Tummy Tuck Questions

Options
has anyone had a tummy tuck after they lost the weight?

I have achieved my goal and am actually a little under and have maintained for over 2 months now, so we decided that I am getting a tummy tuck in March to remove the extra skin in my belly and my love handle that won't go away no matter what I do
I was wondering if anyone has had one and how was it?

Replies

• kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    I know two people who have had one. My mom and one of my good friends.

My moms was cancer related. She had both breasts removed and then they used her belly fat for reconstruction. She had a lot of issues. Recovery was very painful, she got a MRSA infection, she lost her belly button, and she had some really bad issues with numbness and pain quite some time after.

My friends was cosmetic. Her looked great. She didn't have any complications like my mom did.

I wish you luck. If I ever lose all of my weight and ever have the money I would LOVE to have one.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    that same thing happened to my MIL- she had breast cancer and they did they same thing, her stomach ended up folding in on itself and looks deformed now.
    since I am not having any grafting done I am less worried about something like that happening

I think I am more afraid going under than the surgery itself.-which I have had 2 surgery (ankle and stomach for cyst) and did fine with those so not sure why it scares me and the recovery with 2 young kids is scary
  • wcsangel
    Options
    My best friend's mother had one a few years ago (as a 50th birthday present to herself!).

She looked amazing afterwards (dropped a good 2 dress sizes with ease), but she does have a very noticable scar. Her skin has always been quite dry and tight though, and her surgeon warned her that it might scar badly. There weren't any other complications though.
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    I understand I would be nervous too!! What are you going to do with your kiddos? I know IF I am ever able to have this surgery it will have to be once my youngest is at least 6. There is no way I could keep them off of me. But it is just them and I, so that makes it a little different. I am excited for you. Can't wait to see pics!!
    that same thing happened to my MIL- she had breast cancer and they did they same thing, her stomach ended up folding in on itself and looks deformed now.
    since I am not having any grafting done I am less worried about something like that happening

I think I am more afraid going under than the surgery itself.-which I have had 2 surgery (ankle and stomach for cyst) and did fine with those so not sure why it scares me and the recovery with 2 young kids is scary
  • zml_mom
    Options
    my husband is staying home the first 5 days and then my step mom is coming to stay a week and then my Aunt is coming down and staying the following week.

It will be really hard to not let them sit on my lap or pick them up, but having a good support system will help a lot.
    my 2 year old I think will be fine with it but my 1 year old is a total mommy's boy so that will be hard but I think he will be fine
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If you've only been maintaining for 2 months, might it be worth doing some strength training and toning for a few more months before you decide to have surgery? It could save you a lot of money! (Then again I don't know how much extra skin you have, what toning you've been trying, and I'm sure as heck not a doctor. :P) I'm not against surgery, it just seems like your body might need more than 2 months for you to decide if you want to have it! :)

That said, I have a friend who had one for medical reasons (had a huge abdominal tumor removed) and will second the suggestion of making sure you have someone who can take care of the day-to-day stuff around the house for a while. Even if you feel up to doing stuff, or if it only hurts a lot, keep in mind that you can damage the stitches/prevent proper healing without causing yourself a lot of pain (ie, you might not even realize you're doing it!)
  • zml_mom
    Options
    I have been doing body pump 3-4 times a week for almost a year as well as ab and other stomach exercises for about 6 months. I have toned up a lot but the extra skin won't go away. it' s not a lot but they would probably take about 7-10lbs away once it's it done and the swelling goes down.

I am not currently trying to maintain as I still want to loose another 5 lbs before the surgery but my body has other plans, no matter how hard I try to loose more it just won't go under 155 lbs and my belly doesn't change. you can see the muscles behind the skin so I know the toning is doing something just not enough.
  • mokpochica
    mokpochica Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had twins full term and am seriously considering a tummy tuck in the future because no amount of exercise will get rid of the excess skin. I still have more weight to lose and a lot more reading to do about tummy tucks before I would go for it. I'll be interested to read the replies here.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Makes me wonder how realistic my goal weight is if I have 7 - 15 extra pounds of skin that would be taken off in a tummy tuck. I hope to have one (maybe just a pani) once I hit goal weight and maintain for at least 6 months.
  • zml_mom
    Options
    I have been TONS of research over the last week and calling and verifying the surgeons certifications along with the anesthesiologist as well to make sure what their website and he says are true.
    I have talked to another mom that had it done and spend a lot of time online reading others peoples stories.
    I have been mentally and emotionally trying to prepare myself for the whole process.

