Scales: Is there a difference?

Options
Is it really better to weigh yourself first thing in the AM or is that a myth?

Also, digital vs old school scale? Which is more accurate and which do you use?

Katie

Replies

• chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i bought a healthmeter 349xl just like at my dr office. it is crazy accurate.Got it on Amazon for $150
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    you weigh less in the morning after you use the loo.

supposedly traditional scales are more accurate
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    90% of the time I am lightest in the morning. Everyone's body is different, though.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Always heard first thing in the morning is best and digitial is probably more accurate. Don't ask me why..........
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    1. AM is best as you should be at your lightest (no undigested food should be there hopefully).

2. The scales that show the least weight! Seriously, I like my digital Tamika, shows body fat percentage which is more useful than just the raw weight number (even if not necessarily super accurate)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Traditional scales used springs, which could stretch out. Digital is the most accurate.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    It depends when you poo. You'll weigh the least when you have just gone doo-doo, and are naked. So best case scenario is get up first thing (haven't eaten or drank water yet), go to the bathroom and take a crap, then strip naked.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    We have the traditional kind too.

I'm pretty sure it's off but it's consistently off, so...
  • Jenny_Bee
    Jenny_Bee Posts: 102
    Options
    My digital scale is all wonky. I had to weigh myself 6 times and waited til I got the same numbers 3 times in a row, because the first three times I was a difference of 1 pound each time.
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options
    It depends when you poo. You'll weigh the least when you have just gone doo-doo, and are naked. So best case scenario is get up first thing (haven't eaten or drank water yet), go to the bathroom and take a crap, then strip naked.

I like how you had three different words for poop. LOL
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options
    My digital scale is all wonky. I had to weigh myself 6 times and waited til I got the same numbers 3 times in a row, because the first three times I was a difference of 1 pound each time.

Are you using your scale on a completely flat surface? On my linoleum floor (that's designed to look like slate tile), I have to scoot my scale around to find the most even/flattest surface.

Or maybe it is time for you to get a new scale!
  • Jamie145
    Jamie145 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    lmfao
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I usually see a 2-3 pounds difference when I weigh in the morning and night. I think the old school and the digital ones are pretty much the same. I use a digital though.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    my old scale was great...esp when it weighed me in at 98lbs. but, it was also a clue that it was busted. i got a digital. easier to tell what it means. LOL
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options

I like how you had three different words for poop. LOL

Love it
  • poseidon9447
    Options

This made me laugh when I read it, but very accurate. Good use of different words for a bowel movement.
  • Hink4Iowa
    Hink4Iowa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    my scale and the gym scale weighs 3 lbs difference which one would you go by the least or the more
  • Txfiestagirl
    Txfiestagirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think any scale is fine as long as you are consistent when you weigh yourself. Weigh the same time of day with the same amount of clothes on or off. If you weigh after you poo, then always do that. ;) If you stick to one scale, you will be ok.
  • pixiesx3
    pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Whenever you weigh, you should compare the weight for the same time of day. Apples to apples and such.

I like to weigh in the morning at the gym/club so I am dressed when I do this and try to wear the same stuff or at least similar. I do not even take my shoes off. The scale is an old-fashioned like a doctor's scale. I like that it is in 20lb increments vs. 50lb increments on the lower slide. I don't have a scale at home.

I enjoyed your variety in your words. Here is another... defecate. (There are more and you can read in more detail on Encyclopedia Brittanica LOL) The scale weighs ALL! So eliminate your waste and void prior to weighing. Would you hold a bag of trash on the scale with you? hehe
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Always use the same scale and always weigh at the same time of day. That way you're comparing against yourself properly with no extra variables. :)