High fruit intake = unhealthy???

Options
Hello everyone,

When I go into diet mode I tend to eat a lot of fruit and love my one yghurt a day. I have a real sweet tooth and that's the way I handle loosing chocolate and such - I always exceed my daily allowance (24 g) of sugar, and sometimes by a ridiculous amount! When I look back, all I've had that day will be like, three pieces of fruit and then a few grams here and there from other (healthy!) foods.

Today, for example, a yoghurt smoothie product by Pauls with real fruit blended in (berries) = 31 grams. Already exceeded my allowance with this tiny bottle of light yoghurt. (???)

Does anyone have a similar problem with this? I've pretty much decided to ignore the sugar counter so long as I am eating sugars from natrual or healthy sources. I mean, it seems kinda silly.

Replies

• bookwormie
    bookwormie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I wonder about that too. It seems if I have 2 fruits in a day I always exceed the sugar amount. I'm guessing it isn't too bad, because it's natural sugar? I'm vegetarian, so I've often gone over on the fiber, Vitamin A and C, too.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much decided to ignore the sugar counter so long as I am eating sugars from natrual or healthy sources. I mean, it seems kinda silly.

This is what I decided. Even if the natural sugars are doing me harm, the other things in the fruit are so awesome that it balances it out. And unless you're diabetic, sugar isn't really much of a problem.
  • Thulpa
    Thulpa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Use fruits to offset your sweet tooth. If you are eating more natural fruits, then you are eating less processed sweets. As you "lose" your sweet tooth, then adjust how much you eat.

If you want to go to the other end of the spectrum, there is a model that eats 30 bananas a day, There is enough amino acids and nutrients for her, though that is a very extreme diet.
  • NsRhea
    NsRhea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I spoke to a nutritionist where I work and she said "Ignore it as long as it's coming from healthy sources. Calories are more important to take into consideration." Bananas have like 19g, so to sit under 24g is ridiculous.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    it's about balance and what goals you have. If you just want to feel better & sub fruit for white sugars and candy & such, that's ok but you may not achieve a weight loss goal plus you miss other important nutrients. A commercial smoothie with "fruit blended in" sounds closer to a milkshake than a piece of fruit. Eat your fruits whole, the way they come naturally, and look at all the nutrition categories. are you getting enough protein, vitamin A, complex carbs (think whole grains), potassium, etc? If weight loss is your main goal, you may find you have to limit fruits to no more than 2 or 3 a day, and get them early so you can use up the sugars during your workouts and your day.
  • kristindesigner
    kristindesigner Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree! I love apples, and one large Honey Crisp apple basically nukes my sugar intake for the day. I have started to ignore the sugar counter, too.

When I was whipping myself into shape for my wedding, though, my trainer told me to eat only blueberries for fruit. Just one cup of blueberries, and that's all the fruit you get for the day. I thought he was nuts at first, but after a few days, I didn't crave fruit anyway. I'm just like you - BIG sweet tooth. But I've found that the more sweets I have, whether they be pie or an orange, the more sweets I want. If you can go a couple days without sugary fruits, you may find you don't want them much anymore.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I eat a couple of pieces of fruit per week, however I eat probably 4 servings of veggies a day.

We should be eating more vegetables than fruit. To each his own though. People think they know everything on this site, so I will leave what I said at that.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    there is no "healthy" sugar. Your body sees it as sugar. There is a reason why most diets limit fruit. It's not junk food, but you can eat better. Eat vegetables.