as for the extra weight that is what I am assuming after talking to another mom that had it done, she was about the same as me weight wise with them same problem areas and they took 9lbs off of her so my ultimate goal weight is 145, I am currently 155 and am hoping to get to 150 before the surgery March 1st that would put me between 140 and 145 when it's all done and healed which is perfect for me.
  • mudya
    mudya Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I look forward to seeing your before and after pictures after you have recovered from the operation!
  • Hyperspace
    Options
    If I had lots of spare cash, I'd like a tummy tuck. I have a sort of ledge right above my bikini-line C-section scar. The skin stretched there when the doc pulled the baby out. I really wish he'd have made a longer incision! (The baby was huge.) The *only* stretch marks I have run vertically from that C-section scar. Somehow I avoided serious stretching elsewhere.

I got myself down to 102 lbs a few years ago hoping the fat would recede enough to allow the skin to recover, but even that didn't work. The ledge was smaller, but still there. And I looked too thin.

But it's not only the cash issue that prevents me--- surgery is a serious thing.

Good luck.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I had one almost 4 years ago after two very close pregnancies and a c-section. I did not need extensive muscle repair, so I went with a modified tuck. Basically, they just cut off the extra skin without the usual stretching of the skin and "relocation" of the belly button.

My recovery was easy. I did not use the pain meds I was prescribed and I was up and about within a couple of days after my surgery.
  • varnerific
    varnerific Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi zml_mom, it sounds like we are in the same boat. I have just about reached my goal of 135 (I'm 137) and 5'7". (Highest pregnant weight was 246). I actually had a consultation and am having the abdominoplasty on March 1st. I have TONS of extra sagging skin on my belly. My 2 year old actually asks to play with it. ("Mommy can I play with your funny belly?"). Not joking. I have had 3 large babies and there is just no hope for my tummy. My skin actually hangs over my belly button as well as the same regular "apron" that lots of us moms have. So for me it is just something I feel like I need to do for myself. I will be blogging about it when the date gets nearer. If you haven't yet, you should check out RealSelf.com . They have lots of women on there who give detailed accounts of their experiences with tummy tucks and other procedures and there are lots of before and afters to look through. The surgeon I'm seeing actually did a friend of mine's tummy tuck and also has great ratings on all the surgeon review sites out there. I'm pretty confident that I will have great results. Friend me if you care to follow my experience. :)
  • ChallengeChick
    Options
    Yes, I had one 8 years ago, after I had lost my baby weight ... but not the saggy skin. I have a high pain tolerance, so I was up and about out shopping within a couple of days. I did find out that I was allergic to cloth stiches however, so I had a pretty nasty scar, which I had revised 5 years ago. I would have never thought about being allergic to stiches... but its possible, so something to consider.

Have you seen the website makemeheal.com? Its a great website to communicate with others going thru the same surgery. There are alot of before/after pics and you can get a good idea of what you want and dont want. Good Luck!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    UGH I often wonder about a tummy tuck also. I have really nice abs now but this nasty loose skin. I just checked out some sites and stuff and am not sure if it's worth the money? YOu can only see my loose skin if I am in certain positions but it just bothers me. I am probably just being too hard on myself but I wish i could cut it off! I just read it costs about $8,500 though :(
  • cansmith80
    Options
    I've had a tummy tuck and I would do it again a million times. I had a breast aug at the same time. I will be a year post op this Saturday. It did cost me about $10,000.00, but it was worth every single penny. I do have a scar from hip to hip and cannot wear low cut bikinis. However, no stretchy skin or stretch marks. It also gave me motivation to work out even harder, because my abs are definitely more defined. I am not an advocate for plastic surgery if you can improve your appearance on your own. However, after having two children, my body was wrecked. I wore a bikini last summer for the first time in 8 years. It felt great! My surgeon is so awesome that he is lasering my scar to diminish the appearance at no additional cost. If you can afford it, go for it!
  • rcp1184
    Options
    sorry wrong forum.... it won't let me edit my post now. :smile: