fresh peppers and sausage (chorizo, or sometimes jalapeno chicken sausage) and an ounce or so of grated cheese, usually sharp cheddar. Sometimes I'll also add in some sour cream or plain greek yogurt. Then bake until hot, voila. It's a quick and easy weekday meal with infinite variation - sometimes I do basil, oregano, marjoram, etc, with tomatoes and mozzarella or a similar cheese, for a different flavor.

mmmmmmmmmmmm
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Brown rice, I can't believe it's not butter spray, a can of low sodium stewed tomatoes, some cajun seasoning and your done...it's sooo yummy. If I'm in the mood, I'll add a can of garbanzo beans or black beans.
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    bump :)
  • SuzyTaps
    Options
    while I LOVE brown rice with soy sauce, I also unfortunately have to watch my sodium intake. I have found beef and chicken bouillon packets that are sodium free and only 10 calories. I add a packet to the water and cook the rice in that. Gives it a little more oomph! Oh by the way, the bouillon is Herb-Ox. and it is yummy considering it is salt free! I also drink it when I am feeling hungry.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I saute garlic and onions in olive oil then add the brown rice to that to coat it then cook it as usual, it's like a pilaf. And I love my kosher salt. :love:
  • Mrslee23
    Options
    After cooking the brown rice, add a lil butter (about 1 tbsp), Chopped Cilantro & Lime!!! Yumminess! Enjoy!
  • lilbuddytatertot
    lilbuddytatertot Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    this is the most responces i have ever gotten to one of my posts... i feel awesome
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    I keep a few different furikake in the cupboard for sprinkling on rice. They add a nice crunch to the rice. You may be able to find alongside the soy sauce in your major supermarkets.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Anything you would use white rice for. If you don't like it, I don't know that it's a valuable enough source of nutrition to eat. That said, I like putting some corn and siracha (or other hot) sauce, I have no idea why it's good.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice baked - look up Alton Brown's method. Comes out perfectly moist.
    A good quality like Lundberg makes a big difference. I prefer short grain.

Any flavoring I add after it's cooked, things like diced tomato and pepper, garlic, onion, more garlic...
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Yummy recipe that has brown rice in it - http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/kalyns-stuffed-cabbage-casserole.html

If you don't like brown rice though, why not just eat white?
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I had a chicken bouillon with some imitation butter and some garlic.

Last night I made shrimp stir fry with brown rice

Shrimp
    brown rice
    green/red peppers
    onions
    broccoli
    garlic
    soy sauce
    I got the recipe from this site but didn't use everything in it I used what I had at home :)

http://www.diet-recipes.buddyslim.com/shrimp-stir-fry-with-brown-rice/
  • mari0605
    mari0605 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I mix whole red or pinto beans, pico de gallo & cooked ground turkey instead of ground beef.

My 2nd favorite is frying it in a little olive oil and adding carrots and peas and toping with a nice piece of tilapia.
  • jaredneale
    Options
    I agree with adding broth or bouillon to it. It will give the rice a lot of flavor! I'm actually in the process of making this right now with steamed broccoli and with some sea salt, maybe a bit of soy sauce.
  • jeffrey2584
    jeffrey2584 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    try quinoa....its awesome and a super grain
  • wendalyse
    wendalyse Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi. I love brown rice with drained canned kidney beans and feta cheese. You get your protein in there too. Sometimes I add salsa to that mixture too.