Do you REALLY need to match your calories?

Options
Hey everyone, I'm new here and have lots of questions. Mainly, is it really necessary to eat that 1200 calories a day? After exercise my calorie intake generally goes up to about 1800. I cant fathom eating that much in a day and losing weight. I usually net anywhere between 300-700 calories a day, but eat overall about 1000.

Thanks for your help!!! :flowerforyou: :happy:

Replies

• xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    i don't understand why you said father? you can't father eating that much???
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Try and eat your 1200, but exercise cals.. that's up to you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yes it's important to eat 1200 net calories per day. Some people can get away with less but the less you eat the slower your metabolism will go. Try calorie dense snacks with lots of protein/good fat and you can get more cals for less food.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i don't understand why you said father? you can't father eating that much???

Verb:

Understand (a difficult problem or an enigmatic person) after much thought: "he could scarcely fathom the idea".

not father...
  • Jingmae
    Jingmae Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there. A registered dietitian that I've worked with on campus said that it takes 3500 calories lost to lose 1 pound. If you break that down by the 7 days of the week, then that's about 500 calories per day, whether it's calories you've exercised or your deficit for the day. I don't always have 500 calories left each day, but it's just something to think about!
  • logden111
    Options
    If you do not eat 1200 your body will go into starvation mode and hang on to your fat.
  • ananda403
    ananda403 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 300-700 is way too low. Eating too little will make your body go into starvation mode and hold onto every bit of fat it can. And to the chick that posted about "father"...it's fathom...get a dictionary.
  • mandypandy30g
    Options
    "Fathom eating that much" that means she can't imagine eating that much
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You are going to see a lot of response....Go look at some old posts on the topice.

My opnion 300-700 calories is not enough! A defict is already built into your calorie goal.

Think of your body like car.....if you don't put fuel in the car it will not run....if you don't put fuel in your body it will not work how it is suppose to work.

Will you lose weight only eatting 300-700 per day....of course.....and even though I am not a Dr...you will do damage to your body and probably not feel all that great!

However, everyone has a choice...read some of the success stories! You will see that a lot of them will talk about eatting back your work out calories!

I have always eatten back my exercise calories and now I have lost over 75 pounds.....I never thought eatting more would make me lose weight but it did!!!!

There is so much educational stuff in the community...take sometime to read it and it will help to give you many of the answers that you might be looking for!!!!

Best of luck on your journey!!! This is a great site for support and knowledge!!!!!!
  • cricket_0408
    cricket_0408 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    :) Read again hon. I said fathom... not father :)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    eat close to the 1200 cals some people eat their exercise cals , some eat 1/2 some dont eat the exercise cals. I prefer not to unless I have worked out an unusually long amount
  • mshel19
    mshel19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i can never eat all my calories that i gain with excerciseing i dont think its healthy.. my diet is set at 1200 and i usually eat 1300
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Eating at least 1200 will keep you at optimal performance! You'll notice a difference in your energy levels and be able to give more to your exercise routine. It is possible to eat more and lose weight! Give it a couple weeks... you'll see:smile:
  • PDVanG
    PDVanG Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's very important for your overall health that you eat at least 1200 calories a day, but I've found I lose more weight when I don't eat my exercise calories (at least not the full amount). Eating more than 1200 tempts me toward higher calorie foods, so I try to stay away from that.
  • cricket_0408
    Options
    Well I've already learned a lot!! Thank you so much! Do you have a time when you cut yourself off from eating? I work from home as a medical transcriptionist and my last hours for the day are 7 p.m. - 10 p.m. (oops... supposed to be working now) ;), but it has just been ingrained in me for so long to not eat at night. About 6 years ago I lost 60 pounds (50 of which I have successfully kept off) and one of the biggest changes I made was cutting out night eating. Any opinions on this?
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    700 calories a day is not enough. You will lose lean muscle mass. Your BMR (metabolism) is determined by how much lean muscle mass you have. You need to net 1200.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    yeah, eat the calories, and your exercise calories as well if you are hungry. . .
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Well I've already learned a lot!! Thank you so much! Do you have a time when you cut yourself off from eating? I work from home as a medical transcriptionist and my last hours for the day are 7 p.m. - 10 p.m. (oops... supposed to be working now) ;), but it has just been ingrained in me for so long to not eat at night. About 6 years ago I lost 60 pounds (50 of which I have successfully kept off) and one of the biggest changes I made was cutting out night eating. Any opinions on this?

Others may disagree but a calorie at 7am is the same calorie at 7pm. Keep track of what you eat within a 24 hr period. I know it is recommended that you don't eat later than 6 or 7 because your body should be resting and replenishing system functions. But for overall weightloss it is simply calories in calories out. You were successful before because by setting a cut off time you are still in essence restricting the number of calories you take in within the 24hr period.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    :) Read again hon. I said fathom... not father :)

Such big words! :explode:
  • cricket_0408
    Options
    [/quote]
    Others may disagree but a calorie at 7am is the same calorie at 7pm. Keep track of what you eat within a 24 hr period. I know it is recommended that you don't eat later than 6 or 7 because your body should be resting and replenishing system functions. But for overall weightloss it is simply calories in calories out. You were successful before because by setting a cut off time you are still in essence restricting the number of calories you take in within the 24hr period.
    [/quote]

Thanks for your input! I agree that it worked before because it was restricting the number of calories. I just think the calorie I put into my body at 7 a.m. is different than the one at 7 p.m. because I have all day to work it off. When I eat that calorie at 7 p.m. my body isnt doing that much more exercise, walking aroud, etc. Does that sound crazy?

p.s. why can't I get the quote box to work right? Is there a trick?