How to start training...LOL

Options
Okay... I have always wanted to run.... Jog..... but have always been heavy.... I read and hear train...... how do you start to train? start walking... Anyone have a ny ideas on how to start? I just saw the post on shoes.... does anyone know where to go in Arkansas? I roll my feet out and I ruin shoes...... HELP!!! I know I have to start out easy and build up...... I will take any suggestions.... thanks and blessings..... country

Replies

• careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use the Jeff Galloway training to get back into running. He suggests a run/walk method which basically is you walk for a certain amount of time and then run for another amount of time.

When I started out running, my run is not really a run. It is more of faster paced walk. From there, I worked up to a faster pace. I am not fast by any means but I was able to run enter a 5K event using this method and I didn't have any injuries with it. I hope this helps.
  • countryfatgirl
    countryfatgirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks ... I will look into it.... :smile:
  • StephJ0nes
    Options
    You know, when I started out, I just focused on walking a mile. Then, I changed it to getting the mile in at 20 minutes. Then a few days later, I started walking 5 minutes then jogging for 30 seconds. Then just adding 5-10 seconds to the times that I jog. Now,let me say, I am in NO WAY an expert on jogging. I have been doing it for about 3 months and started out huffing out a mile in a little over 20 minutes to doing a mile in about 14:30. And I usually do 2-3 miles 4-5 days a week with one day doing 6 miles. Also, my jogging speed is different than a lot of people I guess, I am 5'2 with short, fat legs. When most people are able to walk at 4 MPH on a treadmill, I have to jog it, I don't take big steps, lol! I hope this helps you! Just take it a little at a time, you can do it!!