Cut fat AND build muscle!

Options
hey guys, just wondering if/how I can lose fat weight and replace it with muscle? I'm about 23% body fat right now and would LOVE to get it down to about 17%. But I want to replace the fat weight lost with muscle weight. Does that make sense?? I would like to have well defined strong muscles without the layer of fat covering them up!!

Replies

• Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    That's going to be hard especially since you're a girl. What you can do is do heavy compound lifts (e.g. barbell squats, deadlifts, bench press) 3 times a week and it will help your body preserve what muscle you have right now so you'll have something to show when you do lose the fat :)
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    thanks. I've started lifting recently so I guess we'll see!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Being female you really don't wanna dip below 18% or you'll start seeing disruptions in female function. LOTS of protein. Low fat. Have 4-5 different workout routines you alternate. Also, Calcium and Vitamin D to support bones absorbing it. You'd don't want to lose bone density.
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    That's going to be hard especially since you're a girl. What you can do is do heavy compound lifts (e.g. barbell squats, deadlifts, bench press) 3 times a week and it will help your body preserve what muscle you have right now so you'll have something to show when you do lose the fat :)

This give me hope. I know it's close to impossible to build muscle when I still have 57ish pounds that need to go, but I try to get some serious lifting in daily...hoping it was doing some good
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    bump
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Being female you really don't wanna dip below 18% or you'll start seeing disruptions in female function. LOTS of protein. Low fat. Have 4-5 different workout routines you alternate. Also, Calcium and Vitamin D to support bones absorbing it. You'd don't want to lose bone density.

Pretty sure all my female functions are just fine and I'm well below 18%.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to build muscle and cut fat at the same time. The easiest way to accomplish what you want would be bulking/ cutting cycles.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

My goal is around 17%
    That is not unsafe for a female at all. We work just fine.
    And why low fat?
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Just because she is female? BULL****!
    The to replace it, you need to change up your macros, and yes...lift more. Lighter on the fats, heavier on proteins mid on carbs....I have a friend that went - 20/35/45 F/C/P

Mix up your diet and you wil find the right path.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Here's the facts: You really can't put on muscle while on calorie deficit with the exception of:

1. Very obese/overweight and lifting
    2. Athlete returning to lifting after a long layoff
    3. A newbie who's never lifted before.

And even then, the muscle growth is not much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You won't be able to do both on a static caloric diet. You need a cyclical diet, or like has been said, cutting/bulking cycles.

Low fat so you don't get fat. Easy
  • stephanielindley422
    Options

My goal is around 17%
    That is not unsafe for a female at all. We work just fine.
    And why low fat?

17% is about what I'm going for too, It's going to be a long road but I'll get there....and I'm sure I will still be a girl with I do. LOL
  • PetitePerfection
    Options
    It's difficult to build muscle and cut fat at the same time. The easiest way to accomplish what you want would be bulking/ cutting cycles.
    What's that?
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Really? And you base this on what facts? Are you a doctor?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    This isn't true. There are many fitness competitors that compete at 15%-18% and some have had to leave the stage because of TOM.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Rae6503
    Options
    What's that?

It's what body builders do. What I'm trying to do now. Eat at a calorie surplus (more than it'd take to maintain) while lifing heavy 3-4 days a week. This builds actual muscle mass. Do this for a few months. You will gain small amounts of fat with any muscle gained. Then eat at a slight calorie deficit to cut fat for a few months. Repeat as much as you want.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What's that?
    You bulk up on calorie surplus for awhile then cut on calorie deficit for about 16 weeks.

IDEA Fitness member
  • PetitePerfection
    Options
    What's that?

It's what body builders do. What I'm trying to do now. Eat at a calorie surplus (more than it'd take to maintain) while lifing heavy 3-4 days a week. This builds actual muscle mass. Do this for a few months. You will gain small amounts of fat with any muscle gained. Then eat at a slight calorie deficit to cut fat for a few months. Repeat as much as you want.
    Does it work? EAting at MORE than maintenance really really scares me, coming from an ED past :ohwell: but if it works I might try it
  • Rae6503
    Options
    What's that?

Does it work? EAting at MORE than maintenance really really scares me, coming from an ED past :ohwell: but if it works I might try it

I'm definitely gaining muscle. I'm gaining fat too which is scary and I'll totally admit to freaking out just like a week ago and almost giving up. But I'm up 8lbs now in 3.5 months yet my size 6 jeans all still fit. We'll see for sure what a difference it makes when I cut in a couple of months.
  • lenny776
    Options
    http://www.military.com/military-fitness/weight-loss/lift-to-lose

This article helped me out a lot! Building muscle keeps your metabolism working longer and will help to cut fat