Running Shoes

Options
I signed up for my first 5k and will begin training soon. My question is... what is the best type of shoe to get?

I have somewhat wide feet with normal arch's. When I played basketball in High School, I always had to get a high top shoe to avoid rolling my ankles. I don't want a high top for running and feel completely out of the loop when it comes to what type of shoes are out there...

What is a good website to look at? What do you use?

Replies

• Mlehew
    Mlehew Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store like Luke's Locker or Run-On (or whatever store is in your area) and they will watch you run. That way they can determine your gait, arch and whether you are a neutral, pronator or supinator. Until you know that, it's not possible to fit you correctly. For example, I'm a neutral, high arch so I really like the Brooks Ghost or Mizuno Wave Rider. Depending on what you are there are many types of shoes from which to choose in all brands. Good luck and remember to start slowly to avoid injury.

Michael
  • kasandra_m24
    kasandra_m24 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sounds wonderful!! Thanks so much!! :)
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Go to a good running store and have a gait analysis. Its the only way to know what you need. Don't make the mistake I did and start running in the wrong shoes....it will only lead to pain. Good luck and don't over-do it! Its easy to get excited and super-motivated and run too much....and then end up with an injury.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other poster -- go get fitted at a running shop by people who know what they're doing. Try on a bunch of shoes there, and, if you find one you like but feel the prices are a little steep, go back home and search the web for prices. roadrunner.com, eastbay.com and holabirdsports.com usually have pretty good prices and have a lot of stuff on close out for cheap.

If you can't get to a store and want a general idea of what to look for, I'd start here: http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

And good luck with your training! Just be careful, this running thing is addictive. Next thing you know you'll be running 10k's and half-marathons!
  • slbauer63
    slbauer63 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    As was mentioned, your best bet is to go to a running store and be professionally fitted. I did this last year before the Cincinnati Flying Pig 5K. Boy did I get a shock! I had been wearing the wrong type of shoes and this explained why I had the pain I did. They will measure you, assess how you walk, and then determine the best shoe for you. I need a shoe with stability (had been wearing nuetral shoes which I didn't even know). They fitted me with the Brooks Adrenaline 11 GTS. Once I started wearing these I could really tell the difference when running/walking. They felt great on my feet and the things which had hurt previously not longer did.

Good luck to you and as the other person stated - start out slow. You will build yourselfl up to where you need to be for your race.

Shavonne
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I was told Asics. And that's what I bought. They feel great!
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have been a runner for over three years now and finished my first half marathon in October. I love Asics Nimbus shoes. They are my absolute favorite and I have tried a few others. Just remember, whichever ones you get, you can usually take them back after a week or so of using them if you don't really like them. Good luck!!!!!
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I swear by asics! but check out.. runningroom.com - or go into a store. they're trained to help with that.

Good luck with the run!