Is this dangerous?

Options
I have senna tablets, because I am pretty irregular, but I rarely ever use them. My irregularity has increased recently, and I feel kind of gross. I haven't used a senna tablet since June, and was wondering if it is a dangerous thing to do to take one, just so i can "clear out" in a sense. No, I am not addicted, nor using this as a weight loss by any means, but I just wanted to get some input. Thanks!

Replies

• jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    Have you tried other methods like increasing fiber, eating spicy foods, exercising in the morning? or drinking some coffee in the morning
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what a senna tablet but I am assuming it's either a laxative or a stool softener. If you're irregularity is bothersome than I say go for it! Hope you get around to feeling 'regular' :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Yeah I would try to fix it without that first.

Eat lots of fruits and veggies, drink water, do some cardio.
  • momma2jillian07
    momma2jillian07 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Adding probiotics can and will help with occasional irregularity. Trust me, I know ;)
  • aquapussy
    aquapussy Posts: 112
    Options
    lol, no it's not dangerous, that's what they are for! I occasionally take ex-lax when needed, or eat figs.... oh god... the holiday fig massacre in my guts was not pretty. No more figs.
  • deltagreen
    deltagreen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    As someone who is fairly irregular (I eat activia everyday btw), I drink what's called "laxatea". I get it at walmart for like...3 bucks and it works very well.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Senna is a natural laxative and will not hurt you if used when feeling backed up. Using it several times a week on a regular basis is not the best idea especially for younger folks. Do drink lots of water with it too!
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    If you have tried non-drug remedies for "going", then by all means use the senna unless you have a medical condition that contraindicates it. There is more danger of long term damage and/or complications from chronic constipation than from using the occasional laxative, unless you have a medical condition that prohibits it. Feel better soon!
  • ulejas
    ulejas Posts: 4
    Options
    Fiber is the key if you ask me. I tried probiotics for about a month and it stop everything. Very uncomfortable.. Don't let that scare you, at least try it because it works for a lot of people. Once I started maintaining a health dose of fiber everything that has bothered went away.

Sunshine is correct............ and should be stated again. Raw veggies, fruit and 8 cups of water a day, will do wonders. ....
  • Talirae9
    Talirae9 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You could also try a tea called Yogi - Get Regular to get things going if you need to. I recommend it to everyone!