Protein Powder of choice

Options
So I am about to start using protein powder in my recipes but how do I know which one to get. Is there a brand that you prefer? Thanks for the input! :smile:

Replies

• mlh29
    mlh29 Posts: 40
    Options
    I use body fortress.. it is cheap, works well , comes in multiple flavors, and can be purchased at any walmart. Good luck
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Twinlabs is what I use; I like it a lot :D Designer weigh is also wonderful!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    EAS Myoplex or Optimum Nutrition ... but I much prefer the EAS..
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey

The way it's made is of better quality than many others and the 5lb bottle is $0.68/per serving on Bodybuilding.com.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey

The way it's made is of better quality than many others and the 5lb bottle is $0.68/per serving on Bodybuilding.com.
    I agree, but most flavors of ON are cheaper than that on amazon.
  • ChallengeChick
    Options
    I love my Body By Vi Shake. Its has awesome tri-sorb protein without all the fillers that other protein shakes have . It is also a sweet cream flavor that tastes like cake mix so I can mix it with milk, water, yogurt or cottage cheese.
  • Thulpa
    Thulpa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, EAS has tested positive for Cadmium. It could lead to other issues down the line.

I use currently Vega Sport Protein, whole food health optimizer, Sun Warrior, usually brown rice or hemp proteins

I have used BSN Syntha 6 in the past, and it is probably the best combined protein if you can have dairy, I cannot anymore. I found I am allergic to dairy. It is pretty cheap too, if you order from Bodybuilding.com. If you pay retail for protein, you are paying too much
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Just started using Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex.

According to all the stuff I read, it seems to be the least damaging to your body :P
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Just a heads up, EAS has tested positive for Cadmium. It could lead to other issues down the line.

I use currently Vega Sport Protein, whole food health optimizer, Sun Warrior, usually brown rice or hemp proteins

I have used BSN Syntha 6 in the past, and it is probably the best combined protein if you can have dairy, I cannot anymore. I found I am allergic to dairy. It is pretty cheap too, if you order from Bodybuilding.com. If you pay retail for protein, you are paying too much

thanks for the info.. going to check that out
  • thitch2013
    Options
    Visalus --- ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!:smile:
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition *natural* pro complex vanilla is great.
    I'm trying out their new Platinum Hydro Builder in chocolate shake and vanilla bean. The chocolate shake flavor is pretty great.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me why some types are considered better than others, not for taste/cost/etc, but what the difference is in quality and what really matters? I'm considering buying some protein powder but have absolutely no clue how to distinguish a good product from a sub-par one. Case in point, I bought High Protein Ensure the other day b/c I had a coupon. Pretty sure that's not what most people would recommend, but it was the best I could think of while standing in that aisle, only reason being I'd actually heard of the brand before and somehow felt safe buying it. LOL. Can someone educate me on what's good and if there are certain things that should be avoided for some reason?
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    Gonna have to second the Body Fortress.
    In both Chocolate and Vanilla. It tastes great every way I have used, low carb, low sugar, and 26g of protein per scoop, plus only $15 bucks at Walmart, can't complain!
  • maritenour
    maritenour Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Smoothie King- Gladiator !
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Its gotta be organic: Tera's Whey - Bourbon Vanilla - Organic, 22 g per scoop
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    EAS! I am much more worried about the cadmium from my oil paints than from my protein. :)
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

BSN Syntha 6 has a bunch of added sugars & fat in it. A non-issue if it fits in your macros, but most folks want their protein powders "clean".
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Whichever brand of protein you choose check to see how it's made because there's a difference in quality. You want a, cross flow microfiletered or cold filtered protein. "Stay away from ion exchange or any protein heat or acidic treated to get the lactose and fat out. The protein is denatured and looks like a foreign invader to your body sometimes which is why people have reactions to cheap whey." - J. Meadows (CSCS, CISSN, & Pro-Bodybuilder)
  • crixmix
    crixmix Posts: 30
    Options
    I use ISO Femme, it's gluten free, aspartame fee, with non-estrogenic proteins. It contains 25g of protein, 2g total carbs, 1g sugar, and 115 calories per scoop.